Long Read on the RU board of what went down | The Boneyard

Long Read on the RU board of what went down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
good read from a supposed "insider's" perspective. didn't post the link because you would need to sign in anyway. it's on Scarlet Nation. anyway, interesting point:
and if posted already, sorry, but i've become hypnotized by this stuff.

8.) Okay, one more then I'm tapped out and off to bed.

The ACC's plan is not to stop at 14 teams but rather to go to 16 teams and they plan to do so quickly. I am told that they actually asked both Pitt and Syracuse who they would recommend for those extra spots if push came to shove? I found that piece of info absolutely fascinating. I don't know who SU's preferences were but Pitt's were believed to be West Virginia and Rutgers. My personal choices would be WVU and UConn but I guess I can live with Rutgers.

Apparently the goal is to make one more run at ND and perhaps Texas - and Texas alone - for those spots to see if they can make a deal work. However that is considered a very long shot so then they are likely to go after two of Rutgers, Louisville, Connecticut and West Virginia. If the league loses two schools - which could still happen even after raising the exit fee to $20 - I'm told that all four schools would likely get in.

Reaction Score
I would find it hard to believe that ACC would go with Rutgers over UConn. Sure they may have slightly more football fans, but UConn far outweighs them in basketball fans (both men and women).

Reaction Score
I saw that same story, verbatim, posted on another board last night.
If Cuse or Pitt prefers Rutgers it is only because they think the conference is too stacked. There is no way either would prefer Rutty over UCONN given the rivalries we have. That makes me think the whole diatribe is suspect.

Reaction Score
It was posted here before and the story had big holes in it.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If you look at the Demographics Nate Silver posted at the NYT today here are the top 6 teams not yet associated:

1) Notre Dame (The Whale) (2.300,000)
2) WVU (959,000)
3) Rutgers (938.000)
4) Kansas (768,000)
5) BYU (710,000)
6) UConn (619,000)

This assumes the PAC-16 and Missouri to the SEC as #14.

That's based purely on estimated national fanbase not wealth or geography or accomplisments.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
The obvious answer is for the SEC to take WVU and Kansas and the ACC to add Rutgers and UConn and be done with it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I heard from a couple of people (this are opnions, not facts but they are reasonably well informed opinions) that the ACC wants to take a shot at the brass ring (ND and/or Texas as full members) before they do anything else. It also is believed that the ACC sees UConn as a chip they can cash at any time they want to so there is no reason not to shoot for the brass ring.

Another item is that there are quite a few within the ACC who are silently intrigued by what WVU could offer but publicly cannot take a stance supporting the Mountaineers as a member of the ACC. A few people believe that (due to the fact that they've been rivals since the depression) both Syracuse and Pitt were told that WVU would be considered as a possibility (not a promise of a spot, just consideration) if the two BE schools would move as quickly as they did.

Assuming (I know what happens when you assume) ND and UT do officially come off the table, the ACC's best move would be adding UConn and WVU (if the SEC doesn't grab the 'Eers first) but it doesn't appear that there will be anyone courageous enough to be the first to openly admit that he would like WVU in the ACC.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
I like our positon if the ACC and SEC go to 16 to join the PAC-16.

I like it better than I did whenI though Lousiville was seriously in play and the ACC would look at WVU and Louisville as an expansion alternative to NYC.

I still think the NYC strategy prevails for the ACC. There's much more to leverage there long-term.

Funniest state of the day from Nate Silver: the Wake Forest fanbase.

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide (1.9 million estimated fanbase). Call me Deacon Blues (149,000 estimated fanbase -- smallest in the BCS)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Gotta love the Steely Dan references!

Reaction Score
I like our positon if the ACC and SEC go to 16 to join the PAC-16.

I like it better than I did whenI though Lousiville was seriously in play and the ACC would look at WVU and Louisville as an expansion alternative to NYC.

I still think the NYC strategy prevails for the ACC. There's much more to leverage there long-term.

Funniest state of the day from Nate Silver: the Wake Forest fanbase.

They call Alabama the Crimson Tide (1.9 million estimated fanbase). Call me Deacon Blues (149,000 estimated fanbase -- smallest in the BCS)

And yet we still smoked you last time we played you.

The ACC does not want WVU, regardless of what you think academics are significant in the ACC and WVU would be 60+ spots behind the worst ACC team.

The only teams in the Big East left that have a chance to get invited are you guys and Rutgers. Right now we are after ND and Penn St.

Reaction Score
And yet we still smoked you last time we played you.

The ACC does not want WVU, regardless of what you think academics are significant in the ACC and WVU would be 60+ spots behind the worst ACC team.

The only teams in the Big East left that have a chance to get invited are you guys and Rutgers. Right now we are after ND and Penn St.

I have no idea what your post means.

Reaction Score
Means we lost a bowl game to Wake Forest in 2007. Some tire bowl down in ACC country where 2/3 of the stadium were "Wake Forest fans". Didn't we give them a good 50+ pt drubbing in 2003 when we weren't even in the Big East... oh well.

Reaction Score
Means we lost a bowl game to Wake Forest in 2007. Some tire bowl down in ACC country where 2/3 of the stadium were "Wake Forest fans". Didn't we give them a good 50+ pt drubbing in 2003 when we weren't even in the Big East... oh well.
51-17 in 2003 :)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
And yet we still smoked you last time we played you..

Even though it was a home game for Wake Forest UCONN lead 10-0 at half. Id hardly say you "smoked" us. And, the UCONN band smoked Wake Forests' at half time. Im not much of a band guy but UCONN was really impressive that day.

Reaction Score
Even though it was a home game for Wake Forest UCONN lead 10-0 at half. Id hardly say you "smoked" us. And, the UCONN band smoked Wake Forests' at half time. Im not much of a band guy but UCONN was really impressive that day.
I would say that UConn definitely smoked Wake at tailgating too. Complete blow out. They may have had a larger quantity, but their quality was lacking.

Reaction Score
Good grief. Why and how did one of Wake Forest's 149 fans find this place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom