Long plane ride, who'd you pick? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Long plane ride, who'd you pick?

Reaction Score
I talked briefly to both Jim Calhoun and Geno a couple of times. What impressed me about Jim was that he is 180 degrees different than his on court persona. Very personable. Geno, on the other hand, struck me as being a little bit on the snide side. Like he really didn't want to talk to someone who wasn't important. Not at all like you see in video clips. Maybe I just caught him at the wrong times. Anyone else have Geno encounters?

Plane ride? Jim.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
In 1986 plane ride from Chi. to Houston, Richard Dent 1985 Super Bowl MVP. As a Bears fan it was a big deal at the time. If today woman Jennifer Garner. Man, E. Musk.

Reaction Score
If we’re including deceased individuals I’d pick Marilyn Monroe or Carole Landis. For the guys, Lou Gehrig or Richard (Dick) Winters.

Reaction Score
Men: Kobe Bryant (if possible)
Women: Maya Moore

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There's plenty of sport celebrities I'd like to meet. But to sit next to for 4-5 hours? I'm not much of a talker myself, and if they aren't either..... could be a long ride. People like Bob Gibson (childhood hero) for example would have been great to meet, but I don't think he talked much. It would be fun to pick Belichick's brain, but I doubt he'd talk much.

Now on the other hand someone like Mike Tyson. Now I think he would be fun. I bet he's got a lot of stories. DT too. So for a 5 hour flight, I'd probably go with someone like that.

I did sit behind Meryl Steep and Carrie Fisher on a flight to Chicago once. Didn't bother them though. (Ok I got Meryl's carry-on out of the overhead for her.) Took me a while to figure out who they were though. No make-up, wearing a hat and shades. Followed them through the terminal (O'Hare) after we landed for a bit, until we had to go down a different corridor to our flight. Nobody recognized them.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There's plenty of sport celebrities I'd like to meet. But to sit next to for 4-5 hours? I'm not much of a talker myself, and if they aren't either..... could be a long ride. People like Bob Gibson (childhood hero) for example would have been great to meet, but I don't think he talked much.
Gibson didn't talk much, but he did have some good quips. My favorite: I had seven pitches. Fastball, curveball, slider, changeup, brushback, knockdown, and hit batsman.

I wish I was old enough to see him and Drysdale in the 60's.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
If it could be anybody, Muhammad Ali in his prime.
If it had to be someone living, CD
I imagine she might have some fascinating insights regarding the UCONN WBB program and the various personalities who she met
I was lucky to have had 3 times together with Muhammad Ali, the first was on State Street in Chicago. I was walking and he was walking toward me. I said hello and a 15-minute conversation ensued. Yes I did get his autograph. I searched my wallet for anything paper. I found a folded small sheet of paper he signed it and we had a nice talk about a computer-generated fight he had shown on Wide World of Sports against a former champ. He did not win. The real strange part, I got back to my office pulled out the paper to show friends and opened it to find he had signed my U.S, draft card notification.
FYI I am 6'2' and over 200 lbs, I felt like a midget next to him. Mr. Ali was one of the nicest people I ever talked to.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Gibson didn't talk much, but he did have some good quips. My favorite: I had seven pitches. Fastball, curveball, slider, changeup, brushback, knockdown, and hit batsman.

I wish I was old enough to see him and Drysdale in the 60's.
As a youngster, I met Drysdale in the parking lot at the Polo Grounds. It was after a game with the Giants. His wife was with him, and he was driving a 1956 Chevy. He signed an autograph for me.

Reaction Score
As a youngster, I met Drysdale in the parking lot at the Polo Grounds. It was after a game with the Giants. His wife was with him, and he was driving a 1956 Chevy. He signed an autograph for me.
I met Frank Gifford and Rosey Grier at Fairfield University where the Giants practiced many years ago. I think I was 6 or 7 at the time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno would be my first choice!
Phil Rizzuto would be a great choice!
Bobby Richardson 2b of the late 1950's 1960's NY Yankees was/still is my favorite ballplayer of all time!
The woman I'd choose is Rebecca Lobo knowledgeable and a great sense of humor!

Reaction Score
If it could be anybody, Muhammad Ali in his prime.
If it had to be someone living, CD
I imagine she might have some fascinating insights regarding the UCONN WBB program and the various personalities who she met
And I bet she could tell some hilarious Geno stories.

Reaction Score
Geno would be my first choice!
Phil Rizzuto would be a great choice!
Bobby Richardson 2b of the late 1950's 1960's NY Yankees was/still is my favorite ballplayer of all time!
The woman I'd choose is Rebecca Lobo knowledgeable and a great sense of humor!
Loved Phil, “Holy Cow”, “That Huckleberry”, and always got a word in for his daughter Penny. Loved the way he used to call the pitch count. “Strike One!!!”.

Reaction Score
Loved Phil, “Holy Cow”, “That Huckleberry”, and always got a word in for his daughter Penny. Loved the way he used to call the pitch count. “Strike One!!!”.
Phil was great, also Mel Allen. I can still hear "Going, going, gone" rattling around in my head.

Reaction Score
Ted Williams. I share his love for Atlantic Salmon and the Miramichi River, and the Grumman Panther that he flew in Korea has always been one of my favorite airplanes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom