Long Island University adds MHOC for 2021-2022 | The Boneyard

Long Island University adds MHOC for 2021-2022

Reaction Score

>>"We are thrilled to be adding men's ice hockey to the sport opportunities for our student-athletes," Martinov said. "NCAA Division I men's hockey is one of the most exciting sports out there, and we are pleased to be able to provide another opportunity for young hockey players nationwide. Coach Rob Morgan and his women's ice hockey team proved this season that there is a real hunger for a chance to play hockey on Long Island, and winning a championship in their first season has been a great experience for our entire Shark family. We look forward to the same success for our men's team, competing in the classroom and on the ice, representing LIU as truly exceptional student-athletes!"<<

Reaction Score
Navy as the 12th member of AH? Interesting. The 3 service academies in the AH is insane.

LIU can contact UAH about creating an alliance and eventual conference. LIU does have an awesome logo that'll look solid on jerseys.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
College Hockey News: LIU Dives In, With A Lot Of Work To Do

>>While Thursday's announcement that Long Island University was starting a D-I men's hockey team came as a surprise to most, athletic director Bill Martinov said it was just part of the school's long-term plan.

"For people this came out of the blue, they didn't have the luxury of seeing the plans behind the scenes," Martinov said.<<

Reaction Score
Navy may have a standing invite, but that doesn’t mean AH will, or has to, wait forever.

Reaction Score
Atlantic Hockey seems to always want schools that don't have an interest in turning their club teams into NCAA teams. If I remember correctly, Atlantic Hockey also wanted Rhode Island to join the conference as well.

Reaction Score
Actually Hockey East was interested in URI too. They always wanted all 6 state flagships in the League. URI wasn’t interested though. I’ve been hearing about Navy hockey for 20 years but they haven’t been willing to make the jump. Not sure what changed. I think LIU would really fit perfectly into Atlantic Hockey.

Reaction Score
Actually Hockey East was interested in URI too. They always wanted all 6 state flagships in the League. URI wasn’t interested though. I’ve been hearing about Navy hockey for 20 years but they haven’t been willing to make the jump. Not sure what changed. I think LIU would really fit perfectly into Atlantic Hockey.

It would reset the geographic balance again from UConn leaving. 6 teams in a relatively compact area together in the East from Boston to New York, 5 from Rochester to Pittsburgh and Air Force in the West.

Reaction Score
Kind of surprising a coach wouldn't leave a start up D3 program for a start up D1 program. Maybe he likes Connecticut better than Long Island. I wouldn't blame him. LI is too flat.

Reaction Score
Kind of surprising a coach wouldn't leave a start up D3 program for a start up D1 program. Maybe he likes Connecticut better than Long Island. I wouldn't blame him. LI is too flat.
Usually that’s code for they told him he wasn’t getting the job.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Everything about this LIU hockey thing is super sketchy.

Reaction Score
Interesting read for sure. But I do think that the proper comparison for budgets is AIC or Holy across or one of the smaller Atlantic program. They are the hockey version of the NEC/MAAC in basketball. No expectation of winning national championships. But they want to play and compete. For the most part a bus league Though trips to Air Force are higher but I think they are subsidized or at least they were. The budget might still be too small but western leagues all have higher aspirations and higher travel costs. It is like saying Central has a lower budget for basketball than UConn or UCLA. It is likely true but they operate in different places.

Reaction Score
I imagine he is on the phone to Huntsville to get at least some guys. I don’t expect LIU to be the one, but does this ultimately set up a move by somebody to fill the 12 the slot in hockey East. LIU replaces them in the AHA and there is still a spot for the Middies if they want it or someone else if they don’t.

The other thing is that I think it is doubtful LIU is aiming to be Boston College or Denver. A more likely goal is Mercyhurst or Robert Morris

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom