Long Colorado Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Long Colorado Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
The best line in your scouting report for us is: "CU plays mostly man to man" I'd be a lot more scared if they were primarily a zone team. I think we have the horses to drive into the paint and get them into foul trouble... although I've been disappointed at times with our seeming reluctance to go to the hoop. (10th in the american in free throw attempts)

Reaction Score
Our FT% as a team is best in the nation as a team and we have a high ranked defense as well. If we stay out of foul trouble (and can get to the line), and hit our shots, we have a chance.

They block shots just as good as we do, which spells trouble to guys like Adams and Purvis that like to drive the lane. Their ability to hit 3's is troublesome for us too.

Our little run in the AAC tourney was predicated on hitting shots and playing decent defense. It's amazing how simple it can be, which frustrates me because this team has talent, but often times forgets how to play.

Reaction Score
The best line in your scouting report for us is: "CU plays mostly man to man" I'd be a lot more scared if they were primarily a zone team. I think we have the horses to drive into the paint and get them into foul trouble... although I've been disappointed at times with our seeming reluctance to go to the hoop. (10th in the american in free throw attempts)

Which is mind boggling because we are the best in the nation when we get to the line. You would figure that would be part of our game plan. That's how we beat Kentucky.....fantastic guard play and didn't miss from the line. I'm sure KO realizes this...hopefully they can execute.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Which is mind boggling because we are the best in the nation when we get to the line. You would figure that would be part of our game plan. That's how we beat Kentucky.....fantastic guard play and didn't miss from the line. I'm sure KO realizes this...hopefully they can execute.

Yep, we finished the regular season #1 in FT in the country at 78.5% and need to take advantage of this more. The 2014 UConn team was great too at 77.7%. Below are the leaders, and btw at #38 is Colorado at 73.8% .

FT throw leaders:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/free-throws/sort/freeThrowPct

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Anyone else think a big other than Brimah continues to start? I like the idea of letting Nolan and Facey absorb some early fouls. Amida has been effective in limited minutes during the conference tourney.

I agree that Nolan should be in there early on. Nolan could really be a wild-card for us as potentially a better match up against Josh Scott than Amida. Nolan needs to channel his 2014 play vs MSU in the E8. Everyone thought Payne would kill us down low in that game and Phil played solid 1 on 1 D on him without fouling. I think Phil is a better option against a seasoned center like Scott, at least early on, so that Amida can watch him and get a sense of how he operates offensively. Amida is still raw defensively, and while he's done a better job of learning to not try to block EVERYTHING, I'm afraid he'll be over-ambitious and get in foul trouble due to Scott playing more saavy offensively.

I'm torn on whether or not we should double in the post like we normally do against a team that likes to operate inside-out for their offense. If they're comfortable getting the ball on the low block and kicking out to shooters, I'm not sure doubling is the right approach as that plays right into their wheelhouse. If we do double, it has to be SMART and our rotations have to be on-point. As a few others have stated, I think I'd rather let Scott get his, stay out of foul trouble, and then lock down on shooters on the perimeter.

I agree we need to put some full-court pressure on them to slow down their offense and force them into turnovers or at the very least make them operate on offense later in the shot clock.

For UConn offensively, if Colorado is concerned about our penetration and not able to stay in front of our guys, that's great for us. We are at our best when we get into the lane, draw fouls, and kick-out or pull up.

Reaction Score
I like the Colorado matchup. I like it because it should be a solid test for us. A team that crashes the baords hard is something I'd like to see up play against. I am under the impression it could be a weakness of ours.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
EBonz has officially crossed over. His bad mojo is so bad that it has doomed us and is now becoming good mojo. Hoping to have a flow chart for the visual learners later tonight.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
YOU GOT A DATE ON WEDNESDAY BABY!!!! WHOOOOO!!!!!!!
What's this Colorado garbage? What's this bullsh1t?
I don't f--kin' care! It don't matter to Jesus.
But you're not foolin' me, man.
You might fool #cks at the NCAA, but you don't fool Jesus.
This bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man - ha ha!
I would have f#cked you in the ass Sunday. I you in the ass next Thursday instead.
Wooooooooo! You got a date on Thursday, baby!

....Nobody f#cks with the Jesus

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They seem like good guys. Not a fanbase inspiring any hate. They are excited to be playing UConn for a shot at Kansas. As a school with limited hoops success historically, that makes sense.

They say that the scouting report from the OP is spot on. They seem to think Brimah is the primary defender on Scott, when in reality has hasn't started a game lately and won't on Thursday I am sure. Phil is a better defensive match-up against Scott. They are hoping to stay under 20 turnovers. 20? Wow...if we can get 20 turnovers that would be great for our offense. Seems they have a lot of depth, which the posts above also indicate. But they will rely on the 3 to get their points. Those teams can be deadly or dead come tournament time. Not a team anyone should take lightly, but I'm a believer in defense winning championships.

Reaction Score
Here are full game highlights for Colorado (vs Arizona) in their Pac12 Tourney. We'll have to stay disciplined on their shooters as they make a high percentage of threes - that is going to be one of the biggest concerns (not as worried about their big guy). Also need to box out well on defensive rebounds. Not impressed with their transition defense and ability to stop the attacking penetration. Need to run, run, run.

Its actually good that UConn will play Thursday afternoon to keep the momentum going. They have time to rest/recover and return back to action soon. Keep it going.

For those with access to WatchEspn, you can see full game replays of Colo vs USC, Arizona vs Colo and Colo vs Utah. Select "Replays" and "Date: Last 30 days". We are pretty evenly matched. Should be a tough game.

edit: Arizona at Colorado - get to listen to Bill Walton IN COLORADO!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The key to the game may be turnovers. If Colorado turns it over 15+ times (which would be right around their season average) I think we win. We will limit their shot opportunities, and more importantly, get out and run for easy baskets.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
When Brimah is in the game, put Miller or Facey on Scott so Brimah can help by blocking shots. The PF is not a scorer but a rebounder so this will allow Brimah to try and block the shot by coming off his man. Not double teaming so it shuts a bit of the passing lane down.

Reaction Score
When Brimah is in the game, put Miller or Facey on Scott so Brimah can help by blocking shots. The PF is not a scorer but a rebounder so this will allow Brimah to try and block the shot by coming off his man. Not double teaming so it shuts a bit of the passing lane down.

Eh brimah guards the 5 every time he plays . You don't want him guarding their bouncy 4 , who will destroy him on the glass . It would just be harder to box out . And Miller has no chance vs Scott he's too handsy and will probably be slapped with two fouls by the 17:00 min mark.

Reaction Score
Just watched their win against Arizona. Both teams aren't the "traditional" west coast teams that you can outmuscle. Sometimes down low it looked like an older Big East game, with the refs letting a lot go. We'll need to keep our feet and rebound in traffic.

Their guards couldn't get into the paint well; Arizona got there whenever they wanted. But Colorado's interior defense was strong, and both Wesley Gordon and Josh Scott can block shots (each average more than 1.5 per game). If our guys don't shy away from contact, though, they should be able to get to the line and get Scott in foul trouble. They can shoot, but can't create separation, so we may need to get Scott in foul trouble and play straight up defense.

Watching them play what Bill Walton repeatedly called their best game, I came away feeling that, if we have bottled our AAC tournament selves up, we should take the game, but that this is the very type of team which--if we get a lead and let off the gas--could really make us pay. I wish I trusted this team as much as many others do, but I'm not there. This should be a tough game. If it isn't, I'll start to believe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep, we finished the regular season #1 in FT in the country at 78.5% and need to take advantage of this more. The 2014 UConn team was great too at 77.7%. Below are the leaders, and btw at #38 is Colorado at 73.8% .

FT throw leaders:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/free-throws/sort/freeThrowPct
Wow! The way we were shooting FTs the first half of the season, I would never have thought we had a chance to be tops in this category.

If we can just improve our woeful half-court offense, stay out of foul trouble, hold their own on the boards and defend like they have all season long, this team might surprise us.

The one area that concerns me most is the lack of having that ice-in-his-veins winning time closer. They've had trouble closing out games. If they be in position to win close games and can fix this one area, who knows what might happen.

Reaction Score
Just watched their win against Arizona. Both teams aren't the "traditional" west coast teams that you can outmuscle. Sometimes down low it looked like an older Big East game, with the refs letting a lot go. We'll need to keep our feet and rebound in traffic.

They're guards couldn't get into the paint well; Arizona got there whenever they wanted. But Colorado's interior defense was strong, and both Wesley Gordon and Josh Scott can block shots (each average more than 1.5 per game). If our guys don't shy away from contact, though, they should be able to get to the line and get Scott in foul trouble. They can shoot, but can't create separation, so we may need to get Scott in foul trouble and play straight up defense.

Watching them play what Bill Walton repeatedly called their best game, I came away feeling that, if we have bottled our AAC tournament selves up, we should take the game, but that this is the very type of team which--if we get a lead and let off the gas--could really make us pay. I wish I trusted this team as much as many others do, but I'm not there. This should be a tough game. If it isn't, I'll start to believe.
Watched it today as well and concur with everything you said. Adams, Hamilton and Purvis can get to the rim at will against this team. Gibbs might be able to, although I would prefer he stay at the 3 point line. Key will be if we can finish. Really think they will struggle to guard us. My major concern is foul trouble for us. Please start Nolan and lets manage the fouls better than we did against Memphis.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Watched it today as well and concur with everything you said. Adams, Hamilton and Purvis can get to the rim at will against this team. Gibbs might be able to, although I would prefer he stay at the 3 point line. Key will be if we can finish. Really think they will struggle to guard us. My major concern is foul trouble for us. Please start Nolan and lets manage the fouls better than we did against Memphis.

Got to hope that Miller can stop with the strips and other things he does routinely that sooner or later get him too many fouls. What a factor he could be if he can keep the defense honest with some inside play. His fouls just kill us because he can be so good when he is on.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Just looked at who they beat and who they lost to, and I find it strange that they are an 8 seed. They don't have any big OOC wins. All their big Ws are within the Pack-10.

Here's a case where we won't know how good a conference really was until we get further into the NCAA tournament, though seedings and locations where teams play, do have an impact as to how well one conference does over another.

Since the game isn't in the state of CO, I'm not too concerned, though I wonder how well each team's fan base will travel? Considering that each team has the chance to play top overall seed KU in the second round, a team that has a history of being bounced early, maybe that will draw more first and second round fans. I have a feeling that the building will likely be 90% KU fans and 10% everyone else, so I like our chances since I don't think it will be a hostile environment.

Now if we get past CO, expect the building to be packed with KU fans who travel very well.

I know that some aren't happy that we got the 9 seed in the top #1 region, but heck, we were a missed 3/4 court prayer away from playing in the NIT, so I can't complain we got a 9 seed. Considering some of our losses, and not killing it in our OOC schedule, I really can't complain. Eventually we'd have to play one of the top teams, and I don't see KU as being all that much better than most of the 1s through 3s. I might sound crazy, but I'd rather face KU in the round of 32, where they might play tight fearing another early exit to a lower seed, than to face them further in the tournament as they get on a roll with the F4 and Championship within striking distance.

I'm sure many wanted us to be playing closer to home, but there's no way the committee was going to put us in a pod or region close to home in light of our resume.

I don't hold a lot of hope that UConn will go very deep this season, but if they could manage to get on a surprise roll like they did in 11 and 14, and get by KU, we could be in for another entertaining ride.

I realize it's a big if, but if they can get by Colorado then beat KU, knowing our March history, teams in our path would likely feel the fear of God, thinking, not again!!!

Lastly, I'm hoping that finally getting away from the AAC teams that are familiar with how to beat us, and away from the AAC refs who have love affairs with the whistle, that maybe our style of play will do fine in the tournament where we have are full compliment of key players on the floor w/out being a foul trouble, which usually results in our inconsistent play.'

Anyhow, we got into the tournament, something that many of us didn't think would happen, so the team should find themselves playing with minimal pressure. Unless there are some big upsets along the way, we should find ourselves as the lower seed in all the games, which isn't a bad thing since they won't have the pressure of "you're supposed to win" on their backs.

We weren't saved from the NIT by Adam's miracle shot. We were already a lock, because Tulsa, Cincinnati and Temple also were. The only thing that would have knocked Tulsa out is if Memphis had beaten us yesterday.

Reaction Score
And Miller has no chance vs Scott he's too handsy and will probably be slapped with two fouls by the 17:00 min mark.

I swear it's like an involuntary reaction with him. In one of the games over the weekend he had perfectly fine position, ball gets thrown into his man, and he inexplicably puts two hands in the small of his back. Just completely unnecessary. Whenever he stays out of foul trouble I like their chances. He's got to be smart on Thursday.

Reaction Score
Colorado alum/season ticket holder since '09 & my family has lived in Conneticut since the 1920s.

Spot on assessment by OP & Matrim55.

I'll add to it-

Offense:

The Buffs want to play inside-out through either Scott or to a lesser degree Gordon. Neither are creative post scorers but they're both good passers from the low-post & every wing/guard is a legit threat from 3 except Akyazili. King & Collier are 45% 3pt shooters. Mileage varies on Fortune, Fletcher, & Talton but they're all 35-39% from 3. Scott will get his from wherever it's easiest. He's not quick-twitch & he isn't shaking anyone. He uses good footwork, ambidexterity, & patience to score with his back-to-basket. If his man is longer & equally disciplined then he'll use his range (~18 ft & 40% 2 pt jumpers). Scott is comfortable driving on his man from ~15 feet. Gordon & Tory Miller are absolute forces on the offensive glass & Scott/King will also eat up a bunch of our misses.

Zone is Tad Boyle kryptonite. Theoretically, we should be able to shoot/offensive rebound our way out of it but we're too busy forcing bad entry passes or being hesitant on the perimeter. We're too rigid about playing inside-out because none of our perimeter players can consistently create for each other off the bounce. Every game is a dice roll on PG play. Really hard to say which Collier or which Akyazili show up from game-to-game. Talented but immature & prone to silly fouls. If KO throws anything exotic at our guards/wings then it's going to be a slog. The one positive for us on turnovers is that our last 6 games has been our best stretch all season having allowed 12 TO's or less in each game.

Defense:
Gordon led the PAC-12 in defensive box plus-minus. He's been a top 5 PAC-12 rim protector for 3 years. Scott is above-average as a rim-protector. The only time either has fouled out this season was Gordon in the 1st game against Iowa St. Scott is on an 111 game streak of not fouling out. Our dribble penetration D is suspect. We're not supposed to take risks on D but Collier & Akyazili like to go rogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom