LOL this is getting insane... | The Boneyard

LOL this is getting insane...

Reaction Score
Not sure how this makes it insane? Dumb purchase for sure but I am sure Beck is getting paid well and can afford it.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
i was a big NFL fan….then I moved to Atlanta….started following the SEC and became a big college footballl fan. i liked that its wasn’t all about money and players switching teams for a buck. It was easy to root for college kids…they were trying to reach their dreams and they seemed to really care about their school and their teammates.

It started unwinding when kids stopped playing in bowls because they wanted to protect their draft status. It continued with more and more coaches professing their commitments to a school only to reneg on the commitment as they chased a buck at another school while leaving kids in the lurch.

Now we have conference realignment where long term rivalies which were loved by fans are blown up for more school revenue. Add in the transfer portal and NIL and all the charm and allure of college football has been erased.

i guess i am back to being a bigger NFL fan than college fan. At least the NFL has more controls on what the teams and players do.

Reaction Score
Stuff like this is what is going to force a change because it’s beyond stupid money.
The market dictates how much a player gets paid. QBs at elite power 4 schools get huge money. The fact that Beck maybe spent some of his money foolishly shouldn’t change anything.

Reaction Score
The market dictates how much a player gets paid. QBs at elite power 4 schools get huge money. The fact that Beck maybe spent some of his money foolishly shouldn’t change anything.
You’re missing the point. Gaudy excess always invites scrutiny and restrictions because it looks abusive. Here is an unintended consequence. The guy is only as good as his OL wants to block. If im a tackle I want my share, and a steak dinner isn’t going to cut it. It creates huge competitive parity distortions that are going to be a real problem for the sport. It invites bad money incentives when connected with sports books. If you don’t think guys are scheming to get plays money under NIL and then want a thumb on the scale, you’re living under a rock. It’s all bad. Terribly problematic.

Reaction Score
This is the "luxury" market where egos and affiliations dictate what someone or something is worth at any moment. While some of those egos will eventually get tired of this game and move on to the next thing, it's alluring for powerful people to be able to buy their way into the college sports environment in this way. It's just way too chaotic at this point and the Bowl system is wrecked.

Reaction Score
If there’s one thing a football player at Georgia needs it’s a car that can go stupidly fast
They'd better start enrolling these young men in driving courses. There's no substitute for experience on the road. That's why it's always been my contention that raising the driving age doesn't do much until you hit about 30. Either way you're throwing an inexperienced person behind the wheel and they're gonna have some moments.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
They'd better start enrolling these young men in driving courses. There's no substitute for experience on the road. That's why it's always been my contention that raising the driving age doesn't do much until you hit about 30. Either way you're throwing an inexperienced person behind the wheel and they're gonna have some moments.
there's a difference between inexperienced and street racing at over 100 mph

Reaction Score
You’re missing the point. Gaudy excess always invites scrutiny and restrictions because it looks abusive. Here is an unintended consequence. The guy is only as good as his OL wants to block. If im a tackle I want my share, and a steak dinner isn’t going to cut it. It creates huge competitive parity distortions that are going to be a real problem for the sport. It invites bad money incentives when connected with sports books. If you don’t think guys are scheming to get plays money under NIL and then want a thumb on the scale, you’re living under a rock. It’s all bad. Terribly problematic.
Maybe the QB buys all of his linemen Gold Rolex’s to keep them happy!

Reaction Score
i was a big NFL fan….then I moved to Atlanta….started following the SEC and became a big college footballl fan. i liked that its wasn’t all about money and players switching teams for a buck. It was easy to root for college kids…they were trying to reach their dreams and they seemed to really care about their school and their teammates.

It started unwinding when kids stopped playing in bowls because they wanted to protect their draft status. It continued with more and more coaches professing their commitments to a school only to reneg on the commitment as they chased a buck at another school while leaving kids in the lurch.

Now we have conference realignment where long term rivalies which were loved by fans are blown up for more school revenue. Add in the transfer portal and NIL and all the charm and allure of college football has been erased.

i guess i am back to being a bigger NFL fan than college fan. At least the NFL has more controls on what the teams and players t

The last 4
Lines of your first paragraph if ever true
Was certainly not the last 50
Years
Colleges thru boosters (especially the sec )
Have always paid players

Your views of some kind of “perfect amateurism “
Is non scholarship college sports and that is
Perhaps where u might want to focus your attention

Reaction Score
I’m waiting for the gambling scandal to hit and the defense will be NIL

Reaction Score
Not sure how this makes it insane? Dumb purchase for sure but I am sure Beck is getting paid well and can afford it.
Can he?
Even if he’s making $10M this year, he’s one injury away from making $0 going forward. And ask Ryan Leaf what it’s like if you’re a bust in the NFL.

I understand wanting to have some fun with newfound riches but I hope these guys are getting good financial advice from someone.

Reaction Score
Every college football fan today.

"These NILs are absurd, its too much money, it's not fair, there are no rules its the wild wild west.

same college football fans...

"These players deserve every penny and more. They are just kids and shouldn't be expected to hold their word/ commitment. They shouldn't be penalized for trying to better themselves."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Considering what happened with LeCroy & Willock, that's car has to provide the worst optics for that program.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the car is way overpriced.
If I am looking to draft a QB, the moment he gets that kind of car for college is when he is off my draft board.

Want no part of a QB who drives that car. Get a Cadillac Escalade or Mercedes - black. That’s what they should get. SMH. Bentley after first pro contract.

Reaction Score
No wonder he went back to Georgia for another year. He's making a hell of a lot more money than he would as a late round draft pick or UDFA. Insane is the right word for the current state of affairs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom