Lol, Nika on her three point shooting | The Boneyard

Lol, Nika on her three point shooting

Reaction Score
Impressive day for Nika. Being a 3 point threat with great passing skills from the 3 point line give us another possibility. She just needs to add a quick first step and blow by for a lay-up once in a while.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nika also added "I don't the making part (referring to her 3's) was ever the problem - just attempting to shoot it."

In ANY of the threads discussing Nika's play, I would often "debate" with other posters who didn't want her to play because of her low scoring - Nika is a really solid 3 point shooter. Always has been. Even better this year. It's just that she has been unwilling to pull the trigger (or in seasons with a better scoring options, she's rather dish the assist).

Geno also nailed it when he said (not verbatim) that last year Nika had the ball in her hands 99% of the time (exaggeration of course), but this season, sharing the ball handling duties with KK and Paige - she's worked really hard to score more.

Here is Nika's full interview. The CC transcription is pretty bad...

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
nika gave a shout-out to morgan valley too, saying she has been working with her.

interesting that kelsey plum also gave notable credit to morgan for her amazing record for scoring at washington. morgan was an assistant coach there when plum was playing.

maybe morgan has a special talent for bringing out the best in guards.

Reaction Score
Nika has had an unusual year. There have been many times, such as the first quarter today, where she appears to lose concentration and make several bad fouls, passes, or both. Other times, like Q2-Q4 today, where she plays like an All American, hitting 80%+ of her shots, making great passes, and playing solid defense. Its been fun to watch her skills, especially offensively, grow over the past 4 years.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It looks to me like she is releasing it quicker, ball rotation is tighter, and less arc, not a moonshot any more. All for the better.

This was especially good to see after Creighton, where her shot was out of sync.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Nika has had an unusual year. There have been many times, such as the first quarter today, where she appears to lose concentration and make several bad fouls, passes, or both. Other times, like Q2-Q4 today, where she plays like an All American, hitting 80%+ of her shots, making great passes, and playing solid defense. Its been fun to watch her skills, especially offensively, grow over the past 4 years.
And yet she had only one turnover. In the last five games she has had 1 or fewer turnovers. In 8 out of 15 she has had 1 or 0, in 10 out of 15 she has had two or less. Her stretch of five games in a row with more than two turnovers came after the loss of Fudd and Duscharme for the season was official. Since then she has righted the ship for as many games as her bad stretch.

In the three losses and our closest win over Kansas her R+A+S+B-T score was the highest on the team in three of those games, with only the loss to Texas the exception, a loss that came during her five game bad stretch. For whatever reason, instability in the line up seems to affect her most, but with a stable line up her game has not been so unusual.

Reaction Score
Nika also added "I don't the making part (referring to her 3's) was ever the problem - just attempting to shoot it."

In ANY of the threads discussing Nika's play, I would often "debate" with other posters who didn't want her to play because of her low scoring - Nika is a really solid 3 point shooter. Always has been. Even better this year. It's just that she has been unwilling to pull the trigger (or in seasons with a better scoring options, she's rather dish the assist).

Geno also nailed it when he said (not verbatim) that last year Nika had the ball in her hands 99% of the time (exaggeration of course), but this season, sharing the ball handling duties with KK and Paige - she's worked really hard to score more.

Here is Nika's full interview. The CC transcription is pretty bad...

I mean that’s all we’ve been asking for. Consistency. You can’t tell me you wouldn’t want to see this version of her night to night. I think that’s all people really asked for. And she’s acknowledged she won’t put the shots up in game (unless really wide open). Of course she’s a good player and teammate. Always rooted for her, but don’t come out next game and take 2 shots.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This is a huge from a self awareness perspective. She's been open more often than not, however will hesitate, as perhaps she doesn't perceive that she is as open as need be. This will be more dangerous as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
It looks to me like she is releasing it quicker, ball rotation is tighter, and less arc, not a moonshot any more. All for the better.

This was especially good to see after Creighton, where her shot was out of sync.
her motion in shooting is tighter as well or at least it seems like it is from her freshman year.

Reaction Score
nika gave a shout-out to morgan valley too, saying she has been working with her.

interesting that kelsey plum also gave notable credit to morgan for her amazing record for scoring at washington. morgan was an assistant coach there when plum was playing.

maybe morgan has a special talent for bringing out the best in guards.
During her playing days while her minutes were restricted by her planters fasciitis, Geno used to say how she had all the makings of becoming a great coach. Takes one to know one!

Reaction Score
her motion in shooting is tighter as well or at least it seems like it is from her freshman year.
Good point. Elbow is tucked more, body is both exactly vertical and horizontal to the rim. It usually means a miss is only short or long. Interesting how she said that it was not an issue last year as to making it but rather attempting it. Translation to me is that her set up was too slow and she knew it and now it is quicker and as you say tighter. A lot also has to do with the fact that she does not have the ball all the time and can receive an entry pass for the shot. I hope we will see a lot more of that pull up also, maybe 2-3 times a game.

Reaction Score
Good point. Elbow is tucked more, body is both exactly vertical and horizontal to the rim. It usually means a miss is only short or long. Interesting how she said that it was not an issue last year as to making it but rather attempting it. Translation to me is that her set up was too slow and she knew it and now it is quicker and as you say tighter. A lot also has to do with the fact that she does not have the ball all the time and can receive an entry pass for the shot. I hope we will see a lot more of that pull up also, maybe 2-3 times a game.
Yes I agree. It seemed to be a long wind-up shot when she was a freshman...lots of motion, which means lots of things that can go wrong-hard to have perfect consistency with a excess motion. She still isn't as compact as say Ash or Azzi, who both shoot as if their arms are simply levers, but there is certainly less motion.

Hope it continues.

Reaction Score
Yes I agree. It seemed to be a long wind-up shot when she was a freshman...lots of motion, which means lots of things that can go wrong-hard to have perfect consistency with a excess motion. She still isn't as compact as say Ash or Azzi, who both shoot as if their arms are simply levers, but there is certainly less motion.

Hope it continues.
I think it will. She is still working at it. I'll tell you what, if she can shoot that pull up off a one or two dribble fake left go right move, she will also find herself with quite an offensive arsenal. If she can get by her man and gets picked up, she will find the open man and even more assists will come.

Reaction Score
We'll see how she does tonight. Apparently her beloved cat passed away recently based on her Instagram feed. Could affect her play as she seems to be an emotional person which can be good or bad depending on the circumstances. I think she'll be OK.

Reaction Score
418425670_2743293629156696_7588286031544693491_n.jpg
418950863_2743293572490035_4061835205962462286_n.jpg

Losing your pet leaves you with such deep sorrow but the love and memories you shared will always stay with you. Hugs to Nika and her family on Columbo's passing...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom