LOL 7 points | The Boneyard

LOL 7 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
just call me nostradamus for my post a few hours ago:

This team doesn't handle prosperity well. It seems this year the magic number is 7. There have been 50 times this year against a myriad of opponents where we take a 7 point lead and then instead of extending we turn the ball over on offense and play bad defense for multiple possessions. Then we sweat it out. It's basketball, I expect all teams to make a run, but too many times the run is predicated on bad shots, turnovers and blown defense. At least make the opponent earn their run, don't hand it to them. The only thing that can overcome our rebounding deficiency is smart play.
MCJ.jpg

August_West

Reaction Score
Ahh the early post you regret later. Always has to be one.

nope, nothing to regret here. I am not making a boy do we suck post. I have been saying that it is uncanny all year that we always find ourselves up exactly 7 points so many times this year, and that seems to be the point that we take bad shots, miss defensive assignments. Turnover, etc.... It's just a weird thing. Other team comes back, we put back to 7 and so on and on.

Reaction Score
This team cannot handle success. Up 10 late, a travel, a poor last possession and bingo, the lead is down to five. I doubt we see Daniels in the second half so the team is going to have to play smart.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

This team doesn't handle prosperity well. It seems this year the magic number is 7. There have been 50 times this year against a myriad of opponents where we take a 7 point lead and then instead of extending we turn the ball over on offense and play bad defense for multiple possessions. Then we sweat it out. It's basketball, I expect all teams to make a run, but too many times the run is predicated on bad shots, turnovers and blown defense. At least make the opponent earn their run, don't hand it to them. The only thing that can overcome our rebounding deficiency is smart play.
MCJ.jpg

Don't you have a gig tonight?

August_West

Reaction Score
Don't you have a gig tonight?
I am off for the month recovering from ACL cadaver replacement + Torn Meniscus surgery which I underwent last week.

Reaction Score

This team doesn't handle prosperity well.
If your band is as good as your comments . . . then your band sucks.

August_West

Reaction Score
Ouch...how bad is it post surgery?
Pretty Bad. Just started Rehab PT Yesterday, had to wait twelve days post surgery because of the addition of the meniscus tear. I guess usually pure ACL replacements they try to get you started asap to keep range of motion and keep the quad from atrophying, but I couldnt do that because they had me immobilized for the meniscus repair to heal. I was biting a pillow today when therapist was bending my knee. Gonnat take a while.

------------------------
Yeah, I dont know why that picture showed up as my signature. I usually post from phone and it never does, but posted from computer and it did. Maybe when I first joined at added as sig, but dont recall.It is a pic of me sitting in with Max Creek, a legendary CT band who have been together for 42 years. Had to go to my settings to remove it, but it didnt remove from original post.

------------------------------------
And strummer, I appreciate a good troll probably more than anyone here, so please bring better game than "your band sucks like your comments". I'll swat that away like Okafor. I appreciate the effort though. Well done.

Reaction Score
nope, nothing to regret here. I am not making a boy do we suck post. I have been saying that it is uncanny all year that we always find ourselves up exactly 7 points so many times this year, and that seems to be the point that we take bad shots, miss defensive assignments. Turnover, etc.... It's just a weird thing. Other team comes back, we put back to 7 and so on and on.

this type of selective observation and memory really doesnt work

most every game between teams that are not completely one-sided can feature that type of give and take.

and if you think it happened today, we saw a different game.

in the first half UC led by 7 six times
1. UC led by 10, RU hit a 3 to make it 7 and UC answered with a 3
2. UC led by 10, RU answered with a 3 to make it 7, and UC answered with a 2
3. UC led by 9, RU answered with 6 straight (passing 7 on the way) to cut it to 3 and UC scored to make it 6
4. UC led by 7, RU hit a 3 to make it 4, and UC scored 6 straight to make it 9
5. UC led by 9, RU scored 4 straight(passing 7 on the way) to cut it to 5, and UC scored to make it 7 again.
6. UC led by 7 and scored 3 more to make it 10 before the lead dropped to 5 without touching 7

so RU runs in response to 7 pt deficits were 0,3,4,3,2 and 0......pretty much the law of averages

then the 2nd half
did you find it uncanny that UConn led by 7 points FIVE separate times in the 2nd half tonight and that Rutgers never got closer than six after any one of those times?
RU responses were 0,1,1,1,0

that's 12 different seven-point leads tonight that did not result in RU surges

checking a couple of other close games:
in the Harvard game, UC got up 9 and it it then hit 7 the only time as Harvard cut it to 2 - you cant count that game
in the Washington game, UC twice got up 7 and then stretched the lead - didnt happen there

funny thing is that when you look at it, you could make a better case that UC has trouble holding a 9 pt lead, but i wont go there.....

not gonna work at checking any more games - to me that's 16 times it didnt happen

August_West

Reaction Score
this type of selective observation and memory really doesnt work

most every game between teams that are not completely one-sided can feature that type of give and take.

and if you think it happened today, we saw a different game.

in the first half UC led by 7 six times
1. UC led by 10, RU hit a 3 to make it 7 and UC answered with a 3
2. UC led by 10, RU answered with a 3 to make it 7, and UC answered with a 2
3. UC led by 9, RU answered with 6 straight (passing 7 on the way) to cut it to 3 and UC scored to make it 6
4. UC led by 7, RU hit a 3 to make it 4, and UC scored 6 straight to make it 9
5. UC led by 9, RU scored 4 straight(passing 7 on the way) to cut it to 5, and UC scored to make it 7 again.
6. UC led by 7 and scored 3 more to make it 10 before the lead dropped to 5 without touching 7

so RU runs in response to 7 pt deficits were 0,3,4,3,2 and 0.pretty much the law of averages

then the 2nd half
did you find it uncanny that UConn led by 7 points FIVE separate times in the 2nd half tonight and that Rutgers never got closer than six after any one of those times?
RU responses were 0,1,1,1,0

that's 12 different seven-point leads tonight that did not result in RU surges

checking a couple of other close games:
in the Harvard game, UC got up 9 and it it then hit 7 the only time as Harvard cut it to 2 - you cant count that game
in the Washington game, UC twice got up 7 and then stretched the lead - didnt happen there

funny thing is that when you look at it, you could make a better case that UC has trouble holding a 9 pt lead, but i wont go there.....

not gonna work at checking any more games - to me that's 16 times it didnt happen

Sweet. I love when facts get in the way of a good rant. Nice lookup. My next thread will be "LOL 9 points." :)

It just has seemed that way to me this season. obvious not an exact science, it just "feels " like there has been so many times this year where we have had chances to extend 7 point leads (6-8 will do too) where we seem to give it back in a hurry.

Reaction Score
Sweet. I love when facts get in the way of a good rant. Nice lookup. My next thread will be "LOL 9 points." :)

It just has seemed that way to me this season. obvious not an exact science, it just "feels " like there has been so many times this year where we have had chances to extend 7 point leads (6-8 will do too) where we seem to give it back in a hurry.

I agree with your general observation or "feel". Far too often have we had leads of 7-10 (or more) and, instead of going for the jugular, we ease off, get lackadaisical, and let the other team right back into it.

Rutgers never should have come back to take the lead in the second half. Fortunately, we got our stuff together quickly and regained the advantage, and weren't really threatened over the last 8 minutes.

Reaction Score
A lot of you guys act as if we can just put them away at will. It's not that easy. There's another team competing out there.

I'm not in any position to bitch about a double digit win for a road conference game.

Reaction Score
Examples of lapses that come to mind was the Kromah foul with 2 seconds left and Napier's toss down the court pass to the cheerleaders on the opposite side of the court. The team seems sharper when the game is on the line versus having big leads. It's still early and hopefully they will work out these inconsistencies in time for the conference tournament, get hot, and have a nice run through the national tournament.

Reaction Score
Pretty Bad. Just started Rehab PT Yesterday, had to wait twelve days post surgery because of the addition of the meniscus tear. I guess usually pure ACL replacements they try to get you started asap to keep range of motion and keep the quad from atrophying, but I couldnt do that because they had me immobilized for the meniscus repair to heal. I was biting a pillow today when therapist was bending my knee. Gonnat take a while.

------------------------
Yeah, I dont know why that picture showed up as my signature. I usually post from phone and it never does, but posted from computer and it did. Maybe when I first joined at added as sig, but dont recall.It is a pic of me sitting in with Max Creek, a legendary CT band who have been together for 42 years. Had to go to my settings to remove it, but it didnt remove from original post.

And strummer, I appreciate a good troll probably more than anyone here, so please bring better game than "your band sucks like your comments". I'll swat that away like Okafor. I appreciate the effort though. Well done.
I know Mark Mercier a bit (super nice guy) he is a good friend of some friends of mine in the music biz (I'm a drummer) and he occasionally plays with my friend Matt Zeiner. What band do you play in?

August_West

Reaction Score
I know Mark Mercier a bit (super nice guy) he is a good friend of some friends of mine in the music biz (I'm a drummer) and he occasionally plays with my friend Matt Zeiner. What band do you play in?
Youre friends with Zeiner?! I Know Matt. Sat in with him and Mercier not too long ago in Middletown, Great player AND singer. I am actually in a band with mercier called the Big Yams. Yes, nobody cooler than Mark. Just a great guy.We do a bunch of old New Orleans soul and Meters/Nevilles type stuff.

My main gig is in a band called Shakedown we've been together 25 years. But I am in a couple other bands too, as time permits.

Reaction Score
Youre friends with Zeiner?! I Know Matt. Sat in with him and Mercier not too long ago in Middletown, Great player AND singer. I am actually in a band with mercier called the Big Yams. Yes, nobody cooler than Mark. Just a great guy.We do a bunch of old New Orleans soul and Meters/Nevilles type stuff.

My main gig is in a band called Shakedown we've been together 25 years. But I am in a couple other bands too, as time permits.
Small world. Matt and his girlfriend Cheryl are good friends of mine (i actually introduced them to each other). If you see them mention that you talked to Carl. I havent seen them in a while and just missed Matts birthday party because of a previous commitment. He recently bought a house in cromwell and is working on a pretty cool music studio in an out building behind his house. Good guy and definitely very talented.

I know of Shakedown (though i have never seen you guys live). Your band with Mark sounds pretty interesting, I'll have to check you guys out sometime. Obviously you are around the jam band scene, dont know if you would know him or not but Ray Paczkowski who plays keys for The Trey Anastasio Band is an old friend of mine as well, though i havent seen him in many years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

------------------------

Holy crap! I didn't realize that was Max Creek. I used to love those guys. They played South Campus one year for Spring Weekend. Great band.

Reaction Score

FrankIvy 6.0?

Reaction Score
I'd chalk this up to confirmation bias. You're looking for these moments now, so you'll notice them when they happen, but when they successfully avoid giving back a 7 point lead, you are less likely to make note of that as dis-confirming evidence. Humans are not great generally at "feeling" these kinds of things, so the hard analysis helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom