Locker Room Renovations | The Boneyard

Locker Room Renovations

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

From Axavier Bridges-Brooks’ instagram story… can hear someone in the background mentioning the state just passed a “couple of million” for a locker room renovation

I can’t post the video on here for some reason so if someone can tell me how to do that I’ll upload it. Still… seems like good (if not surprising) news

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
At the Rent, right? Because the locker rooms at Burton were redone about 4 years ago under Randy part Deux.
I’d have to imagine so? It’s a passing comment from a staffer that just so happened to be recorded while the kid was posting a story so honestly don’t have any more context beyond that

Reaction Score
Probably lumped it in along with the roof repair and cable replacing, etc. package
Approved June 2023 by state Bonding Commission.
“A new $2.8 million scoreboard and other improvements to Rentschler Field in East Hartford are among the many things the state Bond Commission is poised to approve Friday at its meeting.”

Reaction Score
Probably lumped it in along with the roof repair and cable replacing, etc. package
“A new $2.8 million scoreboard and other improvements to Rentschler Field in East Hartford are among the many things the state Bond Commission is poised to approve Friday at its meeting.”

IMG_0861.jpeg

Analysis of State Bond Commission Agenda Items (6/7/24)

Reaction Score
So if this was approved in June of 2023, does that mean it will be installed in summer of 2024? I would think to get it ordered, installed and tested from June to August of 2023 would have been a tough turnaround....

Reaction Score
Story and video from last year. Video briefly mentions locker room renovations.

Also says that UConn has re-upped with Rentschler Field for 5 years. Again, the story is from 2023.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They must fix a few issues with the concrete and wi-fi through the stadium.

Reaction Score
They must fix a few issues with the concrete and wi-fi through the stadium.
Concrete I would imagine will be a lot more than a few million. I'm surprised that wifi isn't being dealt with by a nice grant from one of the mobile companies but maybe the stadium isn't busy enough for that

Reaction Score
Concrete I would imagine will be a lot more than a few million. I'm surprised that wifi isn't being dealt with by a nice grant from one of the mobile companies but maybe the stadium isn't busy enough for that
Rusty rebar is difficult fix.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Rusty rebar is difficult fix.
Is that typical or is the rust exacerbated by the sealing/leaking issues? And when do we see the changes in the stadium?

Reaction Score
Is that typical or is the rust exacerbated by the sealing/leaking issues? And when do we see the changes in the stadium?
No that’s not typical, but when water gets in through a roof with gigantic holes in it, the rebar will rust if the sealing job is not done right. The fact that there is rust creep all over and people are not sure where it’s coming from might be cause for concern. There was a famous bridge collapse in Italy a few years ago that fell for that very reason.

Reaction Score
No that’s not typical, but when water gets in through a roof with gigantic holes in it, the rebar will rust if the sealing job is not done right. The fact that there is rust creep all over and people are not sure where it’s coming from might be cause for concern. There was a famous bridge collapse in Italy a few years ago that fell for that very reason.
Another issue with the lowest bidder. You eventually get what you pay for.

Reaction Score
Another issue with the lowest bidder. You eventually get what you pay for.
I would bet the stadium has some portion of concrete from the same JJ Mottes company in Stafford that caused the massive bad foundation problem. Rebar rusts because the concrete (which is naturally porous) has excessive water penetration coupled with access to oxygen. In normal spec. cement, it simply shouldn’t have rust leaching…which means there are micro-fissures and the cement is structurally compromised. I bet if they did core sampling they would find some interesting things.

Reaction Score
Since the thread has significantly deviated from a Hey - Rentschler Locker Rooms are being renovated discussion - it would probably help if people read/looked through the building assessments (they have pictures;)). You can also search for any references to rust, rusted, rebar, rusty rebar, concrete, etc... and what the "major deficiencies found” were:

Pratt & Whitney Stadium Comprehensive Building System Assessment - Volume 1

Pratt & Whitney Stadium Comprehensive Building System Assessment - Volume 2

Pratt & Whitney Stadium Comprehensive Building Assessment Executive Summary

Reaction Score
Since the thread has significantly deviated from a Hey - Rentschler Locker Rooms are being renovated discussion - it would probably help if people read/looked through the building assessments (they have pictures;)). You can also search for any references to rust, rusted, rebar, rusty rebar, concrete, etc... and what the "major deficiencies found” were:

I didn’t read through the whole thing, I mostly skimmed through the pictures. They look really bad.

Reaction Score
I see nowhere in the report that there was any structural integrity testing. Most of the report talks about visual inspection.

Reaction Score
Rentschler Field - The Great Albatross

A basic off campus stadium which helps the campus in no way whatsoever. And we need duplicate expenses, 2 sets of locker rooms. Let's just continue to do the opposite of what successful programs do.

Looking at the pictures in the links from post #17. Very depressing. It looks like an abandoned stadium which isn't surprising since it is useless 97% of the days of the year. It really is time to cut bait and write it off.

Reaction Score
Rentschler Field - The Great Albatross

A basic off campus stadium which helps the campus in no way whatsoever. And we need duplicate expenses, 2 sets of locker rooms. Let's just continue to do the opposite of what successful programs do.

Looking at the pictures in the links from post #17. Very depressing. It looks like an abandoned stadium which isn't surprising since it is useless 97% of the days of the year. It really is time to cut bait and write it off.
JFK Stadium opened in 1926 and closed in 1989. They even snuck Live Aid show in 1985 and let The Dead play there before it was condemned the next week - lol. We got plenty of time. Seriously I hope this project comes with a future expiration date in mind because there's just nothing walkable in that area. It's a limited use facility that doesn't appeal to students. Basketball is a different situation.

Reaction Score
JFK Stadium opened in 1926 and closed in 1989. They even snuck Live Aid show in 1985 and let The Dead play there before it was condemned the next week - lol. We got plenty of time. Seriously I hope this project comes with a future expiration date in mind because there's just nothing walkable in that area. It's a limited use facility that doesn't appeal to students. Basketball is a different situation.
What I marvel at is that Yale Bowl, arguably the most famous stadium in the world, cost without any large earth moving equipment at the time, $750,000 to build. Granted, in 1914 dollars, but still. To say it has stood the test of time, is a gross understatement.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Wow, that's problematic.

I only skimmed through the first one but it is amazing how many problems are normal maintenance items that have been ignored for years. All the things that show failed caulk, and not even recently failed but so old and dried that it's largely missing, that is some thing that should have been taken care of with normal maintenance. Instead, it's been ignored for decades and is being presented as a capital improvement. This is the CDRA's consistent practice. It is another example of why they shouldn't be allowed to manage anything, but especially anything UConn related.

The amazing thing is even skipping normal maintenance, they can't make a profit. It is stunning how inept that organization is.

Reaction Score
What I marvel at is that Yale Bowl, arguably the most famous stadium in the world, cost without any large earth moving equipment at the time, $750,000 to build. Granted, in 1914 dollars, but still. To say it has stood the test of time, is a gross understatement.
Have said this for years, saw the Giants play the Cowboys on the field behind the bench as there was no wheel chair seating. The experience for my wheel chair bound friend was simply wonderful. Not the best view but Golden Richards and others reached over the ropes to shake his hand as he had a Cowboy banner in his hands all game. I, a Giants fan did what I had to do.
Why do you need wi-fi to watch a football game inside a stadium?
To ask why is almost inviting why not? The young / new generation have been brought up on cell phones as a pacifier. Take away their internet and they are lost in space.
Another great Yale Bowl experience June 14th 1980 , The, Eagles, Heart, and The Little River Band. A concert classic in a stadium that held the sound well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom