Locked Threads | The Boneyard

Locked Threads

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
inbeforethelock3zd.jpg

Reaction Score
Yeah but touchy subjects can be both important and interesting. And they can also be relevant. Like the oft-locked subject of Muffet promising to not hire another man. That is interesting from a social science standpoint. It is important because it could impact the future of the game if others follow suit. It is relevant because Muffet could, again, be poking the open wound in the minds of some women refs who maybe view male coaches like Geno with animosity. This subject goes far beyond simple politics. It reminds me of the subject of race and college admissions on a certain forum dedicated to that topic. Generally, discussion of race is prohibited. However, they have allowed one thread to remain open for discussing the lawsuit against Harvard.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Touchy subjects that cause bad behavior.
I think it's once the touchy subjects actually generate the bad behavior that posts get deleted and threads shut down. Some MM threads have been locked, others not. Though in some respects I think it's all-things-Notre-Dame that is the overarching touchy subject, because discussion of Ogunbowale and Mabrey has probably caused more threads to be locked than MM! My guess is that talk about a heated rival leads to heated discussion in the days leading up to a massively big game.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Also remember that, while the Mods are lavishly compensated for their work here, sometimes even they get tired of having to monitor and edit all sorts of crap.
Right. Sometimes posters will complain that locked threads aren’t that bad but they don’t see how @Biff, @JS, and I have to constantly monitor the thread to weed out what are, essentially, hate filled rants. If people just stuck to discussing basketball, threads wouldn’t get locked but, no, they have to devolve into character assassination or attacks on visiting posters. Lately, any thread on ND has had posts deleted. It’s the way of a rivalry I guess.

Reaction Score
Yeah but touchy subjects can be both important and interesting. And they can also be relevant. Like the oft-locked subject of Muffet promising to not hire another man. That is interesting from a social science standpoint. It is important because it could impact the future of the game if others follow suit. It is relevant because Muffet could, again, be poking the open wound in the minds of some women refs who maybe view male coaches like Geno with animosity. This subject goes far beyond simple politics. It reminds me of the subject of race and college admissions on a certain forum dedicated to that topic. Generally, discussion of race is prohibited. However, they have allowed one thread to remain open for discussing the lawsuit against Harvard.

Geno has never had a male coach as a part of his staff.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Geno has never had a male coach as a part of his staff.

I knew that was true but I never gave it a thought until you posted it, and I saw it in print.
It is an oddity.
Pure speculation:
Maybe he feels an obligation to foster female coaches in a women's game?
Maybe he has a sense of loyalty to former players and helps them start coaching careers?
Maybe he just gets along with women better than men?
Does anyone know if he has spoken out on the subject?

Reaction Score
I knew that was true but I never gave it a thought until you posted it, and I saw it in print.
It is an oddity.
Pure speculation:
Maybe he feels an obligation to foster female coaches in a women's game?
Maybe he has a sense of loyalty to former players and helps them start coaching careers?
Maybe he just gets along with women better than men?
Does anyone know if he has spoken out on the subject?

Geno has said several times (at least) that people (ie coaches) should be able to hire whomever they wish. Regardless of their motives. Muffet has made the motive the prime factor: no men, ever. Geno hires all women, but doesn't make a big deal about it. Bully for him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom