Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world | The Boneyard

Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was buried in one of the long recruiting threads but figured it could use it's own thread.

The New Haven Register Blogs: UConn Men's Basketball Blog: Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world

And more coming tomorrow:

We'll have much more in Wednesday's Register, including Smith's views on why Ashton-Langford de-committed from UConn and went to Providence, and why Wilson picked St. John's. Smith coached both players at Brewster.

Also a bit more on Smith's relationship with Chillious, and Quinn's take on why Christian Vital elected to remain at UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
JERE QUINN, St. Thomas More head coach: "I think it's taken a hit. Unfortunately, the conference lacks the luster with a lot of these kids. They're in with the top players with every other major program. But the league doesn't bring a lot of national prominence. The rivalries are new; it's a new league trying to find itself. Connecticut is still going after the top-echelon kids in the U.S., and they've got some pretty good players, too." "It's very difficult for those guys to compete against the Big 10, the Big East, the ACC"

Reaction Score
Coach Quinn from St. Thomas More saying exactly what I, and many others on this board have been saying. The AAC is a huge problem with these top kids. It just is.

"I think it's taken a hit. Unfortunately, the conference lacks the luster with a lot of these kids. They're in with the top players with every other major program. But the league doesn't bring a lot of national prominence. The rivalries are new; it's a new league trying to find itself. Connecticut is still going after the top-echelon kids in the U.S., and they've got some pretty good players, too."

"It's very difficult for those guys to compete against the Big 10, the Big East, the ACC. If you ask the same question to the people at East Carolina or Tulane - nothing against them, but they're not going after the same kids UConn is going after."

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was buried in one of the long recruiting threads but figured it could use it's own thread.

The New Haven Register Blogs: UConn Men's Basketball Blog: Local prep coaches weigh in on UConn's status in recruiting world

We'll have much more in Wednesday's Register, including Smith's views on why Ashton-Langford de-committed from UConn and went to Providence, and why Wilson picked St. John's. Smith coached both players at Brewster.

Also a bit more on Smith's relationship with Chillious, and Quinn's take on why Christian Vital elected to remain at UConn.
This is very interesting

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

I'm sure the Yard will respond in a calm and reasoned manner to these takes.

Reaction Score
... Or
JASON SMITH, Brewster Academy head coach:

"It's still definitely one of the premier programs in the country. Coach Ollie is tremendous, and I think they made a fantastic hire. Coach (Raphael) Chillious is one of my closest friends in the business, one of the coaches I communicate with most frequently."

"I know they've had some hiccups the last month or two, but that's part of how recruiting goes in cycles."

"They're gonna be more than fine. Coach Chillious, Dwayne Killings are two of the most respected assistant coaches in the business. Coach Ollie's proven to be a championship-caliber coach himself. I think UConn is one of the premier programs in the country. Everything goes in cycles. You'll see them bounce back, have a great year, then continue to recruit great guys."

Reaction Score
Quinn's team had a sacred heart and a rider commit,that's it... not sure where he is getting his info on high major kids.

Reaction Score
When Cal was at Memphis, the conference situation was similar to what UConn is in now. Although we don't like him, Cal is the best recruiter of the modern era, and I know he was able to get one and done guys like D Rose and Dejuan Wagner. But was there a big difference between UConn's recruiting in the AAC and Memphis' in Conference USA besides the one and done guys? I don't remember, but were Memphis' role players back then better recruits than Vital, Vance, Diarra, Enoch etc (I know some of those guys transferred but that is a different issue)? I would like to see a comparison.

Reaction Score
When Cal was at Memphis, the conference situation was similar to what UConn is in now. Although we don't like him, Cal is the best recruiter of the modern era, and I know he was able to get one and done guys like D Rose and Dejuan Wagner. But was there a big difference between UConn's recruiting in the AAC and Memphis' in Conference USA besides the one and done guys? I don't remember, but were Memphis' role players back then better recruits than Vital, Vance, Diarra, Enoch etc (I know some of those guys transferred but that is a different issue)? I would like to see a comparison.
Cal may be the greatest recruiter ever when its all said and done. Average coach but he's a great recruiter and motivator. Whether we like Cal or not his players run thru walls for him

Reaction Score
So I guess Vital really was thinking about transferring.
Or it just crossed his mind but he never seriously considered it. We'll find out tmmrw i guess, not that I even want to know at this point

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Quinn's team had a sacred heart and a rider commit,that's it... not sure where he is getting his info on high major kids.
Because he is a coach who knows other coaches and is in the know - just because he didn't have high echelon recruits this year doesn't mean he is not qualified to speak on the subject.
I think his comments were right on target as far as the conference is concerned. He respects the program and KO.

Reaction Score

Just took a quick look on 247. From 2003-2008, their typical class was one high level 5* a year and a few (2-3) high 4 stars (rankings in the 35-70 range). So yes it was definitely much better, but not like what he has going on at KY.

But Memphis was also dominating the conference (and getting 1 seeds) not finishing 6th.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So I guess Vital really was thinking about transferring.

Maybe, but as much as I think Quinn is a forthright guy, what we are going to see is his take - an opinion and maybe not known facts - we need to be careful on that

Reaction Score
Coach Smith perfectly described why everyone who freaks out on this board need to relax and take a step back.

Smith might be a little bias since Chill is one of his closet friends in the business. The results in the first three paragraphs tell the current state.

Reaction Score
I may be misremembering but hasn't Quinn always had a bit of a weird relationship with UConn? Not that surprised by his comments.

Reaction Score
If we all needed a bed time story, then this article served its purpose. Doesn't seem like we are dealing with reality here though. There is too much confusion and sour news in the program at this time for us to say Chillious is the saviour. We all want what's best for the program, we all want to see the pipeline working again. Young recruits, blessed with talent and eagerness to succeed. Perhaps we have it and wait we must, just haven't seen it yet.

Reaction Score
What did he say that gives you confidence?

Come on. His nice words are worth a whole lot.

That KO, the staff, and UConn are still highly respected. If someone only read this board they'd think the exact opposite

And what does that count for?

He has zero incentive to say anything bad about the head coach of the leading program in the area. Second, even if we assume they are true (they probably are), they count for absolutely nothing.

His top player (MAL) just left us for Providence. And his other top player chose to play for Chris Mullen and St. John's over us.

Neither of which he may have had any influence over at all for all we know. Which is exactly the point. They are nice words, but don't count for a thing until he starts reliably sending his top kids to play for us. Which again he may or may not control.

Reaction Score
I don't know why so many people denied it, when there was plenty of smoke.
Because it made no sense for him. Did he think about it after seeing almost his whole class leave? Sure. Did he ever SERIOUSLY consider it? Doubt it

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom