Lobo Retrospective | The Boneyard

Lobo Retrospective

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I have this set this video to start with Lobo scoring off of a slick no look assist by a current coach. :) You can restart the video from the beginning if you wish to watch the video in its entirety. UCONN's current post players can learn a great deal about playing the post and all of Lobo's slick offensive moves around the hoop. She was really good!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Lobo gets the short shrift went the UCONN greats are mentioned. Her name should be mentioned in the same breath as Maya, "D", and Stewie.
Actually no she should not (IMHO). She was (and is) a tremendous ambassador for UCONN, but as far as team accolades (winning NC's) and individual (NPOY, AA, etc.) she does not stack up to the other UCONN greats. She was at UCONN from 1991 thru 1995. She was a 2x AA her jr and sr years, obviously won everything as a senior (NPOY, NC, etc.) but a 2xAA and 1 time NC does not put her at the same level as Dee, Stewie, or Maya.

She is basically at about the same level as Tina Charles, and a few others who were great, but not quite at the level of the Holy Trinity of Dee, Maya and Stewie. Even Sveta was a 3xAA (altho not a NPOY). Bird actually is a step above Lobo with her college accolades - NPOY 2002, 3x Leiberman award winner, 2x NC winner - all that in spite of only playing 8 games her freshman year...

Reaction Score
Actually no she should not (IMHO). She was (and is) a tremendous ambassador for UCONN, but as far as team accolades (winning NC's) and individual (NPOY, AA, etc.) she does not stack up to the other UCONN greats. She was at UCONN from 1991 thru 1995. She was a 2x AA her jr and sr years, obviously won everything as a senior (NPOY, NC, etc.) but a 2xAA and 1 time NC does not put her at the same level as Dee, Stewie, or Maya.

She is basically at about the same level as Tina Charles, and a few others who were great, but not quite at the level of the Holy Trinity of Dee, Maya and Stewie. Even Sveta was a 3xAA (altho not a NPOY). Bird actually is a step above Lobo with her college accolades - NPOY 2002, 3x Leiberman award winner, 2x NC winner - all that in spite of only playing 8 games her freshman year...
That’s like saying Rip, Donyell, Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon weren’t on the same level as Bazz, Kemba, Rudy, or Ray. I don’t no how you can make that call????

Reaction Score

+100. Lobo is probably the greatest all time ambassador for UConn with regards to women's basketball in the history of the game.

People can also argue, rightfully so, that her choosing UConn also helped launch the fledgling WCBB program to national attention.

But for just her college career, while great, does not equal the big 3...

Reaction Score
Interesting argument, regardless Rebecca was a great player for UConn and outstanding ambassador for not just the university, but for college basketball in general. Given that, watching ESPN's 30 for 30 on the 1996 WBB Olympic team, I never realized that she was not initially welcome on that team, by both the players and Tara V. Also, I never realized Tara was such a ________ (your choice)! Watching the video of those Olympic tryouts and practices, it was very clear, Rebecca was not at the level of the other players though she worked hard to prove them wrong.

Reaction Score

Actually no. Dee, Stewie, Maya all earned their awards standing upon the UConn foundation. Rebecca built the foundation. She elevated the visibility of every UConn great that followed her. Without Rebecca, Dee would have stayed in SoCal, and Maya would have played for Pat Summitt.

People often talk of the Mount Rushmore of UConn greats. But there are only 3 heads on my personal Mt. Rushmore. Geno, CD, and Rebecca. All others are indebted to the architects of greatness.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Actually no. Dee, Stewie, Maya all earned their awards standing upon the UConn foundation. Rebecca built the foundation. She elevated the visibility of every UConn great that followed her. Without Rebecca, Dee would have stayed in SoCal, and Maya would have played for Pat Summitt.

People often talk of the Mount Rushmore of UConn greats. But there are only 3 heads on my personal Mt. Rushmore. Geno, CD, and Rebecca. All others are indebted to the architects of greatness.
STANDING OVATION!!!!

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Interesting argument, regardless Rebecca was a great player for UConn and outstanding ambassador for not just the university, but for college basketball in general. Given that, watching ESPN's 30 for 30 on the 1996 WBB Olympic team, I never realized that she was not initially welcome on that team, by both the players and Tara V. Also, I never realized Tara was such a ________ (your choice)! Watching the video of those Olympic tryouts and practices, it was very clear, Rebecca was not at the level of the other players though she worked hard to prove them wrong.
Rebecca had a great deal to do with the popularity of Women's Basketball -

• as the star on the undefeated UConn team that really came along at the "right" time
  • as a marquee piece of the initiating of the "W"
  • through her work over the years on the broadcast side.

She is fully deserving of her place in the Hall of Fame.

I actually always felt sorry for her - as a player, at least after college - she was good, but not great. She took an awful lot of heat from Liberty fans in the day for not having better stats - when, in fact, she was a key cog of the Liberty team. We saw her late mother many times at the Liberty games in the day.

As to Tara, well, she is very driven. She is reportedly a very nice person when she is not competing. I would argue that Geno and many other coaches might, in fact, have multiple facets depending on what they are doing.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with anything posted here, but let's not trash Rebecca. Say what you want about what she earned or didn't earn, I firmly believe without Rebecca and the 1995 NC the UConn WBB program would not be where it is today. Take it 1 step more, women's BB in general would not be where it is today. For that Rebecca gets my never-ending admiration.

Reaction Score
I can't argue with anything posted here, but let's not trash Rebecca. Say what you want about what she earned or didn't earn, I firmly believe without Rebecca and the 1995 NC the UConn WBB program would not be where it is today. Take it 1 step more, women's BB in general would not be where it is today. For that Rebecca gets my never-ending admiration.
Actually without that entire 1st team in 95, Geno, CD don't become legends. Sue, DT, Tina, Maya, and Stewie go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Actually without that entire 1st team in 95, Geno, CD don't become legends. Sue, DT, Tina, Maya, and Stewie go elsewhere.
How many teams featured 3 different NPOYs, consecutively? And would have been 4 if Sales had a full season.

Reaction Score
Tara V took the year off from coaching Stanford, and as I look at it, it is why she is only six or seven games ahead of Geno to the win column. She did not want to be the coach who followed up the Bronze medal in Spain with anything less than a Gold medal. She should not have been worried as she had Dawn Staley as her point guard, and Lobo in the center, as well as outstanding talent around them.

Not sure whether Tara V know the difference between a practice player and a "gamer" at that point....

Lobo was definitely a "gamer" in my book, just ask TN players from 1994-95 - two losses to the "upstart" Huskies...

Reaction Score

At this point, Stewie should be there as well, even though she only has two World Championships and two Olympic Gold medals to go with her 4 NC's, 4 Final Four MOPs, and 3 National Player's of the Year.....

After all, it is your 'handle': Going4Natty. With that in mind, how do you handle Morgan Tuck {if the red shirt year is counted, and I do personally} & MoJeff as they have FOUR Natties as well?!? :cool: ;) :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While we can debate whether Lobo was great or very good, for anyone who saw her play, she was clutch. Known for making big shots and big defensive plays in the toughest games. As a college player, some were as good but few, if any, have been better.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with all the praise and respect shown toward Rebecca.

As far as what was revealed during the ESPN 30 and 30 episode, the manner in which Rebecca was mistreated by Tara V was a total travesty.
I freely admit to being totally bias (and say what you will) but I can’t help but wonder whether it was due— at least in part— to Rebecca choosing UConn over Stanford. Losing star recruits hurts deeply — witness Maya and Tennessee’s years of resentment!

Reaction Score
I’m a huge fan of Rebecca so take what I say with a grain of salt. She was great, not because of stats, but because she willed that first championship for the team. She was consistently that sort of player at every level — the rock on which a team could rely.

Timing was key. She burst on the scene at just the right moment, and TV loved her. When she went into the WNBA, she gave the league credibility it really needed. Injuries shortened her career. And without her it might not have succeeded.

Her immense significance has always been more than any particular achievement.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom