LJ Peak top 5... | The Boneyard

LJ Peak top 5...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
LJ Peak or Kelly Oubre. That's the question.

Reaction Score
Peak would be an awesome add. Play first two years as a backup who gets good minutes then a starter for year three and four.

I saw Peak play a ton this year I do think Oubre is clearly the better prospect. But he has all the big boys after him and should be a five star when the new ratings come out. With Calhoun and Hamilton already on the wing it could be a tough sell for us. Peak is a lower rated guy who would be able to come in get minutes from day one but not demand a starting spot.

Peak left Whitney Young after the year to return to South Carolina an attend school there. I have gotten the impression that he is a top priority for South Carolina and I'm sure Frank Martin is all over him.

Reaction Score
Peak would be an awesome add. Play first two years as a backup who gets good minutes then a starter for year three and four.

I saw Peak play a ton this year I do think Oubre is clearly the better prospect. But he has all the big boys after him and should be a five star when the new ratings come out. With Calhoun and Hamilton already on the wing it could be a tough sell for us. Peak is a lower rated guy who would be able to come in get minutes from day one but not demand a starting spot.

Peak left Whitney Young after the year to return to South Carolina an attend school there. I have gotten the impression that he is a top priority for South Carolina and I'm sure Frank Martin is all over him.
I hear this all the time on the boneyard, "all the big boys are going after so and so, UConn will be a tough sell." "Will be hard to convince so and so that there will be playing time." We are one of the big boys, we have one of the best young coaches in the nation who kids would love to play for, we are opening up the best practice facility in the country in less than a year. I don't hear fans from all of the other big boy schools saying this kind of stuff. A five star recruit like Oubre is going to get a ton of playing time no matter what.

Reaction Score
Your right I should of said big boys with potentially more playing time. I just look at it as Hamilton and Calhoun are studs they are commanding 30mins a night. Hamiton will end up being top 10 in this class. Not to mention neither will be a senior. I know Kansas is all over Oubre and they might be selling him on coming in and replacing Wiggins.

If the question becomes do we wait on Oubre or take a commitment from Peak? I say no Peak is no slouch I would take him in a second and move on from Oubre.

Reaction Score
Your right I should of said big boys with potentially more playing time. I just look at it as Hamilton and Calhoun are studs they are commanding 30mins a night. Hamiton will end up being top 10 in this class. Not to mention neither will be a senior. I know Kansas is all over Oubre and they might be selling him on coming in and replacing Wiggins.

If the question becomes do we wait on Oubre or take a commitment from Peak? I say no Peak is no slouch and would take him in a second and move on from Oubre.
Wasn't going after your comments so much but I almost get the feeling some people on this board talk like we aren't a big boy and they would be shocked if we got a great recruiting class. I expect a great recruiting class, Ollie is that good and the practice facility is going to be a big sell. I like what I've seen from Oubre but we should by no means just focus on him. I would be fine with Peak, as stated in another thread I might want Devin Robinson more than any of them and it seems like we have been on him before the other "big boys." We are involved with a lot of top kids, I think we get a great class no matter what.

Reaction Score

If the question becomes do we wait on Oubre or take a commitment from Peak? I say no Peak is no slouch I would take him in a second and move on from Oubre.

Not a bad thought process but while I like Peak, there could be a few others who could keep UConn in the fold at that position.....in other words if I have a "chance" still at an Oubre and feel it's good enough to wait, I think KO and the staff should........game changer!!

Reaction Score
As I said many times I LOVE his game. It was a surprise to me. The staff is recruiting a lot of players hard. Going to try and get an interview with him tonight.

Reaction Score

Looks ultra athletic and pretty polished for a high school kid. I would love getting this kid.

Reaction Score

Looks ultra athletic and pretty polished for a high school kid. I would love getting this kid.

Saw that video yesterday. Was shocked that the first play was a missed alley oop. But then again he did smash his head on the backboard....

Reaction Score
I take it back I was thinking of another athlete KO and the staff are recruiting Burns23.......yeah if he's ready jump at him!!! Wow nice player for sure, a lot like RPurvis.......

They are recruiting some exciting players........nice job guys!! Nothing against JC as he's the man and he and the Huskies had their issues down the stretch for him, but this is a whole new set of standards that I like!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Peak isn't a backup plan recruit by any measure.

He's top 35 (ESPN).

Which is similar to Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, AJ Price and a few other Uconn greats.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Are we calling AJ Price a UConn great these days?

He meets the Uconn great barrier.

From his Wiki profile-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Price

He returned to the court for the 2006–07 season as a sophomore. He appeared in all 31 games, starting at point guard in 23 contests. For the season he averaged 9.4 points per game with 113 assists and 37 steals to his credit in 23.9 minutes per game. In the 2007-08 season, Price started all 33 games at point guard and was UConn's second leading scorer. He won many awards and was named to the U.S. Basketball Writers Association's All-America Team. He was also a unanimous selection to the First Team All-BIG EAST squad and selected as USBWA District Player of the Year and member of All-District First Team, named a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award, and was chosen as one of ten finalists for the USBWA Player of the Year Award, the Oscar Robertson Trophy and named to the NABC All-District 1 First Team. In the first round of the 2008 NCAA Tournament against San Diego Price played nine minutes before tearing his left anterior cruciate ligament. The team would go on to lose the game by one point in overtime.
The next season 2008–09 was the best season for Price. Coming off the ACL injury he was the Huskies' leading scorer with 14.7 points a game and was critical in their run to the final four. In a game versus Gonzaga he hit a falling down three-pointer to force the game into overtime.[10] In the 2009 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament he was named the most outstanding player in the West Region, but the Huskies fell in the semi-finals to the Michigan State Spartans.[11] He was a liberal arts major at Connecticut.

Reaction Score
AJ Price was one of the best floor generals we've ever had.

Agreed. A very underrated player at UConn. He played with a ton of talent around him but at times the offense was horrible, and Price would bail us out time after time as the shot clock winded down.

Anyway, Peak is a stud. UConn is the most accomplished men's bball school on his list. Let's get him.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Agreed. A very underrated player at UConn. He played with a ton of talent around him but at times the offense was horrible, and Price would bail us out time after time as the shot clock winded down.

Anyway, Peak is a stud. UConn is the most accomplished men's bball school on his list. Let's get him.

I can agree with everything you said and don't want to hi-jack the Peak thread any further.

Reaction Score
Are we calling AJ Price a UConn great these days?

He's not in the same class as guys like Gordon and Allen, but he was the third best player on a final four team - that's nothing to sneeze at.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with losing out on Oubre. I would like to have Hill, but we've been blessed with Hamilton so far. That was such an important grab.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
He's not in the same class as guys like Gordon and Allen, but he was the third best player on a final four team - that's nothing to sneeze at.

I agree. But so was AO and I don't think anyone here had him as an all-time great Husky even before the transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom