Liv Griff and Anna message received | The Boneyard

Liv Griff and Anna message received

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Last nite they grew up. UConn couldnt get a shot to drop. Wide open shots missed and somebody had to step up. They did. Let me start with Liv first. Listening to Lobo she mentioned how UConn worked with Liv to shoot 15 footers and take the ball to the hoop. She didnt got two fouls and Geno yanked her. Griff comes in brings energy an excitement and turns the game around. Liv comes back in in the second half and she got the message. She hit 15 footers, she drove to the rim and challanged Tenn and she made some foul shots. Her confidence and belief is there now.

Anna showed signs of what she did in the last game. She shot the damm ball and penetrated. She was heads up and got to the ball. Her defense was terrific. Shes blossming into a star.

Griff what can we say. Luv this girl. Always smiling, doesnt seem to worry about anything execept getting the ball whether its a steal a rebound or a loose ball. She plays Hard nosed, and full of energy. Hey she made an outside shot. Her shot will continue to get better and shes not afraid to take it.

Geno sent a message to Liv by sitting her and she got it. She showed us in the second half last nite that she can play with big tall players. She didnt show fear and I hope shes overcome that. Anna has blossemed. She will get better. She's one heck of a player with poise and hustle. Griff has the ability to be a big time star. Shes got it all and I luv that smile.

It was frustrating game because Tenn was giving us the game with all their turnovers (20+) and mistakes and we couldnt make a shot. Shot after shot was in and out. At one point we had 3 shots at the basket and nothing. Im thinking we should be up 30. But we persevered and never gave up.

In the first half UConn played tentative almost afraid to shoot. Alot of standing around and alot of one on one and CD was in the position of having to create a shot because no body else was. Geno sat Liv and Griff came in. A game changer. Over the past few games UConn has not looked great but they are improving . It all started in the 4th qtr of the Baylor game when we looked like we froze. Last nites first half resembled that again. That may have to do with both teams have alot of height. I think last nite we learned to overcome that fear. The fear of having our shot blocked the fear of a tall team. We are stumbling forward as we improve and grow as a team. Hey we have one loss and thats a game we couldve won however we are learning from it.

We have a game this weekend which will be a tuneup for Team USA. That exhibition game we will face another very tall team. Another team that is athletic and very good. It will be interesting to see how we react. Im looking for more from Liv Griff and Anna. Im also looking for all 3 to take more outside shots.

How many fans thought that at this point in the season we would have only 1 loss? SC and Oregon are gonna be really tuff games. We are slowly improving and I would expect to see alot more from our underclassman in the weeks to come. For those concerned about CW... be patient her shot will start falling again. If nothing more then the law of averages are on her side. Its beginning to look like its all coming together and when it all comes together this is gonna be a very tuff team to beat.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Great observations Tonyc...agree with you...great to see our kids growing up right in front of us...and help is on the way...I'm telling you this time next year we will be thinking just how unfair it is that all that talent is under one roof. Go Huskies!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last nite they grew up. UConn couldnt get a shot to drop. Wide open shots missed and somebody had to step up. They did. Let me start with Liv first. Listening to Lobo she mentioned how UConn worked with Liv to shoot 15 footers and take the ball to the hoop. She didnt got two fouls and Geno yanked her. Griff comes in brings energy an excitement and turns the game around. Liv comes back in in the second half and she got the message. She hit 15 footers, she drove to the rim and challanged Tenn and she made some foul shots. Her confidence and belief is there now.

Anna showed signs of what she did in the last game. She shot the damm ball and penetrated. She was heads up and got to the ball. Her defense was terrific. Shes blossming into a star.

Griff what can we say. Luv this girl. Always smiling, doesnt seem to worry about anything execept getting the ball whether its a steal a rebound or a loose ball. She plays Hard nosed, and full of energy. Hey she made an outside shot. Her shot will continue to get better and shes not afraid to take it.

Geno sent a message to Liv by sitting her and she got it. She showed us in the second half last nite that she can play with big tall players. She didnt show fear and I hope shes overcome that. Anna has blossemed. She will get better. She's one heck of a player with poise and hustle. Griff has the ability to be a big time star. Shes got it all and I luv that smile.

It was frustrating game because Tenn was giving us the game with all their turnovers (20+) and mistakes and we couldnt make a shot. Shot after shot was in and out. At one point we had 3 shots at the basket and nothing. Im thinking we should be up 30. But we persevered and never gave up.

In the first half UConn played tentative almost afraid to shoot. Alot of standing around and alot of one on one and CD was in the position of having to create a shot because no body else was. Geno sat Liv and Griff came in. A game changer. Over the past few games UConn has not looked great but they are improving . It all started in the 4th qtr of the Baylor game when we looked like we froze. Last nites first half resembled that again. That may have to do with both teams have alot of height. I think last nite we learned to overcome that fear. The fear of having our shot blocked the fear of a tall team. We are stumbling forward as we improve and grow as a team. Hey we have one loss and thats a game we couldve won however we are learning from it.

We have a game this weekend which will be a tuneup for Team USA. That exhibition game we will face another very tall team. Another team that is athletic and very good. It will be interesting to see how we react. Im looking for more from Liv Griff and Anna. Im also looking for all 3 to take more outside shots.

How many fans thought that at this point in the season we would have only 1 loss? SC and Oregon are gonna be really tuff games. We are slowly improving and I would expect to see alot more from our underclassman in the weeks to come. For those concerned about CW... be patient her shot will start falling again. If nothing more then the law of averages are on her side. Its beginning to look like its all coming together and when it all comes together this is gonna be a very tuff team to beat.

Agree with all of your points. We all know you can learn many things from a loss. This game is a reminder that you can also learn some things from a win. Case in point: The team did improve with this game. No only in technique, but confidence (ONO, Makurat & Griffin). I think Geno will not hesitate to put Aubrey in at anytime during a game going forward. During his postgame presser, he said that he told Chris Daley
around halftime "We’ve got to really get her ready for the NCAA Tournament because we’re going to need her. She’s got a lot to offer.”

1579891753318.png

I think Aubrey’s play last night was more impressive than her 25/12 game against Seton Hall earlier this season, because the stage was much bigger (13,659 fans in attendance), the hype surrounding this game was off the charts, it was against a ranked opponent and it was on national TV.

Aubrey has moved into a different place now. She’s still got a long way to go, but now she knows she can play at this level, she’s an important part of the team, and will continue to be one of the first two reserves off the bench the rest of the season. The team did a 180 degree turn (and momentum shifted over to UConn) last night when Geno inserted Aubrey and Anna. The game was fun to watch after that. I’m definitely going to watch this game several more times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
clearly a good UConn win against a talented but flawed team.............their shots weren't falling but they made up for it with solid defense and hustle...................that said, shoot that way against Oregon and they lose by 15...............

Reaction Score
Great job of analysis Tony. Geno also mentioned in the post game interview with respect to Griff that she is young so they gave her something she could handle and succeed with. Knowing Tennessee did not know her, they would not pay attention so asked her to defend, rebound and keep moving. This put her in position to score. I like that. That was pretty damm smart. We use to do this in the Marine Corps with the young ones.

Reaction Score
Great job of analysis Tony. Geno also mentioned in the post game interview with respect to Griff that she is young so they gave her something she could handle and succeed with. Knowing Tennessee did not know her, they would not pay attention so asked her to defend, rebound and keep moving. This put her in position to score. I like that. That was pretty damm smart. We use to do this in the Marine Corps with the young ones.

no way to defend against a hyper athletic freshman on the fast break other then fouling her.............if she perfects her outside shooting she will give her defenders nightmares............

Reaction Score

I am going to re-watch the game, because I do not recall Aubrey hitting an outside shot. I focus on this because we need ( for her ) the progression from ; " I'm afraid to take a shot" ; to, " I'm not confident "; to "what if I miss?"; to " I nailed it " ; to, " gimme the ball! "

No doubt about it, though, Aubrey's energy and the turnovers and possessions she created ( not to mention the lay-ups) rattled Tennessee, and energized our team. From the moment she began stealing the ball, the entire team started hustling more. Suddenly, UCONN players were all over the court...often on the floor...diving for loose balls. When she does become confident with her outside shot, she is sure to be reliable as well. And we had no one yesterday, who could be depended upon to make an outside shot. I hope the coaches agree that she has earned a lot more playing time.

Certainly, Megan and Crystal are excellent shooters, but not yesterday. I thought, perhaps, Williams had found her shooting eye in the previous game, but that was clearly not the case. Nevertheless, she is a force on defense, and in driving the lane. She is tough, strong and determined. It shows in her rebounding.

It was critical for Olivia to begin hitting an outside shot. The entire universe changes for UCONN if she can do that consistently. She did hit outside shots yesterday ( twice, by my count ) and, I think , was 3-4 at the free throw line. Her outside shots, however, were not " all net," and that is what she really needs to do ( i.e. become more confident and polished as a shooter ). But I am complaining about the steak. Sorry.

Let me add a word about Crystal. I think she needs to be given some rest. If we can't use Molly, use another line-up combination. But 40 minutes in a tough game, over a short-time period ( between games ) seem to be taking a toll. Perhaps her shooting fell off yesterday ( remember; she was our only scorer early, but she didn't make a shot in the second half ) because she was out of energy. She does so much and gets beaten up every game. Sometimes it appears as though it is a struggle for her to get back up on her feet, after getting slammed to the floor. The coaches have to see this as well. She has to be 100% at tournament time, and ready to go a full 40 once UCONN hits the sweet sixteen round. Burning her out now makes no sense to me.

Ania shows great hustle and stamina. Her shooting can be devastating to our opponents ( I think they don't expect it ). Her accuracy isn't yet up to the level she can reach. But she is running, cutting, passing and rebounding very well. Clearly, she will now replace Kyla earlier, and for longer.

We all love Kyla. But it was clear, yesterday, that she was not on her best game. Perhaps it was the level of competition. Who knows? We had a lot of players, yesterday, who were not at their best. I think Geno will continue to start her, but she has to "up" her game. And she can.

The really good news is that we won against a good team, after being down at the half. We persevered in a contest where our big contributors couldn't make their shots. And the team learned the benefit of " going all out." And they learned it because Aubrey led the way. Olivia got tougher, too. And took a big step forward.

This was a nice win. And important lessons were learned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom