Liv, CW and Mom declare for WNBA draft... | The Boneyard

Liv, CW and Mom declare for WNBA draft...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score

Daniel Connolly
@DanielVConnolly
"UConn’s three seniors — Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Evina Westbrook and Christyn Williams — have officially entered their names in the WNBA Draft, forgoing their final year of eligibility. No surprise, but it’s official now."

My thoughts - All three have earned my respect and wishes for great success..!!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Sigh. I selfishly wanted to see another season of Evina, only because we only got two with her on the court. And before anyone even thinks of asking why I'm not also saying the same thing about Olivia & Christyn, I wouldn't mind them back either, however I've enjoyed watching them play and grow over the last four years.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sigh. I selfishly wanted to see another season of Evina, only because we only got two with her on the court. And before anyone even thinks of asking why I'm not also saying the same thing about Olivia & Christyn, I wouldn't mind them back either, however I've enjoyed watching them play and grow over the last four years.
Having Westbrook as that extra guard we need for depth next year would have been perfect. But I'd probably be tired of school at this point too. Ready to get on with life.

Reaction Score
No, it's time for all three to move on to the next stage in their lives--this is good for them, and it's good for UConn. In order to grow new crops, you have to till the soil and make room... Their time has come and past, All were integral components on a very successful team, and they will be missed, but not mourned,,,,

Reaction Score
Break Up Crying GIF

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As Geno always says, success in the W depends on the fit and the situation. All 3 have something to offer. Liv has unusual length. Can she get stronger? Christyn could be a surprise along the lines of Tiff Hayes.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Good people.
Loved watching them and appreciate all they did for the program and to entertain us over the past 2-4 years.
Sending them off with love and wishes for nothing but success in everything they do.
They are three kids it's been easy to root for.
Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Not surprised and wishing all of them the best of luck moving forward with their lives, whatever that may entail.

Reaction Score
I am less optimistic. It would be surprising, in my view, if all three made a roster. I of course hope I am wrong.
I see where some posters think Liv is the least likely to make a roster. I think she is most likely because her passing and shot blocking skills are more rare for a post player than the shooting skills the guards bring to their position. They will all go in the top 20 though in my view.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Fierce Huskies. The best of luck at the next level. I hope all 3 get to realize their dreams.

"Various mock drafts have all three being selected within the first two rounds. ESPN’s Mechelle Voepel has Williams going to the Connecticut Sun with the 12th overall pick, Westbrook going to the Minnesota Lynx with the first pick of the second round, 13th overall, and Nelson-Ododa going to the Atlanta Dream at No. 15."

Reaction Score
… Could be based on accepted invites or a deadline for such notification that passed prior to UConn 3 seniors decisions?

Concur with Notreadyyet re: Liv’s W appeal. Likely all 3 will be supporting roster pieces. Liv’s combination of length, athleticism/mobility, passing, & defense/shot-blocking is the rarest of the 3 tool packages.

I do think Christyn will have a better pro career than college b/c her scoring/slashing game translates more effectively with more space to operate in W. Plus, she should not be in her head as much carrying the weight of UConn/#1 overall HS recruit expectations.

Evina’s toughness, versatility, & leadership is her ticket. Her experience coming off bench should also be attractive to W teams b/c shows adjustment & selflessness. Most of these draftees have never had to play a bench or supporting role to-date in their careers. This is a big adjustment mentally & E has already demonstrated that she can handle & flourish.

Finally, all 3 will benefit from their UConn experience, which consistently resonates with pro teams WRT work ethic, professionalism, perseverance, team work, sacrifice, acceptance of tough coaching, etc. Good on them & best of luck at the next level!

Reaction Score
Finally, all 3 will benefit from their UConn experience, which consistently resonates with pro teams WRT work ethic, professionalism, perseverance, team work, sacrifice, acceptance of tough coaching, etc. Good on them & best of luck at the next level!
What he or she said above.
Best wishes to the young women moving on and hoping they land with teams that are a good fit for their skills. I don't know of a team in the country that went through so much adversity this year. Yet the walking wounded made it to the final and gave it their all.
I've met each of them personally a couple years back and I thanked them for coming to UConn. I reiterate that here again and hope they are able to carry their husky spirit at the next level. That and look back on their time here as well spent.

Reaction Score
I see where some posters think Liv is the least likely to make a roster. I think she is most likely because her passing and shot blocking skills are more rare for a post player than the shooting skills the guards bring to their position. They will all go in the top 20 though in my view.
The issue is not whether they wii be drafted, but whether all three will make a roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom