Lipscomb and Belmont deserve to be in the field of 68. | The Boneyard

Lipscomb and Belmont deserve to be in the field of 68.

Reaction Score
(Possible) unpopular opinion: Lipscomb, Belmont, Utah State, Furman and the loser of Wofford/UNCG deserve to be in the field over teams like Oklahoma, Indiana, Florida, TCU, Texas and some of those Big east bubble teams. Even New Mexico State at 27-4 and beat WSU and played Kansas close, losing by 3, is kind of interesting, probably better than at least one of the BE bubble teams. I would trade the first 6 for the Power 5 + BE 6 mentioned.

I am assuming it is already a foregone conclusion that regardless of what occurs in the ACCT Cuse will get an 11 and a matchup vs. a 6 seed on the decline followed by the weakest 3 in the next round. Unless of course they win the ACCT (hah).

I am assuming Buffalo is in no matter what, a lock, but is likely going to be put in the 8/9 vs the overall 1 seed, if they advance as well as a 8 or 9 on the upswing. Kind of like how GW got a very tough 1 draw all those years ago when they went into the tourney undefeated).

Thrilled that Loyola chicago lost, as cool as the actual story was, the human interest angle was boring, glad we don't have to listen to THAT again, although I guess another human interest piece will be dug up.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I am also on board the Three Bid SoCon train!

Who gives a crap about seeing mediocre Alabama or Indiana or Florida. They've proven they're really good at losing to good teams or being a good matchup for Michigan State and almost literally nobody else.

Out, the lot of them. Helps the NIT a bit too.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
If the NET rankings have a bigger pull than the RPI they may have a chance

Reaction Score
No to Utah State. Better look for the AAC if the MWC only gets 1 bid.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was watching a recent Indiana game and they were like 15-13 and the commentators were calling them a bubble team. Penn state is like 14-17and going to the NIT probably.

Cuse will be a 10 and play an absolute scrub of a 7 then play a 2 seed who has never faced zone and go to their billionth sweet 16 where they will get shellacked by an actual team.

Always helps to be P5

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
(Possible) unpopular opinion: Lipscomb, Belmont, Utah State, Furman and the loser of Wofford/UNCG deserve to be in the field over teams like Oklahoma, Indiana, Florida, TCU, Texas and some of those Big east bubble teams. Even New Mexico State at 27-4 and beat WSU and played Kansas close, losing by 3, is kind of interesting, probably better than at least one of the BE bubble teams. I would trade the first 6 for the Power 5 + BE 6 mentioned.

I am assuming it is already a foregone conclusion that regardless of what occurs in the ACCT Cuse will get an 11 and a matchup vs. a 6 seed on the decline followed by the weakest 3 in the next round. Unless of course they win the ACCT (hah).

I am assuming Buffalo is in no matter what, a lock, but is likely going to be put in the 8/9 vs the overall 1 seed, if they advance as well as a 8 or 9 on the upswing. Kind of like how GW got a very tough 1 draw all those years ago when they went into the tourney undefeated).

Thrilled that Loyola chicago lost, as cool as the actual story was, the human interest angle was boring, glad we don't have to listen to THAT again, although I guess another human interest piece will be dug up.

cartels gotta cartel

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The metrics for Buffalo & Wofford should have both competing for the #5 seed line. Assuming they both win out which will not be easy.

Wofford #9 ranked offense per KP.

Yea. Let’s see the committee actually walk the walk here

Reaction Score
Courtesy of CougarRed on the CSNBBS Board...

Top 100 NET vs Top 100 RPI:

P5/Big East/AAC schools improving by more than 15 spots in the NET:

Northwestern
NC St
USC
UConn
Missouri
Nebraska
Rutgers
USF
Florida
Texas A&M
Miami
Indiana
Penn St
Oklahoma St
Arkansas
Texas
Butler
Ohio St
Oregon St
Ole Miss
Providence
South Carolina

P5/Big East/AAC schools worsening by more than 15 spots in the NET:

Arizona St
Kansas
Temple

Mid-Majors improving by more than 15 spots in the NET:

Grand Canyon
Lipscomb
Fresno St
Liberty
Furman

Mid-Majors worsening by more than 15 spots in the NET:

Charleston Southern
Harvard
Georgia St
Kent St
Bucknell
Marshall
Drake
Georgia Southern
Utah Valley
Colgate
Yale
Radford
Bowling Green
San Diego
UNC Greensboro
Montana
Davidson
Toledo
Western Ky
BYU
Hofstra
Northeastern
Vermont
Old Dominion

I wonder why the NET formula is still a mystery...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That foul call on Northeastern at the end of the game had to be one of the worst calls I have ever seen. No foul and NOT in the act of shooting. Criminal.

Reaction Score
I am also on board the Three Bid SoCon train!
Once upon a time the Missouri valley got 4 teams in (the same year the Acc got 4 in!) In fact, the conference posted a respectable 4-4 record with two sweet 16 teams (Bradley and our good new friend, Wichita State). (and to think, Creighton and Missouri State, who were ahead of Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa btw in the regular season standings, didn't even get in) . Bradley was the automatic qualifier, a 6th seed!

If I recall, Northern Iowa lost a heart breaker in round 1 to gtown, though an ugly game and Southern Illinois....ehh, lots not talk so much about that, but still, 4-4 is not bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder why the NET formula is still a mystery...

Yes it's almost like power conference teams that have more resources ARE actually better than smaller teams and a more accurate measurement of teams' respective abilities instead of just simple win loss records inflated by mid majors beating terrible conference mates shows it.

It may be boring, but it is the truth.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Indiana's won six games since New Year's.
Rutgers has won seven.
They’ll be in the NIT too. If they make it to MSG they’ll be able to brag about a couple hundred fans showing up.

Reaction Score
Yes it's almost like power conference teams that have more resources ARE actually better than smaller teams and a more accurate measurement of teams' respective abilities instead of just simple win loss records inflated by mid majors beating terrible conference mates shows it.

It may be boring, but it is the truth.
Yeah it really isn’t. SOS is a flawed metric that makes everybody better than they seem in “power conferences”. Since you get points for losing to good teams everybody ends up looking better than they actually are. So blah mediocre teams SEEM like they are good. If Texas actually gets a bid they should pull the FBI off the shoe scandal and put them on finding out who paid the committee.

Reaction Score
Yeah it really isn’t. SOS is a flawed metric that makes everybody better than they seem in “power conferences”. Since you get points for losing to good teams everybody ends up looking better than they actually are. So blah mediocre teams SEEM like they are good. If Texas actually gets a bid they should pull the FBI off the shoe scandal and put them on finding out who paid the committee.

Haha what?

We're talking about moving AWAY from a flawed SOS metric (the RPI) to a more accurate scoring margin based metric that relies less on SOS (NET or even better KenPom).

Reaction Score
I do think Belmont & Lipscomb should get a "play-in" game as of now. However if some of the power conf bubble teams like Oh St, Ind, Clemson makes runs in their conf tourneys Belmont/Lipscomb will probably fall off bubble.

Lipscomb had an 11-4 road record, non-conference they beat TCU, lost at L'Vill by only 4, beat SMU, UVM & 15-2 in their conf including 1-1 vs Liberty.

Belmont gets the edge over Lipscomb because they beat them twice in close games but I think Lipscomb should get the nod over TCU because they beat them if it comes down to the last spot.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Blame the Quad 1 and Quad 2 crap along with the NCAA tournament committee deciding NOT to consider league records this year - it was made to favor the P5 - guess where the member's schools are?

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I think Belmont should get in. I watched them play Murray State over the weekend and was entertained by the game. In terms of metrics, I think Belmont rates pretty decently, so that should help as well. Indiana and Texas belong nowhere near the tourney.

Reaction Score
I've watched Wofford more than Belmont, so I might be more critical of them, but I argue that Belmont is the better team.

On Wofford, I love Hoover, Jackson is a good interior force and Murphy is a solid PG but I wholeheartedly think McGee is overrated. I'm tired of him bricking awful turnaround threes and listening to the announcers say "well for him, that's still a good shot." It's NOT a good shot.

On Belmont, Windler is legit an excellent college basketball player, plus they have McClain and Murphy as good guards and Muszynski is a good interior player. Both teams profile the same: efficient O, not good D.

In a matchup, between those two teams, I'd bet on Belmont.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom