OT: - Link to World Track/Field Championship in Oregon....July 15-24 | The Boneyard

OT: Link to World Track/Field Championship in Oregon....July 15-24

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

This link takes you to the daily schedule and hopefully is a bit helpful as to the results as they occur.
NBC seems to be the collection of stations carrying the events. It is being held in Eugene Oregon so much of the coverage is in the evening...some afternoon coverage on the weekends. We have some serious track fans here and I hope they will be keeping us up-to-date on the goings-on. Obviously the biggest track event outside the Olympics. Some medal events soon...many later especially the last weekend with several heats during next week.

BTW: We think our area for hoops is pretty special and it is. Eugene can say the same thing about track and field. Lots of avid and knowledgeable fans...great atmosphere. I was lucky to attend the USA Olympic trials in 1980 in Eugene [the year President Carter said we could not go to the Olympics being held in Moscow due to their invasion of Afghanistan...so those trials were essentially 'our'
Olympics]. It was a great experience. The facility was wonderful then and even better now.

Go USA!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Saturday's coverage: Day 2 eastern time

2:00 CNBC
3:00 NBC
8:00 CNBC
9:00 NBC

Sunday's coverage Day 3 eastern time
9:00 AM CNBC
2:00 NBC
8:00 CNBC
10:00 NBC

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This surprised me alot

The competition started in 1983 and is known as the world's most prestigious track and field event. This is the first time the U.S. will host the outdoor championships.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

The link in the first post seems to have the daily schedule. The link in this post has continual
updates on the results....for the men and the women. Our men are off to a great start with a sweep of medals in the 100 meters....first time that has happened in a loooong time. The 4 by 100 meters relay is in a few days...and we have with some consistency botched that race with poor handoffs and other mess-ups. Jamaica no longer has Usain Bolt [ I think] so we should be the favorites.

As I understand it...no Russian athletes allowed...either as members of the Russian team or as individuals without a country.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

The link in the first post seems to have the daily schedule. The link in this post has continual
updates on the results....for the men and the women. Our men are off to a great start with a sweep of medals in the 100 meters....first time that has happened in a loooong time. The 4 by 100 meters relay is in a few days...and we have with some consistency botched that race with poor handoffs and other mess-ups. Jamaica no longer has Usain Bolt [ I think] so we should be the favorites.

As I understand it...no Russian athletes allowed...either as members of the Russian team or as individuals without a country.
Extended videoclip of the 100m US sweep

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Jamaican women sweep the 100 meters...as did the American men.
American men sweep the shot put.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great competition on in prime time. One thing that’s a bit odd. Immediately following the completion of an event final, some official person comes up to the medalists and hands them their medals as they are walking around celebrating their accomplishment. There is no medal awards ceremony. It’s kind of like leaving a restaurant and the waitress runs out with your keys which you left on the table…:rolleyes:

After watching this process play out several times, I decided I liked it. Wonder if we’ll see it in the Olympics: no podium, no anthem, no flags raised. :oops:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Jamaican women sweep the 100 meters...as did the American men.
American men sweep the shot put.
USA women go 1/2 in the Pole Vault also.
USA men go 1/2 in the 110 High Hurdles. (Devon Allen DQ'd on a "false start" - electronic false start) or a possible USA sweep there too.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Great competition on in prime time. One thing that’s a bit odd. Immediately following the completion of an event final, some official person comes up to the medalists and hands them their medals as they are walking around celebrating their accomplishment. There is no medal awards ceremony. It’s kind of like leaving a restaurant and the waitress runs out with your keys which you left on the table…:rolleyes:

After watching this process play out several times, I decided I liked it. Wonder if we’ll see it in the Olympics: no podium, no anthem, no flags raised. :oops:
Not sure if I like it or not. But it does make it easier for the athletes, they don't have to come back later for a medal ceremony. Don't interrupt competitions for ceremonies (or vice versa). Prevents any controversies/protests/playing the wrong anthem :rolleyes:/etc.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
USA women go 1/2 in the Pole Vault also.
USA men go 1/2 in the 110 High Hurdles. (Devon Allen DQ'd on a "false start" - electronic false start) or a possible USA sweep there too.
Brutal disqualification. I think the starters clock said something ridiculous like 0.0990 (disqualufied < 0.1) and then they shove that obnoxious card in front of the offender's face

Maybe a better solution would be to add the time below threshold to the final time?? instead of disqualification if there is no visible advantage?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Brutal disqualification. I think the starters clock said something ridiculous like 0.0990 (disqualufied < 0.1) and then they shove that obnoxious card in front of the offender's face

Maybe a better solution would be to add the time below threshold to the final time?? instead of disqualification if there is no visible advantage?
Agree that the DQ was brutal. The theory is that no human being can respond to a starter’s gun in less than 1 tenth of a second. So the starting blocks are electronically wired to time the push off of a runner’s foot after the gun sounds. The process is infinitely better than the old days when the officials would make such determinations based on observation alone and then they would go back and view video of the start to verify the false start. But the fact that the process is better is certainly no consolation to Allen.

Reaction Score

I agree it was a pretty extreme case. But still within the rules, and rules are literally what define a sport. I do think this particular rule could be tweaked to feel more fair, maybe reduce the pause duration from 0.1 second to 0.07 second -- that's the minimum possible reaction time shown by science thus far.

Also gutted for Devon Allen. He's had an amazing season and I've really enjoyed watching him race this year.

Reaction Score
Not sure if I like it or not. But it does make it easier for the athletes, they don't have to come back later for a medal ceremony. Don't interrupt competitions for ceremonies (or vice versa). Prevents any controversies/protests/playing the wrong anthem :rolleyes:/etc.
Actually they do have a ceremony. They showed the men's 100 meter medalists receiving their medals the day after the event. I assume they do that for all events. The gifting of the metals immediately following the race was kinda cool though.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

This link takes you to the daily schedule and hopefully is a bit helpful as to the results as they occur.
NBC seems to be the collection of stations carrying the events. It is being held in Eugene Oregon so much of the coverage is in the evening...some afternoon coverage on the weekends. We have some serious track fans here and I hope they will be keeping us up-to-date on the goings-on. Obviously the biggest track event outside the Olympics. Some medal events soon...many later especially the last weekend with several heats during next week.

BTW: We think our area for hoops is pretty special and it is. Eugene can say the same thing about track and field. Lots of avid and knowledgeable fans...great atmosphere. I was lucky to attend the USA Olympic trials in 1980 in Eugene [the year President Carter said we could not go to the Olympics being held in Moscow due to their invasion of Afghanistan...so those trials were essentially 'our'
Olympics]. It was a great experience. The facility was wonderful then and even better now.

Go USA!
Hey Blake,

Do you know if John Vitale ever made the Olympic team as a marathoner? He went to UConn with me, was a member of TKE fraternity. He was a top road runner in CT for many years. He is also Dick Vitale's younger brother. He might have been on the 1980 team, but I'm not really sure. If you have any information, I would appreciate it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree it was a pretty extreme case. But still within the rules, and rules are literally what define a sport. I do think this particular rule could be tweaked to feel more fair, maybe reduce the pause duration from 0.1 second to 0.07 second -- that's the minimum possible reaction time shown by science thus far.

Also gutted for Devon Allen. He's had an amazing season and I've really enjoyed watching him race this year.
I am all for rules and obviously have to lve with the current rules as written but what is the purpose of having the film observed by the judges for possible overturning??? To any human, there was no advantage.

Again, if you simply add the time below the threshold to the final time to penalize guessing (assuming above the 0.07 scientific limit) I do not see a downside to that But I am not a runner so ???

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

The average human reaction time is something like 160 milliseconds. World class sprinters are probably faster. There is a study of Finnish sprinters suggesting a super quick 80 millisecond reaction time.

Rather than tinkering with the reaction time, I wouldn’t mind seeing a return to the former process where the first false start was simply charged to the field. Any subsequent false start would then result in disqualification of the offending runner.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

Given medals on the spot, ceremony and awards later. They did show a couple brief shots of the awards presentations on the podium. I would love to have seen the awards given to our outstanding winners. Much rather watch that than an interview with Billy Joe Bob Useless. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Actually they do have a ceremony. They showed the men's 100 meter medalists receiving their medals the day after the event. I assume they do that for all events. The gifting of the metals immediately following the race was kinda cool though.
Hmmm, then that seems kind of silly to do both.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Aluminny: I do not believe that Vitale ever made the USA Olympic team at any distance.
Uhh...don't bet on that.

Are you sure he is Dick Vitale's younger brother? Never heard that factoid. Uhhh...is that bettable?

Another topic above: I do not agree with adding a few hundredths of a second to a finisher's time to account for a start
infraction. If we wish to make the reaction time allowed a little less with no penalty for all runners...great.
But whatever allowance you permit there will always be some dude unhappy he violates the NEW minimum.

e.g. going from 64 teams in the NCAA to 68 does in no way make those who don't get in happy about that rule change.
65-68 are fine with it. 69 and above just as mad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From the time US and most others are beginner track runners they are disqualified by any false start. The only reason why they aren't always in international events is political not sport related. It sometimes get put on the field the first time and then on the athlete. A false start used to be on purpose the first time to lock all the runners into the blocks for fear of a DQ. No reason to do that now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom