(Link) Bazz Napier in Boston Globe (50/50 on decision) | The Boneyard

(Link) Bazz Napier in Boston Globe (50/50 on decision)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He didn't give any hints which way he is leaning but I'm happy to hear he is smart enough to listen to Ollie and Calhoun in helping to make his decision.
I also like how important it is to him that he gets his degree. I actually feel a little better after reading his quotes in the article.

Reaction Score
You listen to that kid and think he could be our coach someday.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You listen to that kid and think he could be our coach someday.

The more I think about Napier, the more I think getting his degree is a really good idea. I am usually all for kids leaving as soon as possible because the window when a prospect is "hot" is usually pretty small. Napier will never have that window. Any NBA career Napier has will be because he outworks everyone else, and that career could be pretty short. He also won't get that huge upfront payday that a first round pick gets. A degree and preparing for a coaching career would be a very good idea for him.

Reaction Score
Hope he stays, this team is lost with out him, and 50 50 is an improvement then what i heard a few weeks back before he was injured

Reaction Score
Hope he stays, this team is lost with out him, and 50 50 is an improvement then what i heard a few weeks back before he was injured
Are you hearing anything in regards to Boatright/Daniels?

Reaction Score
Are you hearing anything in regards to Boatright/Daniels?

There are about 20+ players better and more advanced than those two right now. The same can not be said about Bazz.

Reaction Score

Do you know someone inside the athletic department, or do you follow the same people most of us do on twitter? It sounds like you have some sources, especially when it comes to recruiting

Reaction Score
He didn't give any hints which way he is leaning but I'm happy to hear he is smart enough to listen to Ollie and Calhoun in helping to make his decision.

Bingo. I would bet both Ollie and Calhoun tell him he's not ready, and can play his way into the first round next season with continued hard work.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The degree could very well be important to Shabazz as I recall he was on the athletic department honor role (with gifffey and leon).

Reaction Score
Prepared for him to leave, praying for him to comeback.

Is his age a factor at all? He'd be 23 by the time his career starts if he comes back. Some guys are in their 3rd or 4th year by then.

Reaction Score
He is in a weird spot - he is not like Okafor, Ray, Donyell, Rip, Rudy, Caron, Andre, Kemba, Ben, etc. where you knew they were first round guaranteed picks. If Bazz declares he will be crossing his fingers on draft day hoping he gets picked in the second round and praying he gets picked in the first. That doesnt seem like a great move to me.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I mean, none of us know what Shabazz is being told by Ollie or NBA people, also nobody knows his financial situation. Basically I look at it like this.

Positive: Earn a degree, enjoy 1 more year of college and have a final 4 quality team.

Negative: 1 less year of basketball earning power (be it Europe or nba) , chance of injury.

Napier as a nba prospect I think essentially is who he is. Probably a 2 nd round pick right now.

However, if he comes back, wins some awards, and UConn makes a deep run, I think he could create some buzz for himself and sneak into round 1 and earn a guaranteed contact.

I hope he comes back and to me it makes sense, but if he chooses otherwise then I trust his decision as I know he'll get great advice from ko and jc.

Reaction Score
why is him getting a degree linked to him coming back for a year ? He could very well declare and finish up creds in his spare time. The difference between the two drafts is what's making this decision difficult for him.

Reaction Score
why is him getting a degree linked to him coming back for a year ? He could very well declare and finish up creds in his spare time. The difference between the two drafts is what's making this decision difficult for him.

It hasn't worked out that way for all the other NBA guys. For good reason. Your advanced classes to finish your major aren't offered online. The NBA season is during the school year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The problem is the weakness of the 2013 draft. So even if he improved his stock he might not improve his draft position because of the competition. If they tell him he's a first round pick he's got an awfully difficult decision because passing up the guaranteed contract is a pretty big risk.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If they tell him he's a first round pick he's got an awfully difficult decision because passing up the guaranteed contract is a pretty big risk.

No he doesn't. If he were guaranteed a first round spot he would declare in a nanosecond

Reaction Score
No he doesn't. If he were guaranteed a first round spot he would declare in a nanosecond
Exactly. Guys he is not a first round pick. It is not happening. Even with a weak draft class. Most projections have him late 2nd round OR NOT DRAFTED AT ALL. I think there would be a higher chance of him not getting drafted all together. So either way, that leaves him with no guaranteed contract next year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't underestimate Boat. Bazz made some questionable decisions as a soph. It is part of the growth process. Agree 100%, though that we are much better team with Bazz.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate Boat. Bazz made some questionable decisions as a soph. It is part of the growth process. Agree 100%, though that we are much better team with Bazz.

I agree with you on Boat, but keep in mind Bazz played with a bad foot most of his Soph season (that required surgery). Hopefully he's better now because that is a very serious injury that i'm familiar with.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Sure. There is no such thing as a guarantee though.

Reaction Score
draft projections at this point, especially regarding the late first round, are pretty much inaccurate. If he gets his foot healthy and does well in workouts it's completely possible. can't just write it off because chad ford says so. He isn't a crystal ball.

Reaction Score
If Bazz comes back I really think we can make the final four. If not..well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom