Lineup changes going forward | The Boneyard

Lineup changes going forward

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
To start, that was one of the most nauseating games ever to watch. With that said, here is the lineup I would use.
Vital
Bouknight
Polley
Akok
Carlton

With the following in the rotation
Adams
Gilbert
Whaley
Gaffney

Bouknight is the most talented player on the team and should get the minutes that correspond with that. Vital is at PG and should be driving a lot more. Polley is the best shooter on the squad. Akok is an athletic freak and Carlton has no size rival on the team. Gaffney is nervous but he will get more confident.

Reaction Score
Gilbert or Gaffney have to start. They are our only point guards. Vital played a few mins at point against Indiana and it was a huge disaster.
For next game I would go:
Gilbert (one turnover and Gaffney at the scorer table)
Vital
Bouknight
Sid (don’t laugh)
Akok

it’s our most athletic lineup and maybe it will light a fire under Carlton and actually keep him out of foul trouble in the first half.

Polley is perfect for a shooter off the bench.

akok has to be a guy getting close to 35 mins per game. Bouk has to be around 30. Play the talent.

Reaction Score
Vital can't, no way, play PG. So if you want AG of the floor and Bouk on you have to take Polley as well and start Bouk and Gaffney.

Reaction Score
Gilbert or Gaffney have to start. They are our only point guards. Vital played a few mins at point against Indiana and it was a huge disaster.
For next game I would go:
Gilbert (one turnover and Gaffney at the scorer table)
Vital
Bouknight
Sid (don’t laugh)
Akok

it’s our most athletic lineup and maybe it will light a fire under Carlton and actually keep him out of foul trouble in the first half.

Polley is perfect for a shooter off the bench.

akok has to be a guy getting close to 35 mins per game. Bouk has to be around 30. Play the talent.
Shockingly, I actually don’t mind that lineup. Athletic as hell and will definitely shakes things up - for better or worse. Lol

Reaction Score
If there’s going to be a lineup change I would prefer to have Bouk start for Polley...

Gilbert
Vital
Bouk
Akok
Carlton

Bouk brings more facets of the game compared to Polley along with his ability slash and drive to the hoop and he can get to the line more often than Polley. It’s time to get him the minutes he needs.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As far as minutes go, Sid is clearly not responding to whatever Hurley is trying to do with him. For a kid who is used to being the best player on the court sometimes you need to coax their ego up. His confidence has to be dirt low right now which probably explains the poor effort. I’d run him for as much as we can vs USF and Tulane to see if we can get his mojo going. We could have used that jolt of energy we’ve seen him deliver last night.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I've watched every Cincy - UConn game since we entered the AAC. This one went the way most of them do. They are stronger and tougher on the block, and their guards are up in our shorts the entire game. The defensive pressure is not countered by offensive aggressiveness (guards driving to the basket) and we can't get any offense going because they also overplay the passing lanes. Last night was no different. Gilbert, Gaffney, and Bouknight had to be able to break their defenders down off the dribble, and/or with high ball screens, and then make a play (not sure any of them have enough talent right now to do this). Couldn't rely on our bigs to create offense one on one - they are definitely not capable of this. Line up changes are not going to make any notable difference - playing time is the issue and Hurley's talk about having a shorter leash makes sense. We need more talent and more intensity. NO excuse for ever being out-toughed.

Reaction Score
All of the players that we play played their usual minutes yet we are supposed to believe that it was lineup mismanagement that caused the problems. That’s like taking a losing poker hand and saying “if I only arranged it differently. We did not match up well no matter what, and it was not a good sign. What I learned was that we’ll probably usually be competitive but not against everyone, and our core of experienced players can’t always be counted on. They disappear far too often.

Reaction Score
I would rather see Polley come off the bench and have Bouknight at the 3 I think. I like Polley but our biggest problems come when the offense stagnates for several minutes at a time and as much as he’s a great shooter, he doesn’t create any offense for himself.

The toughest thing about managing the lineup, from my perspective, is that Hurley wants the young guys (Gaff, Bouknight, Adams, Akok) to build chemistry but we need Gilbert, Vital and Carlton to play significant minutes this season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Vital at PG? You really want to do that for more than a few minutes?

After the disaster he had running the point against IU, I never, ever want to see even a single minute of it. He's no better than a bad 4th option for us at the PG spot. Garry might be better.

I'd start:
Carlton
Akok
Bouknight
Vital
Gilbert

Gilbert brings up the ball, and then shifts to mostly off guard with Bouknight putting pressure on the defense, much the way Jalen Adams did.

Reaction Score
but we need Gilbert, Vital and Carlton to play significant minutes this season.

We need Gilbert and Carlton to play significantly better in the minutes they get this season. Vital brings defense, rebounds and a decent 3 ball. He cannot play the point or be asked to do too much at the end of a tight game. I believe the lineup change will be Bouk for Polley, while AG, CV, and JC get the short leash.

Reaction Score
Starters

Notes - AG and CV are insufficient at guard together. They dither around the perimeter, cant finish at the rim, and turn the ball over way, way too much. This highly limits both our organic and structured offense. It will not get measurably better, as they are who they are at this point in their development. My lineup changes would give some promising but untested players the ball. My goal is twofold - 1) get more dynamic and complete players on the ball and 2)get players with significant upside and who have already shown growth the opportunity to continue to do so. My changes COULD improve us this year, but definitely WILL improve us for the future.

G - Brendan Adams . He can handle the ball well enough, and gives us someone who can shoot it, drive it, and finish at the rim. I've also been impressed in short bursts how he has handled himself on the ball, his composure, and the force with which he plays. Also, he's a much bigger guy than AG, so he can match up better on defense, theoretically.

G - James Bouknight - He should be starting and playing 30 minutes. He's our best scorer, a sneaky good rebounder and passer. He has the biggest upside on our team on offense, and that's where we need the help, so . Lets get to the task of developing him at warp speed. He needs to be a starter and know that we want him to shoot it 15-17 times a night and lead our offense for the future.

F - Christian Vital - Forget his height. With JB and BA now starting and CVs rebounding he will be fine as a swing player. I'm now listing him as a forward because that is what his skill set says he is. A guy who can't really handle, is bad on the ball, but as a 3 & D guy is awesome. But no dribbling, no setting up the offense, no ball in his hands with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock. That realm belongs to bouknight now and he needs to know it. In this role, 3&D he can thrive for the rest of his career.

F - Akok - Obviously.

F - Porkchop - Ok, now hear me out. Carlton and Porkchop are going to split the bigs minutes. Carlton always starts slow, because he IS SLOW. When other teams have 100% energy he gets swarmed, turns the ball over, and gets beat on defense. Lets start the game with Porkchop in there to at least bring some energy and shot blocking into the mix to match the other teams energy. When the game wears down and settles in a bit, then we bring carlton in when he is rested, and he can make hay against backups or tired players. But Carlton as a starter is not working.

Bench - Gilbert as ballhandler off bench, Gaffney as utility guard, Carlton first big off bench, and Polley swaps with CV so we always have a great spot up shooter on the floor, matchup dependent. Polley off the bench will mean teams can't focus on him as much and should get him some open shots.

Reaction Score
I'm honestly sick enough of AG and CV which is odd because they're two of my favorites, but I can't watch AG piddle paddle around and drive in and get blocked every time, or watch CV turn it over anymore. Start Brendan, JB, Polley, Akok, Carlton and atleast let's have some fun. If we play a team that pressures full court then swap in AG for Brendan, but otherwise Brendan and JB can initiate the offense (pass it to Carlton 30ft from the basket and watch him travel) easy enough.

Reaction Score
I think i would at least attempt to bring Carlton off the bench and see if you can get more production out of him. Sometimes guys are better if they sit the first 6 or 8 minutes, and he just doesn't to me seem to get the flow of the game out of the start. Not saying it would change, but i'd be curious to see if it helps.

Reaction Score
BA, Vital, Bouk, Akok, Whaley.

So over Gilbert/Polley/Carlton. Vital on notice (ie Gaff on deck). Prepare for next season with our young guys. Jackson, Javonte Brown Ferguson, Cole, and the top recruit Hurley is targeting can't get here soon enough.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think Akok should get a lot more minutes at the 5.

He can rotate to the 4 too when Carlton and Whaley are getting some minutes but if Hurley is going to be pulling our 5 man out for screen actions 24 feet from the basket wouldnt it behoove him to have a guy who can shoot from that distance and is better with the basketball than Carlton or Whaley as far as making quicker ,better basketball instinctual decisions?

I see our 2-4 slots as "positionless" anyway. Bouk, Vital, Adams, Polley, are all capable (and funnily enough the biggest (tallest) out of those 4 is the most ineffective rebounder).

Akok is a better 5 man in this offense. And definitely defensively. He may get muscled but his athleticism and instinctive blocking skills make up for it.

It cant be worse than what weve seen, Thats for damn sure.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think Akok should get a lot more minutes at the 5.

He can rotate to the 4 too when Carlton and Whaley are getting some minutes but if Hurley is going to be pulling our 5 man out for screen actions 24 feet from the basket wouldnt it behoove him to have a guy who can shoot from that distance and is better with the basketball than Carlton or Whaley as far as making quicker ,better basketball instinctual decisions?

I see our 2-4 slots as "positionless" anyway. Bouk, Vital, Adams, Polley, are all capable (and funnily enough the biggest (tallest) out of those 4 is the most ineffective rebounder).

Akok is a better 5 man in this offense. And definitely defensively. He may get muscled but his athleticism and instinctive blocking skills make up for it.

It cant be worse than what weve seen, Thats for damn sure.

It's worth a shot, I think. Maybe not every game, but the games like Cincinnati where Josh and Pork Chop are ineffective then I would say why not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom