Lindy's Sports Annual WBB Top 25 | The Boneyard

Lindy's Sports Annual WBB Top 25

Reaction Score
I made another preseason basketball magazine purchase. This time, it was the 2018-2019 Lindy's Sports basketball preview. Some of the rankings shown below have been shared on this forum previously. However, I don't believe that this year's complete Top 25 from Lindy's Sports has been shared. Lindy's Sports had this paragraph to offer about UConn:

"The Huskies have been the preseason No. 1 team seemingly every year forever, but the loss of three Top-10 WNBA Draft picks makes it impossible to place them there again. They will still be darn good, with seniors Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson returning after leading the Huskies in scoring in each of the past two seasons. Crystal Dangerfield also returns, and a big jump from sophomore Megan Walker is expected. Two elite recruits - Christyn Wlliams and Olivia Nelson-Odoba - also arrive. A 12th consecutive Final Four might not come as easy as some in the past."

Katie Lou was named to Lindy's 2018-2019 preseason five-member First Team All-American Team. Napheesa appears on the Second Team.

1) Notre Dame
2) Oregon
3) UConn
4) Louisville
5) Baylor
6) Maryland
7) Stanford
8) Tennessee
9) Mississippi State
10) Oregon State
11) Texas
12) Missouri
13) DePaul
14) South Carolina
15) North Carolina State
16) Georgia
17) Iowa
18) South Florida
19) Marquette
20) Syracuse
21) Duke
22) UCLA
23) Arizona State
24) Texas A&M
25) Miami

Last edited:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well I guess the ones who picked. The SEC poll didn't see this ranking.

Reaction Score
It seems that UConn is ranked where it should be or maybe even it should be lower around 9 or 10. The team has potential but expectations should not be over extended. Under promise and over deliver.

Reaction Score
The paragraph write up on the Huskies seems fair. The list of the top 25 has some puzzlers in it to be sure.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
In the real world nothing is given, everything is earned.

Let's see what happens when the bullets start flying.

Reaction Score
I think the only for sure thing with these different pre-season rankings is Notre Dame being the consensus #1 team in the nation.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one "Usual Suspect" that is nowhere to be found in the top 25 is tOSU. After losing 6 players that accounted for 93% of their scoring last year, and replacing them with a bunch of 5th year transfers from mid-majors, the Buckeyes are in for a long, hard season.

Reaction Score
Ive read some foolish things on this board but saying UConn should be around 9 or 10 takes the cake. It was so outlandish I didn't even want to quote it and be linked with that comment. I personally think Oregon being ranked ahead of Uconn is a stretch. Baylor & Uconn has a case for #2.

1.ND
2. UConn
3. Baylor
4. Oregon
5. Louisville

Reaction Score
Ive read some foolish things on this board but saying UConn should be around 9 or 10 takes the cake. It was so outlandish I didn't even want to quote it and be linked with that comment. I personally think Oregon being ranked ahead of Uconn is a stretch. Baylor & Uconn has a case for #2.

1.ND
2. UConn
3. Baylor
4. Oregon
5. Louisville
Why do you think Baylor should be ranked ahead of UCONN? You do realize that Baylor has lost to PAC-12 schools a fair number of times in the NCAA Tournament? I happen to agree with you, but I would also put UCONN ahead of Baylor.

Reaction Score
Why do you think Baylor should be ranked ahead of UCONN? You do realize that Baylor has lost to PAC-12 schools a fair number of times in the NCAA Tournament? I happen to agree with you, but I would also put UCONN ahead of Baylor.
I put UConn ahead of Baylor in my rankings I'm just saying I think they have more of an argument at 2 than Oregon. I tend to agree with you. I think it goes ND & Uconn and then a drop before you talk about the #3 team.

Reaction Score
Man. I gotta get me a copy of this magazine! Do they still publish Street and Smith's College Basketball magazine? That use to be my favorite back in the day.

Reaction Score
Sometimes wins in the NCAA's are dependent on match ups. Last season Baylor caught a bad matchup that was able to negate their strength. If they meet a different team they probably would have advanced much farther. Timing and match ups are very important in basketball.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sometimes wins in the NCAA's are dependent on match ups. Last season Baylor caught a bad matchup that was able to negate their strength. If they meet a different team they probably would have advanced much farther. Timing and match ups are very important in basketball.

Baylor has been really unlucky getting bad match ups in the Tourney lately. :rolleyes: Haven't been to the Final 4 since '12, despite entering the Tourney as one of the top teams each season during that stretch. That darn team that wears orange and black keeps getting in the way.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Baylor has been really unlucky getting bad match ups in the Tourney lately. :rolleyes: Haven't been to the Final 4 since '12, despite entering the Tourney as one of the top teams each season during that stretch. That darn team that wears orange and black keeps getting in the way.
As you allude, Baylor has stumbled in the past several years despite having one of the deepest, most talented teams in WBB. I like Kim Mulkey, but I’m afraid that’s on her.

Reaction Score
As you allude, Baylor has stumbled in the past several years despite having one of the deepest, most talented teams in WBB. I like Kim Mulkey, but I’m afraid that’s on her.

Agreed , although i do believe if they had Kristy Wallace for last seasons tourney match up with Oregon State they would have won . Who knows , but KM needs to find some shooters . Thats been the achilles heel for this team come tourney time when teams begin to really sag off the guards and double/triple down on there 2 headed monsters Cox/Brown.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agreed , although i do believe if they had Kristy Wallace for last seasons tourney match up with Oregon State they would have won . Who knows , but KM needs to find some shooters . Thats been the achilles heel for this team come tourney time when teams begin to really sag off the guards and double/triple down on there 2 headed monsters Cox/Brown.
I agree on your comment about Wallace potentially making a difference this past year. My comment on Kim Mulkey had more to do with Baylor’s loss 2 years ago to MS St, when she looked like a deer in the headlights as Morgan William and her Bulldog teammates outplayed the Lady Bears down the stretch in the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
I agree on your comment about Wallace potentially making a difference this past year. My comment on Kim Mulkey had more to do with Baylor’s loss 2 years ago to MS St, when she looked like a deer in the headlights as Morgan William and her Bulldog teammates outplayed the Lady Bears down the stretch in the Elite 8.
Yes that one was very frustrating . Itty Bitty vs Alexis Jones turned out to be a horrible defensive effort. The smallest player in school history for MSU literally dominated Baylor for 45 minutes and Kim mulkey made NO adjustments smh .

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes that one was very frustrating . Itty Bitty vs Alexis Jones turned out to be a horrible defensive effort. The smallest player in school history for MSU literally dominated Baylor for 45 minutes and Kim mulkey made NO adjustments smh .

I remember a friend who watched that game remarking that Kim "looked so mesmerized by Itty Bitty because it reminded her (Mulkey) of when she was terrorizing opponents as an undersized point guard at Louisiana Tech.

Kim bringing aboard another of her every-so-often monster classes, but the key is getting the court in order, so to speak, and improving the outside shooting. Given that we're talking about a former point guard, you'd think a priority would be finding a strong. solid pg that would mirror her approach to the game. It's not as if there isn't talent in that neck of the woods.

Reaction Score
William had a monster tourney run. We didn't have the match up. Wallace fouled every time she got on the court and she was the best defender we had. If you go back and look Brown shut down McCowan and William could't miss a shot. Sometimes teams are just on and they light you up. What has hurt BU is not having an answer for that one player that steps up at tourney time. I think some of the BU players guards especially get complacent. Guard game is key this year. If only we had Morris that year or even now.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It seems that UConn is ranked where it should be or maybe even it should be lower around 9 or 10. The team has potential but expectations should not be over extended. Under promise and over deliver.
Are you on a mind altering substance? We have 2 AAs starting, a potential 3rd in Crystal Dangerfield, the last 2 high school players of the year and a supporting cast that is probably top 10 in its own right. We may not be #1 but the sky isn't falling and there aren't 8 or 9 better teams out there. Nothing is served by pretending to be underrated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom