Like an nba trade. Cost us some assets | The Boneyard

Like an nba trade. Cost us some assets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Would’ve you have traded
Floyd gaffney Wiggins and akok for Newton? The answer is yes. It’s the same cost in the nba. Premium pg most valuable asset. In our case we got a steal.
No. I expect Floyd by himself to be better than Newton in two years.

Reaction Score
The expectation at UConn is to win now, not 2 seasons from now. There’s no way we are improving our result significantly with the players who transferred. They weren’t good enough and didn’t have enough maturity or experience. The teams that go deep in March are often mature and leverage that maturity against young talent. With the portal, you can recruit maturity and proven productivity and blend talent with experience season after season…..and hopefully get on a roll of great seasons.

Reaction Score
Would’ve you have traded
Floyd gaffney Wiggins and akok for Newton? The answer is yes. It’s the same cost in the nba. Premium pg most valuable asset. In our case we got a steal.
Well throwing in Wiggins makes this a no brainer.

1649941084231.png

Reaction Score
I'm willing to give Hurley the benefit of the doubt right now but he needs to follow through and bring in another starting quality guard and at least one more depth piece. Floyd is likely the only one that we've lost that would be getting meaningful minutes next season, so I do think the concern has been overblown, but Hurley still needs to finish building the roster.

Reaction Score
The expectation at UConn is to win now, not 2 seasons from now. There’s no way we are improving our result significantly with the players who transferred. They weren’t good enough and didn’t have enough maturity or experience. The teams that go deep in March are often mature and leverage that maturity against young talent. With the portal, you can recruit maturity and proven productivity and blend talent with experience season after season…..and hopefully get on a roll of great seasons.
Exactly. We haven't won a single NCAA Tournament game since 2016. We can't keep kicking the can down the road.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Maybe getting far too close to no longer being a college sport. People who grow up with it might not notice a difference, but the idea of having identifiable players spend 4 years at a school developing into a cohesive unit is easier to root for in my book. Watching impatient guys who have one eye out the door as soon as they set foot in the room is not quite as interesting.

Reaction Score
Maybe getting far too close to no longer being a college sport. People who grow up with it might not notice a difference, but the idea of having identifiable players spend 4 years at a school developing into a cohesive unit is easier to root for in my book. Watching impatient guys who have one eye out the door as soon as they set foot in the room is not quite as interesting.
Circumstances put them in this place. Opportunity in their minds to leapfrog gradual development and the patience that goes with it.

Before the portal, it must have been gut wrenching to contemplate sitting out a year before being eligible to play.

The portal encourages instant gratification or the perception of instant gratification , sort of like being at an all you can eat buffet.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think that people would take that trade-off if we are consistently a top 15 team with tournament success in the big east and ncaa tournament. But otherwise, its not as fun and interesting.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think that people would take that trade-off if we are consistently a top 15 team with tournament success in the big east and ncaa tournament. But otherwise, its not as fun and interesting.
The world of ego gratification and people idolizing you from the time you made your first foul shot. It’s been there for decades, but the system now facilitates it.

Reaction Score
If we are real about the reason for the one year of idle time from transferring, couldn’t we see it more as a “non compete agreement”? That’s essentially what it is as it protects the initial recruiter/employer from many things such as intellectual property (training and practice) and trade secrets getting out and used against them. I’m for the one year. It’s for sports. The kids still go to a new school. So there isn’t any damage to the parties involved.

Reaction Score
If we are real about the reason for the one year of idle time from transferring, couldn’t we see it more as a “non compete agreement”? That’s essentially what it is as it protects the initial recruiter/employer from many things such as intellectual property (training and practice) and trade secrets getting out and used against them. I’m for the one year. It’s for sports. The kids still go to a new school. So there isn’t any damage to the parties involved.
If you were paying the kids, sure. Can't subject them to employee restrictions if you're not going to treat them like employees and pay them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Would’ve you have traded
We shall see in 365 days if it was the steal you feel - we all hope so
A few questions
How much did we know about Newton 10 days ago? What are his stats in the NCAA tournament games he has played? What is his assist vs TO ratio as a PG? He can score but can he be the QB this team needs?

Reaction Score
The world of ego gratification and people idolizing you from the time you made your first foul shot. It’s been there for decades, but the system now facilitates it.
Basketball is so popular that even kids who are borderline scholarship level players are treated like celebrities since children, at least in their town/city and social circles. It does create a false reality and isn't as severe for other sports (besides football). I know a few guys who were literally worshipped everywhere they went locally because of their basketball talent and never even ended up playing college ball. This is very uncommon with female players.

Reaction Score
Would’ve you have traded
In spite of Toppin's rise, Knicks probably would have done better with Haliburton.

Premium pg is at a premium.

Reaction Score
Would’ve you have traded
Every time and the “trade” is only going to get sweeter since we’re Also prob getting castle a year earlier and a second transfer immediately better than Floyd. Seems like the trade of the century to me.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Stability in the sport isn’t the worst thing. I see no problem with modifying the one free transfer rule to allow players to transfer without penalty if the head coach leaves voluntarily or otherwise. Also, true family circumstances causing the player to need to be relatively close to home, for example within 150
miles. Clearly the free transfer is not too great for the sport. If you can’t tell a college team without a score card, it’s no different from minor league baseball.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Because I think he's a more talented player. I certainly might be wrong.
I think it’s funny. How often have you seen either play? Heck, Jackson was supposed to be the second coming but he’s still an average shooting touch away to being anything close to what he does with the rest of his game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it’s funny. How often have you seen either play? Heck, Jackson was supposed to be the second coming but he’s still an average shooting touch away to being anything close to what he does with the rest of his game.
It's a fair take. Just clips of both. But....the whole premise of this thread is that Newton is so good that this is a "good trade". There's no evidence of that whatsoever. Can't possibly evaluate this until you see what Floyd and Diggins become and what Akok does when he gets a fair chance.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's a fair take. Just clips of both. But....the whole premise of this thread is that Newton is so good that this is a "good trade". There's no evidence of that whatsoever. Can't possibly evaluate this until you see what Floyd and Diggins become and what Akok does when he gets a fair chance.
Right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom