Lights!Camera!Sports! podcast Mike Gualtieri with ESPN's Jeff Goodman | The Boneyard

Lights!Camera!Sports! podcast Mike Gualtieri with ESPN's Jeff Goodman

Reaction Score
for those who don't really want to listen - pretty much 5 minutes of Goodman taking a crap on the program. Some of the stuff just false -- saying very little improvement seen in Facey.

Reaction Score
for those who don't really want to listen - pretty much 5 minutes of Goodman taking a crap on the program. Some of the stuff just false -- saying very little improvement seen in Facey.
Interviewer: "What's going on at UConn?"
Goodman: "Here's all you need to know - I haven't been to a UConn game this year. And that just shows they're irrelevant nationally."

Reaction Score

Not exactly taking crap. More being honest. The Huskies are 500. This program is too good for that.

pj

Reaction Score
No acknowledgement of the effects of recruiting sanctions such that severely impacted the quality of the upper classes. Only 3 junior/seniors, all limited as players.

Reaction Score
No acknowledgement of the effects of recruiting sanctions such that severely impacted the quality of the upper classes. Only 3 junior/seniors, all limited as players.
Yes but if you look at other schools they climbed back quicker. Don't think that's a huge factor

Reaction Score
I didn't listen, but there are a couple of injuries worth mentioning.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes but if you look at other schools they climbed back quicker. Don't think that's a huge factor

On top of having only 3 seniors and 0 juniors, there are only 2 sophomores. "The best thing about freshmen is they became sophomores." Lack of experience is most definitely a huge factor. So is lack of depth. So is lack of talent (because 2 of the 4 most talented players are out injured, another is making his way back gingerly from 2 ACLs).

Reaction Score
On top of having only 3 seniors and 0 juniors, there are only 2 sophomores. "The best thing about freshmen is they became sophomores." Lack of experience is most definitely a huge factor. So is lack of depth. So is lack of talent (because 2 of the 4 most talented players are out injured, another is making his way back gingerly from 2 ACLs).

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying. What about Northeastern and Wagner losses early in the year when the team was healthy?

Reaction Score
Check it out. Talked UConn basketball at the 12.30 min mark. Hear Jeff's thoughts on why the Huskies could win the AAC and his opinion of Coach Ollie.

Thank you for covering UConn. I enjoyed your interview with Blauds. Goodman tries to portray himself as being "real" about UConn, but it just becomes clear he really can't substantively analyze the school or program so he hides his lack of knowledge by saying they are doing too poorly to even care about. It's amazing how little ESPN bball analyst no so little about teams not ranked in the top 25.

Once again I appreciate your interviews and posts and look forward to more coverage in the future!

Reaction Score
Interviewer: "What's going on at UConn?"
Goodman: "Here's all you need to know - I haven't been to a UConn game this year. And that just shows they're irrelevant nationally."

Goodman is an idiot with an agenda, but in broken-clock-twice-a-day fashion he's not wrong here.

The truth is that over the last 3 years we've been relevant nationally for about a week and a half (Cincy through the Kansas game last March). More than anything else -- conference situation, etc. -- that's what is going to kill the program if we don't turn things around.

Reaction Score
Yep, there is a real lack of knowledge from Goodman on this. I mean, to single out Facey, a kid that is showing all sorts of moves around the hoop, and range, it is very difficult for me to imagine how in the world he says Facey hasn't developed.

If only Goodman had described Brimah that way, I doubt a single poster here would have any problem with that.

pj

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying. What about Northeastern and Wagner losses early in the year when the team was healthy?

They still had 3 seniors, 0 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 transfer soph playing with the team for the first time. That's still lack of experience, and lack of chemistry playing together.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I found myself nodding in agreement to a lot of what Goodman had to say.

But in reality the combination punch of a HOF coach leaving, the move to the AAC, and the lasting effect of the apr ban.....winning a nat'l title post death combo is not too shabby even though we've pretty much been "middle of the road" the past 3 seasons

I have high hopes for 2018, if we want to remain important in the college basketball landscape... we gotta produce

pj

Reaction Score
So you have to go back a quarter century to find a school that came back quicker?

Neat.

He has to go back to when the scholarship limit was 15 players. Now that it's 13, scholarship losses and recruiting sanctions bite harder. The reduction came in the 1993-94 season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He has to go back to when the scholarship limit was 15 players. Now that it's 13, scholarship losses and recruiting sanctions bite harder. The reduction came in the 1993-94 season.
My bigger point is confernce affiliation is a bigger issue ....

pj

Reaction Score
My bigger point is confernce affiliation is a bigger issue ....

Maybe, but we can't know that until we are past the effects of sanctions and can compare our performance to P5 schools on an apples-to-apples basis.

Reaction Score
Did you hear Goodman's thoughts on Ollie s in game coaching?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom