OT: - lifetime for vinyl siding | The Boneyard

OT: lifetime for vinyl siding

Reaction Score
I've seen estimates from 20 to 100 years, with 20-40 the most prevalent. Any experts out there?

Reaction Score
You are retired, yes? 70+?

20 years if pretty much your life expectancy. That's all you need to consider.
Yes, and yes. It's been on the house since 1987 or so... just wondering if/when it's due for replacement. There are a couple of small holes, and my wife won't let me duct tape them. There is wood trim that I'd like to get covered along the roof rake, and under the overhangs.

Reaction Score
Yes, and yes. It's been on the house since 1987 or so... just wondering if/when it's due for replacement. There are a couple of small holes, and my wife won't let me duct tape them. There is wood trim that I'd like to get covered along the roof rake, and under the overhangs.
why not caulk the holes and then have the trim wrapped? Lot less expensive than replacing the entire siding.

Reaction Score
why not caulk the holes and then have the trim wrapped? Lot less expensive than replacing the entire siding.
Yeah, that crossed my mind too... it's really hard to get people to do smaller jobs though.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I've seen estimates from 20 to 100 years, with 20-40 the most prevalent. Any experts out there?

If you've had a storm that generated 1" or better hail within the last year or two, you can have a "restoration contractor" inspect your entire exteriors: roof, window, gutters, siding, etc. It's likely that you have an accumulation of various storm damage. Be careful who you choose to work with if you go this route. If you have damage, you file a claim with your insurance carrier.

There's a lot that goes into that inspection, but those holes on your vinyl would typically be half moon shaped chunks taken out of the edge of the siding.

Reaction Score
If you've had a storm that generated 1" or better hail within the last year or two, you can have a "restoration contractor" inspect your entire exteriors: roof, window, gutters, siding, etc. It's likely that you have an accumulation of various storm damage. Be careful who you choose to work with if you go this route. If you have damage, you file a claim with your insurance carrier.

There's a lot that goes into that inspection, but those holes on your vinyl would typically be half moon shaped chunks taken out of the edge of the siding.
Pretty sure most were careless worker related. There are only 3-4 small holes here and there in the back of the house. Thanks for that info though.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
1. Vinyl is final.

2. Vinyl can be painted.

3. Vinyl is final.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads