Life After Ray Reid | The Boneyard

Life After Ray Reid

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Who would some possibilities be to replace Coach Reid after he retires? Take it fwiw but I was fairly close to his daughter (currently a Senior at UConn) and many feel as though once she graduates it won't take long for him to leave. Is there a next in line guy? Someone from outside the program maybe?

Reaction Score
Ray has been a GREAT coach. Hope he stays for a long while yet.

I don;t know his age but he seems to me that he can go for another 10 years.

Reaction Score
Ray Reid is 55 years old. He could be in Storrs for quite some time to come if he wants to stay. Considering he has one NCAA championship for UConn, always has competitive teams, and has a program that is always near the top in NCAA men's soccer attendance, he is not going to get forced out.

Funny thing, but several years ago I thought he bore a strange resemblance to an older Billy Joel.

Reaction Score
Ironic

UConn actually DID force out a MORE iconic coach than Ray Reid in Joe Morrone. Things happen ... don't bet on perpetuity.

That is certainly true, and Joe Morrone at UConn is as iconic as they come. But I would hold to the gist of what I said. The only thing I would be to slightly amend would be the competitive team part. By that, I would think that if men's soccer were to stop making the NCAA tournament consistently over a period of time, then that would certainly change things.

Reaction Score
I went on to this thread hoping to hear that Ray Reid was either moving on or being moved on. I'm really surprised to hear all this support for him. Even this year he has some great players: Nerwinski, Olafsen, Awuah, Greenberg, Geres, Brems ... even Petridis & Zuniga, although he seldom lets them see the field close up. But put it all together and it's pretty mediocre.

I think UConn deserves better than Coach Reid. Take a look at the 2014 attendance stats: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_soccer_RB/2015/2014attend.pdf.
10 teams consistently draw more than 2000 fans per home game (UConn is #3 at more than 3000) and at least 8 are consistently pretty good. And you need to walk pretty far down the list to find teams UConn doesn't have trouble with ... every year.

Reaction Score
I went on to this thread hoping to hear that Ray Reid was either moving on or being moved on. I'm really surprised to hear all this support for him. Even this year he has some great players: Nerwinski, Olafsen, Awuah, Greenberg, Geres, Brems ... even Petridis & Zuniga, although he seldom lets them see the field close up. But put it all together and it's pretty mediocre.

I think UConn deserves better than Coach Reid. Take a look at the 2014 attendance stats: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_soccer_RB/2015/2014attend.pdf.
10 teams consistently draw more than 2000 fans per home game (UConn is #3 at more than 3000) and at least 8 are consistently pretty good. And you need to walk pretty far down the list to find teams UConn doesn't have trouble with ... every year.
I was hoping the same thing. His system doesn't work yet he keeps forcing it on his players year after year.

Reaction Score
We have a solid talent pool and one of the top 3 fan bases in the nation. The right coach would have us as a perennial top 25 with top 4-8every couple of years.

Plus hopefully a facility upgrade soon...

Reaction Score

Check the dates of the posts...they were made during the beginning of August. IMHO it's time for Ray to move on.

Reaction Score
Check the dates of the posts...they were made during the beginning of August. IMHO it's time for Ray to move on.

A slight correction. The posts go back to July and August of 2015, well over a year old.

Reaction Score
I have felt this way for a few years.

MY student years was a love affair with the UConn Soccer program - it was NATIONAL big time. Yes, I have always loved hoop - my dad was a college coach. And Football. Attended both as a student. But the most fun were the Soccer big games and we did road trips all over the Northeast following them and brought KEGS into games.

Seeing Ray Reid (and contrast with the other UConn top programs) is watching a guy who just isn't putting the effort into many needed things in making this Program championship form. Yes, I expect knowing who the top recruits are; I expect the Roster is correct months ahead of the season; I want to see publicizing the Schedule; and I want an effort to bring students to the game. He lacks in all. Marrone - God rest his soul - was all in for all the UConn Program and all things soccer for Connecticut and New England. He is the example that Calhoun and Auriemma followed.

Ray Reid was given a legacy Program and he has not put forth what we need.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ray Reid was great at Southern CT but I have to say that overall, he has underperformed at UConn
I feel that can be felt in the overall buzz within the program - attendance has declined and the once huge Friends of Soccer group has dwindled
His recruitment has always puzzled me - he goes after the best soccer players and then tried to fit them into roles that some struggled
I would have liked him to recruit by position and play the kids to their strengths
There are times I wonder why he plays anybody at the midfield positions as it is his tendency to have his team play the ball from the backs, over the midfielders head and dump it long to the corners.
I know Ray knows soccer, I have worked with him at camps but I sense that he should have gone to the MLS when the opportunity knocked.
He certainly has had some success here at UConn and has brought in some great individual talent, but the last 1/2 dozen years have not been what the school has been used to
I have been going to UConn soccer since 1965 and seen many great players and teams - Ray can have more of them but may need to rethink some of his strategy
Again, Ray has a tremendous soccer knowledge and has proven success but there is something lacking in the program presently

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom