OT: - Liberty Moving Out of MSG | The Boneyard

OT: Liberty Moving Out of MSG

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sad. Yet the bright news is they may at some point get out from under the stink that is Jim Dolan. At least Dan Gilbert earned what he has, and got a championship from it. Dolan hasn't earned anything while turning the Knicks into the rudderless joke of the NBA.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Dolan has decided not to sell the team “for now”, but they will play their home games in 5000-seat Westchester County Arena (they averaged 9,888 in MSG last year).

Tina is a free agent and has been delaying her re-up decision pending the ownership situation. Las Vegas & Trader Bill?

New York Liberty relocating to Westchester, Dolan owner for now

Tina is a "core" player and the Lib can keep her if they want. I will absolutely puke if Tina goes to Vegas. 5000 seats after playing in MSG... geez.

If Tina did want out and wanted to go west to Vegas, would Bill trade the #1 pick to get her? She's one of the few players who might well be worth it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whaaaaaaat? How valuable will this franchise be a year from now when their attendance has plummeted, the NYC allure has faded, and top players have bolted? :eek: :confused:

However, on the plus side, Steph, Stewie, and Saniya might be interested in playing in Westchester County.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Whaaaaaaat? How valuable will this franchise be a year from now when their attendance as plummeted, the NYC allure has faded, and top players have bolted? :eek: :confused:

I would welcome the implosion of the Liberty if Bill were still there. But the reality is that it is very good for the W to have a competitive team in NYC and especially if it is based in MSG.

Reaction Score
The Liberty will "Pack" the Westchester County Center. This is also the home for the Westchester Knicks (the NY Knicks Developmental League Team). You are now seeing a number of WNBA Teams scaling down to smaller venues in order to reduce expenses, while continuing excellent Women's Professional Basketball. I wouldn't worry too much about the WCC (The place holds approximately 5000 people, which is essentially what they were drawing at MSG)

psconn

Reaction Score
The Liberty will "Pack" the Westchester County Center. This is also the home for the Westchester Knicks (the NY Knicks Developmental League Team). You are now seeing a number of WNBA Teams scaling down to smaller venues in order to reduce expenses, while continuing excellent Women's Professional Basketball. I wouldn't worry too much about the WCC (The place holds approximately 5000 people, which is essentially what they were drawing at MSG)

According to the OP they were averaging nearly twice that at MSG.

Reaction Score
They drew an average of 9,888 last year. I just got that from Wiki, but this historical attendance charts shows that is about normal for recent years (much lower than the first years - 1997-2003 - when they drew 13-15,000)

NYCdata: Women's Basketball - New York Liberty Attendance Records

I suspect 10,000 is not enough to justify playing in MSG - from either side. Dolan owns the arena too, so he either gives the Liberty a discount, or the Liberty pays more than they can afford. Either way it's costing Dolan. But this will cost them fans - 5,000 per game, to be exact.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
They drew an average of 9,888 last year. I just got that from Wiki, but this historical attendance charts shows that is about normal for recent years (much lower than the first years - 1997-2003 - when they drew 13-15,000)

NYCdata: Women's Basketball - New York Liberty Attendance Records

I suspect 10,000 is not enough to justify playing in MSG - from either side. Dolan owns the arena too, so he either gives the Liberty a discount, or the Liberty pays more than they can afford. Either way it's costing Dolan. But this will cost them fans - 5,000 per game, to be exact.

It's a two hour drive for me, which is more than an hour better than a trip to MSG, so maybe I'll go to an occasional game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The attendance for Liberty games was very good on a relative scale and the crowds at MSG were always very energetic. It's a shame that Dolan is involved. He could not care less and even if he would care, he is incompetent.

If Tina goes, no reason to even watch the team on TV.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm sure that's the idea - other events attended by more than 10,000 people, where the promotors pay retail for renting the venue.
makes "cents" to me. I been thinking about that for a while, along with the LA Spark in the Staples Center

Reaction Score
GREAT NEWS and good business. First, assuming Saniya remains in the WNBA this coming season I will only have to drive 10 minutes to see her play.
Next, I am not a Dolan fan but this is just good business sense. First you do not have to tie up and open "the world's most famous arena" for a 9K fans, that is a big expense.
Second, the women can practice at the joint Knicks and Rangers facility that is 10 minutes away from "Westchester's most famous arena".
The Westchester County Center is a great place to watch basketball, The Liberty will pack the house. There is also plenty of parking, the Center is located right on the Bronx River Parkway(America's First Parkway) and 5 blocks from Exit 5 on Interstate 287 just 5 miles from The NEW TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE.
On and did I mention that The WCC is a short walk from the White Plains Metro North Harlem Line station, only 30 minute express ride to Grand Central Terminal(America's Most Beautiful Train Terminal)!!!
BUT the BEST part will be Saniya coming home to play. GO GIRL!!

Reaction Score
GREAT NEWS and good business. First, assuming Saniya remains in the WNBA this coming season I will only have to drive 10 minutes to see her play.
Next, I am not a Dolan fan but this is just good business sense. First you do not have to tie up and open "the world's most famous arena" for a 9K fans, that is a big expense.
Second, the women can practice at the joint Knicks and Rangers facility that is 10 minutes away from "Westchester's most famous arena".
The Westchester County Center is a great place to watch basketball, The Liberty will pack the house. There is also plenty of parking, the Center is located right on the Bronx River Parkway(America's First Parkway) and 5 blocks from Exit 5 on Interstate 287 just 5 miles from The NEW TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE.
On and did I mention that The WCC is a short walk from the White Plains Metro North Harlem Line station, only 30 minute express ride to Grand Central Terminal(America's Most Beautiful Train Terminal)!!!
BUT the BEST part will be Saniya coming home to play. GO GIRL!!

The players already practice at the Westchester facility and that’s were the team-supplied apartments are located.

Reaction Score
The players already practice at the Westchester facility and that’s were the team-supplied apartments are located.
Thank you for the practice site info Shades, I wasn't 100% sure they were there at the Eastview site as well. Not sure about the apartments because there is really not any housing close to the site.
Best to keep the housing site on the Q.T. as we would not want some over zealous fans compromising the ladies privacy and safety. As it is the practice site looks like some small unmarked private max security lock up. I bet thousands of people drive by everyday not knowing the place is chock full of big time Profe$$ional stars.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom