Reaction Score

Attachments

• IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 220

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I'm not reading 300 posts, but is it fair to say this guy is like a Karaban clone/successor?

I kinda see like…Gradey Dick, Hawkins with more size and better D, Paul George guarding 2-4… He’s much more guard oriented than Karaban. But more a shooter than finisher.

Reaction Score
I'm not reading 300 posts, but is it fair to say this guy is like a Karaban clone/successor?
i hope not i've already written alex and stew in as our starting forwards for next year (using pencil). so we need a wing.

Reaction Score
I’m not naive enough to think that NIL is meaningless. However, I think the players Hurley targets are typically a reflection of himself. Hurley didn’t bolt for Kentucky for the most dollars. Imo the best fitting recruits look at the development they can make here to make them pro ready and able to have a long pro career. They prioritize winning, culture, and they’re fit in a program. They want to be coached hard to become better. If we lose a recruit over NIL, I don’t lose a lot of sleep over it, because that probably means that player isn’t a UConn player.

Reaction Score
I think all indications are Hurley and staff prioritized this kid as soon as he de-committed.

As the great Matrim says, nothings ever done until he’s in practice, but I imagine he’s getting our full court press and the way he fits is intriguing to everyone.

Keep in mind, too, this is a 3rd generation D1 player, he’s a basketball lifer and plays the game the right ways. With parents and grandparents who understand hoop, they have to be impressed with the program and offense we’re running. He fits perfectly.
I agree and also believe if he's a lifer, with the talent he displays, he and his family will see the value he'll get from being coached at UConn versus grabbing maximum quick cash for a year or two and not maxing out his ability and appeal to the NBA.

DH has a track record now with guys who weren't highly rated out of HS, as well as several who were, and that should be obvious to him and his family and bring him to UConn.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So more like a Castle replacement that can shoot better?

Yes - probably won't be an NBA caliber defender that quickly. But what he lacks in defensive prowess, he makes up for in shooting and shot making.

Reaction Score
He couldn't play the 4 like AK has. He could spot there, but he is a 3 through and through. Pretty versatile... I'm not sure it would be the worst thing if he even got minutes at the 2.
I dont see a ton of AK in his game (limited youtube watching). I think he might move a bit better but is significantly smaller. If we are doing white guy comparisons would a cam spencer be a better match? (EDIT: I see they are listed at similar sizes but Karaban looks heavier to me on the court )

Reaction Score
I dont see a ton of AK in his game (limited youtube watching). I think he might move a bit better but is significantly smaller. If we are doing white guy comparisons would a cam spencer be a better match? (EDIT: I see they are listed at similar sizes but Karaban looks heavier to me on the court )

AK is 6'8 220, Liam is listed 6'7 or 6'8 and 210 most recently. I think the biggest difference is just style of play. Alex has been in the post banging since he was in HS. McNeely has focused on building a perimeter skillset.

So if you are in a pinch and a guy like Hopkins is going off, could you throw McNeely at him? Sure. But having him primarily defending the 4 isn't going to be a great idea.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
AK is 6'8 220, Liam is listed 6'7 or 6'8 and 210 most recently. I think the biggest difference is just style of play. Alex has been in the post banging since he was in HS. McNeely has focused on building a perimeter skillset.

So if you are in a pinch and a guy like Hopkins is going off, could you throw McNeely at him? Sure. But having him primarily defending the 4 isn't going to be a great idea.
Alex is a perimeter guy who drives to the basket or makes cuts. He bangs down low for rebounds but not to get baskets

Reaction Score
Not sure how you fit Mcneeley, Stewart, and Karaban all into the same starting lineup

Reaction Score
All right, so sounds like he could play the 3 alongside Karaban and/or Stewart, with the 3 of them, plus Abraham, taking up the 80 minutes at the 3/4.

Reaction Score
I’m definitely going to take the word of the guy who wanted Newton benched in the Final Four on this one.
Who are you referring to? Hopefully not me because I never said that. Definitely wanted Diarra to expose Edey's slowness but never said anything about Newton.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He’s a 2/3 wing who shoots, rebounds, does a little of everything well but is primarily a scorer.

He’s got good size but he’s not a banger or finisher, he’s a perimeter player/scorer. He’ll instantly shoot and fit in the offense, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom