Lexi Gordon | The Boneyard

Lexi Gordon

Reaction Score
Does anyone kniw why she doesn’t play? Is she hurt or in the doghouse?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Does anyone kniw why she doesn’t play? Is she hurt or in the doghouse?
Unfortunately, it could be both. I continue to hope for her resurrection. Seems a shame to waste her talents. :(

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it could be both. I continue to hope for her resurrection. Seems a shame to waste her talents. :(
It is a waste, if she has talent. Have you ever seen a "spark" from her, whilst she is wearing the UCONN jersey? This hamstring injury can take 4 weeks. She has now missed three game opportunities ( though there was no chance she plays against ND ). By the time she is " healthy" , she will be back at square one ( again). I'll be shocked ( though pleasantly surprised ) if she ever gets more than 4-5 minutes at the end of blow-outs. She is so much the last player ever to enter a game that it is embarassing. Her only chance to change this is to force her way to more quality minutes by excelling. I have never seen her do anything that could be described as such. I did see her hit a three. But never two or three in a row. Does anyone see something in Lexi that I don't? And her HS record, though it got her a scholarship to UCONN, no longer applies.

Reaction Score
It is a waste, if she has talent. Have you ever seen a "spark" from her, whilst she is wearing the UCONN jersey? This hamstring injury can take 4 weeks. She has now missed three game opportunities ( though there was no chance she plays against ND ). By the time she is " healthy" , she will be back at square one ( again). I'll be shocked ( though pleasantly surprised ) if she ever gets more than 4-5 minutes at the end of blow-outs. She is so much the last player ever to enter a game that it is embarassing. Her only chance to change this is to force her way to more quality minutes by excelling. I have never seen her do anything that could be described as such. I did see her hit a three. But never two or three in a row. Does anyone see something in Lexi that I don't? And her HS record, though it got her a scholarship to UCONN, no longer applies.

Geno this year knows he must use every player that is "usable". You'll notice Coombs is being given more PT than Soph sitters got last year. Because Uconn lacks a real big he compensates with speed and multidefenses. He needs people, lots of good people to accomplish that task. Napheesa in the ND game showed the weakness of having a limited bench. Should Collier and ONO both been ejected ND would have run rampant.

I had been wondering about Ms Gordon since the season started. I totally dislike any kid relegated to the doghouse ala Walker last season It is embarrassing for the kids and fans. @oldude straightened me out on that last week or so--Lexi is having physical issues maybe hamstring.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I guess most BYers have a favorite reserve player and naturally want "their" player to be the first or second one off of the bench. My question is this: for the majority of the top tier teams, do all players play in the majority of their games, especially if they are blowouts? I have made several posts where I actually have said that I find it very hard to watch when the team is up by 20+ points deep in the 4th quarter and the starters or top 7 players are still on the court and the reserves are still in their warmups.
I think that we should be glad that every single one of our players will get into a blowout game, based upon their work in their practices.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno this year knows he must use every player that is "usable". You'll notice Coombs is being given more PT than Soph sitters got last year. Because Uconn lacks a real big he compensates with speed and multidefenses. He needs people, lots of good people to accomplish that task. Napheesa in the ND game showed the weakness of having a limited bench. Should Collier and ONO both been ejected ND would have run rampant.

I had been wondering about Ms Gordon since the season started. I totally dislike any kid relegated to the doghouse ala Walker last season It is embarrassing for the kids and fans. @oldude straightened me out on that last week or so--Lexi is having physical issues maybe hamstring.

All we can do for them from behind these keyboards is love on them, pray for them and cheer/root for them. The rest is out of our hands or control. ;)

Reaction Score
Lexi must be a great sport who puts team above self. Otherwise, one wonders why she would stick around.
I also wonder the same thing. She shows involvement from the bench cheering and such. She seems like a great gal. I wish her the best in getting healthy and improving her game so that she can contribute one day

Reaction Score
Lexi must be a great sport who puts team above self. Otherwise, one wonders why she would stick around.
Because at UConn it's about more than minutes played. Why does Molly Bent who had offers from basically every Ivy League school stick around? There's more to it than just personal stats, and that's why these kids that don't play as much stay. They see the value in being a part of this program even if they're not getting 20 minutes a night or averaging 10 points a game. There are bigger lessons being taught here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
World of difference (expectation and talent) between Lexi and Molly. The former was a top 30 ranked player in the class and therefore expected to contribute even at a program like UCONN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1544048346812.png

Ummm... let's see, what state is she from again? :rolleyes:..;)

Reaction Score
Hoopsfan22, you make it sound like it's a great experience to be on the UConn team, even if you never get off the bench. Maybe so, I don't know. What exactly is the lesson being taught that you refer to? Has UConn never had a player leave because of lack of playing time?

Seriously, I guess it just depends on the individual, their personality, the relationships they've made at school, their academic program --- who knows? Factors we can't know unless we know them personally.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Because at UConn it's about more than minutes played. Why does Molly Bent who had offers from basically every Ivy League school stick around? There's more to it than just personal stats, and that's why these kids that don't play as much stay. They see the value in being a part of this program even if they're not getting 20 minutes a night or averaging 10 points a game. There are bigger lessons being taught here.
Last I checked, the cost of an Ivy League education is $60k+ per year, and there are no athletic scholarships.

Reaction Score
Last I checked, the cost of an Ivy League education is $60k+ per year, and there are no athletic scholarships.
She had about a dozen scholarship offers, many from Ivy League schools. I know Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, and Yale, perhaps others. Are you saying they were simply offering her entrance to the school and the opportunity to pay $60k+ per year just to play basketball? I've never been recruited for D-I basketball, so I couldn't tell you how it works exactly or what it entails, but I do know the schools from which she had offers. We could probably google it to see the full list.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She had about a dozen scholarship offers, many from Ivy League schools. I know Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, and Yale, perhaps others. Are you saying they were simply offering her entrance to the school and the opportunity to pay $60k+ per year just to play basketball? I've never been recruited for D-I basketball, so I couldn't tell you how it works exactly or what it entails, but I do know the schools from which she had offers. We could probably google it to see the full list.
The Ivy League only offers “need based” academic scholarships based on a family’s ability to pay. If the Bent family was seeking financial aid from an Ivy League school, they would have filed a financial disclosure form, which includes copies of tax returns, through the financial aid clearinghouse in Princeton, NJ.

All such scholarships include a straight financial aid component, a student loan requirement and a work-study component. There are no athletic scholarships in the Ivy League.

Reaction Score
Hoopsfan22, you make it sound like it's a great experience to be on the UConn team, even if you never get off the bench. Maybe so, I don't know. What exactly is the lesson being taught that you refer to? Has UConn never had a player leave because of lack of playing time?

Seriously, I guess it just depends on the individual, their personality, the relationships they've made at school, their academic program --- who knows? Factors we can't know unless we know them personally.

The reality is that every D1 sports team has players who don't see a lot of action. And yet they stay on the team. My daughter plays college soccer and and number of girls never or almost never get on the field. Yet they stay on the team, practice every day and root on their teammates. There are lots of reason to participate in and enjoy the college sports experience. And hundreds of kids make this choice despite seeing little time on the field or court.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Lexi get it going, the team will need some extra long rang shooting next year, and Lexi could provide that.

Reaction Score

Harvard, Princeton and Yale are schools whose graduates, on average, have some of the smallest debt to repay upon graduation. If there is need, they give plenty of aid.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Harvard, Princeton and Yale are schools whose graduates, on average, have some of the smallest debt to repay upon graduation.
One of the significant advantages at all the Ivy League schools is that they all have multi-billion $ endowments. So if a really smart kid from a poor family is accepted to an Ivy League school, the school will pick up every last cent of financial assistance required for that kid to complete a 4 year education.

The school won’t pick up 100% of all costs. They will expect the student to take out a modest loan and complete some type of work study program, but as you indicate, kids won’t have to deal with a crushing debt burden after graduating from the Ivies.

Reaction Score
One of the significant advantages at all the Ivy League schools is that they all have multi-billion $ endowments. So if a really smart kid from a poor family is accepted to an Ivy League school, the school will pick up every last cent of financial assistance required for that kid to complete a 4 year education.

The school won’t pick up 100% of all costs. They will expect the student to take out a modest loan and complete some type of work study program, but as you indicate, kids won’t have to deal with a crushing debt burden after graduating from the Ivies.
Molly living on Cape Cod I assume wasn't poor, so when she had offers to go play at one of these schools, what exactly were they offering? We know what you get when you go to UConn, but what about Harvard?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Molly living on Cape Cod I assume wasn't poor, so when she had offers to go play at one of these schools, what exactly were they offering? We know what you get when you go to UConn, but what about Harvard?
If Molly’s family is very well off, and capable of picking up the entire cost of an Ivy education, then all Molly was offered was acceptance. However, if Molly’s family required some financial assistance to pay for the $60,000+ yearly cost for an Ivy education, the schools would have offered her an academic scholarship, the amount of which would have been determined by the financial aid clearinghouse in Princeton, NJ after evaluating the Bent family’s financial aid application, which would include their tax returns.

Reaction Score
This is a really good point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well let's take a look at this. For Bent and Irwin anyway. Were/are they ever going to play in the WNBA? No. And I'm sure they realized this. So what do they get out of UCONN vs say Pittsburgh or BC?

A degree on scholarship at any of the places. Not gonna play as much at UCONN but.....Probably as much or more world travel at UCONN. Better chance to win some NC's/rings/Conference championships with UCONN. Better coaching/practice against better players at UCONN. Better accomadations (flights, practice facilities, etc.) at UCONN. IF they want to do something in basketball afterwards (coaching, sports management, reporting, etc.) having the UCONN name/connections is better than pretty much every other name. Also specifically if one wanted to coach after college, spending 4 years with Geno and Co. is second to none.

So there are some benefits, depends on what you're looking for, for giving up playing time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom