Lexi Gordon | The Boneyard

Lexi Gordon

Reaction Score
Forgive this Boneyard rookie if this topic has been addressed previously, but I am puzzled by the mysterious absence of Lexi Gordon from most threads. At best, she is briefly mentioned but generally she doesn’t appear in discussions of starting and reserve lineups, skill sets, etc. If she is mentioned, she is listed at the bottom of the “depth charts” but little is said about what her deficits and strengths might be. I briefly chatted with her at First Night and found her to be enthusiastic and confident, not to mention she made two 3s in a 3 on 3 game and looked active and focused in that over-stimulating environment. Is she injured and not expected to play as a result? Are we overlooking a potential positive contributor?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A big deficit is not being able to put the ball in the basket. I don't know if there were other reasons why she got so little playing time.

Reaction Score
Forgive this Boneyard rookie if this topic has been addressed previously, but I am puzzled by the mysterious absence of Lexi Gordon from most threads. At best, she is briefly mentioned but generally she doesn’t appear in discussions of starting and reserve lineups, skill sets, etc. If she is mentioned, she is listed at the bottom of the “depth charts” but little is said about what her deficits and strengths might be. I briefly chatted with her at First Night and found her to be enthusiastic and confident, not to mention she made two 3s in a 3 on 3 game and looked active and focused in that over-stimulating environment. Is she injured and not expected to play as a result? Are we overlooking a potential positive contributor?

LG had a rough start at UConn............she was apparently not fully prepared for the rigors of Geno's practices and appeared out of her element on the court in mop up duty............she was a highly ranked high school player so the talent is there..............hopefully she will have grown from her difficult freshman year enough to be a meaningful contributor to the team this season........

Reaction Score

Thanks for reflecting on Lexi Gordon, I had/have great hopes for her as do many Uconn Fans. Her potential coming in was pretty high. Last year she was a Frosh and apparently did not meet all of Geno's prerequisite so her PT was limited, very limited.
If she can make 2 0f 3 3's all day long, and can score as we expected, Geno will be hard pressed not to play her. Until the season REALLY starts all we can do is speculate and most speculation don't show well in bright day light'; including this.

Reaction Score
She is fearless .. hope she has a breakthrough year

1540497405347.png

Reaction Score
Thanks for reflecting on Lexi Gordon, I had/have great hopes for her as do many Uconn Fans. Her potential coming in was pretty high. Last year she was a Frosh and apparently did not meet all of Geno's prerequisite so her PT was limited, very limited.
If she can make 2 0f 3 3's all day long, and can score as we expected, Geno will be hard pressed not to play her. Until the season REALLY starts all we can do is speculate and most speculation don't show well in bright day light'; including this.

if I remember correctly, LG was known more for her mid range game then her three point shooting in high school.............she was also good in transition and tough under the basket...............I wouldn't expect too much long distance shooting from her...........

Reaction Score
As I recall she was pretty well regarded out of HS. Can't believe she has no skills or forgot how to shoot. I think she found the physical aspects of the Husky program hard last year (as many freshmen do) so she had the usual first year difficulties. Don't think I'd write her off just yet.

Reaction Score
I’m a huge LG fan. I thought she would have a better year than she did. She kinda looked deer in head lights and didn’t produce. I’m hoping for a solid year out of LG. She seems like her personality is the size of Texas.

Reaction Score
We don't really know the answer to your question. Only the coaches do. She did not "flash" much when she earned ( or was awarded ) any playing time last season. We all have great hopes because we need everyone to become as good as they can be. But I think her first year ( mostly of invisibility ) has caused people to "forget" she is even on the team. I never think of her, and I think of everyone. Here's hoping she winds up first team AA. Thanks for putting her name back on the map.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Like all UCONN fans, I'll be rooting for Lexi big time. I don't know what she (or Coombs) were ranked on Blue Star but she was 29 and 22 per HG and PN. Coombs was even higher. Those rankings are just too high for these kids NOT to be contributors.

Keep in mind that Bent and Irwin were MUCH lower than Gordon (and Coombs). I would expect a greater improvement from the younger pair and that they would jump ahead of Bent and Irwin on the depth chart. Of course, it all depends on how they develop, how hard they work, and how much natural talent they actually had/have, but given their rankings, they should be solid contributors this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lexi’s issue last year was her fitness level. She was behind all of her teammates at the start of the season resulting in some nagging injuries which basically kept Lexi off the court throughout the preseason trip to Italy. Once the season started, Lexi was never able to catch up, so she ended up being the last player off the bench.

Despite that, Lexi always displayed a positive attitude on the bench with her teammates. Hopefully, this year she’s worked very hard in the offseason and will be able to compete for PT.

Reaction Score
well don't you find it a bit surprising that the number 29 ranked five star player in the country rarely played and the coach never talked about her......?

(1) That wasn't the question
(2) Not really. There is a long history of good HS players not playing a lot for Geno.

Reaction Score
well don't you find it a bit surprising that the number 29 ranked five star player in the country rarely played and the coach never talked about her......?

I don't. The coaching staff knows why a player isn't playing. Also just because a player is ranked doesn't mean that they given anything. They have to earn those minutes on the floor. As fans/alumni, we know about the expectations and standards that Coach Auriemma & Coach CD demands from the players. If a player isn't meeting those standards, they won't play. Coach has said many times. He does not care if that player is ranked #1 or #100. Nothing is ever given. It is all earned.

Reaction Score
I don't. The coaching staff knows why a player isn't playing. Also just because a player is ranked doesn't mean that they given anything. They have to earn those minutes on the floor. As fans/alumni, we know about the expectations and standards that Coach Auriemma & Coach CD demands from the players. If a player isn't meeting those standards, they won't play. Coach has said many times. He does not care if that player is ranked #1 or #100. Nothing is ever given. It is all earned.

I wasn't questioning why it happened, everybody knows the drill..................what I found somewhat surprising was that a very talented player wasn't able to make the transition to college level basketball..........not even close..............I'm sure it was a shock to the system for her..............I certainly hope that she gets it together this season...............

Reaction Score
I wasn't questioning why it happened, everybody knows the drill...what I found somewhat surprising was that a very talented player wasn't able to make the transition to college level basketball.....not even close....I'm sure it was a shock to the system for her....I certainly hope that she gets it together this season.....

Remembering Saniya Chong's odyssey, from Geno's sarcastic sound bites to valuable contributor. Many conjectured when she was going to transfer, but Saniya hung tough.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Doesn't pretty much every UConn player go through this to some degree?

At first, the player can't do anything right, Geno won't play her, etc. Over time, if she commits to learning and improving, she figures it out, becomes a great player, and we forget all about the times that she struggled.

I don't doubt that it will come together for Lexi at some point. If not this year, perhaps next year.

I'm very excited for the "Why is Christyn in Geno's doghouse?" phase, personally. Because trust me, it will happen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Doesn't pretty much every UConn player go through this to some degree?

At first, the player can't do anything right, Geno won't play her, etc. Over time, if she commits to learning and improving, she figures it out, becomes a great player, and we forget all about the times that she struggled.

I don't doubt that it will come together for Lexi at some point. If not this year, perhaps next year.

I'm very excited for the "Why is Christyn in Geno's doghouse?" phase, personally. Because trust me, it will happen.
Yes, every freshman pays a visit to Geno’s doghouse at one time or another. But the exceptionally talented ones like DT, Maya, Stewie, Kia and Lou show their stuff right away despite, or maybe because of the fact that the little Italian is on them constantly. Hopefully Christyn and possibly Liv fall into the “exceptionally talented” group.

Reaction Score
It is a big jump from high school basketball to any high profile D1 program. That is not just in the higher level of competition but also the intensity of practices. Some players have a harder time adjusting to that change both in their skill level and the effort required. All these factors are compounded by those transitioning to Uconn. That is why Geno has always been careful to chose players not just for their skill level but also if they will be able to adapt to the intensity of his program.

Then we need to add the fact that some players skills just will not transition well to the next level of competition. This is true both from high school to college and from college to the Pro's. This is not meant as an evaluation of the player in question, only a generality that needs to be considered in doing so.

Reaction Score
Remembering Saniya Chong's odyssey, from Geno's sarcastic sound bites to valuable contributor. Many conjectured when she was going to transfer, but Saniya hung tough.
And Soniya only contributed in a major way her senior year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Doesn't pretty much every UConn player go through this to some degree? .
Even Maya had a bad practice. I recall Geno being interviewed when one of the players walked by. Geno brought her over and asked,”Who just had a bad practice?” The player (Tiffany?) said almost gleefully, “Maya.” Maya didn’t have many bad practices, but did have at least that one.

And I believe that Diana was kicked out of practice at least once. Renee was banished to the swimming pool, which she hated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom