Lexi Brown | The Boneyard

Lexi Brown

Reaction Score
Just saw that Lexi Brown, waived by Minnesota, signed with the Sky.

I always thought she would do better than she has. Does anyone know what is going on with her?

Reaction Score
In college she was known as a shooter but in WNBA she is a 37% shooter. From 3 point line she shot under 30% last year. Maybe its a dip, the year before she shot 40% but then her rookie year she shot 27% so clearly ups and downs and maybe lack of consistency hurts her?

Reaction Score
A lot of times you just have to be in the right system. I think she would have done great with the Mystics but I wish her luck with the Sky.

Reaction Score
A lot of times you just have to be in the right system. I think she would have done great with the Mystics but I wish her luck with the Sky.

Even in college I think she was probably better fit at Maryland than Duke. Especially Maryland offense vs. Duke offense. Even defense JPM used to love sitting in a zone and yes Lexie got steals but I think Maryland played more pressure, more pressing which would have been good for her too. Maybe that also affected development

Reaction Score
I have once asked why have the majority of the Stanford (starred) players fizzle out at the next level. With the exception of the two sisters (who have gotten better and better) almost all the others have not really shined. One day the NCAA will put together a study of players-- coming from state universities vs the so-called elite institutions-- who have entered the draft, but not selected/drafted, and those who have been drafted 3-5 years after finishing their degree. As a staunched supporter of public schools at all level (and I have attended both public and private univ), I would be curious to know if and when these young women turned-in their bb shoes for working shoes those coming from the elite univ do significantly better in the job mkt. Of course I'm not concerned here with the usual percentage who will do well-- since they would equally do well after 4-years at Holly Gluck Univ. Of course I wouldn't ruled-out at there just might be something in the bottled water that players from the private schools are drinking. Of course if we take away these recruiting gimmicks from the private schools they will just replaced them with even more hidden others.

Reaction Score
I have once asked why have the majority of the Stanford (starred) players fizzle out at the next level. With the exception of the two sisters (who have gotten better and better) almost all the others have not really shined. One day the NCAA will put together a study of players-- coming from state universities vs the so-called elite institutions-- who have entered the draft, but not selected/drafted, and those who have been drafted 3-5 years after finishing their degree. As a staunched supporter of public schools at all level (and I have attended both public and private univ), I would be curious to know if and when these young women turned-in their bb shoes for working shoes those coming from the elite univ do significantly better in the job mkt. Of course I'm not concerned here with the usual percentage who will do well-- since they would equally do well after 4-years at Holly Gluck Univ. Of course I wouldn't ruled-out at there just might be something in the bottled water that players from the private schools are drinking. Of course if we take away these recruiting gimmicks from the private schools they will just replaced them with even more hidden others.

I don't think Chaney has improved at all. Actually, she hasn't played very much for her career. Wouldn't consider her a star. But don't disagree with your point.

Reaction Score
I don't think Chaney has improved at all. Actually, she hasn't played very much for her career. Wouldn't consider her a star. But don't disagree with your point.
Chiney (sp?)

Reaction Score
I agree with you but I thought the Lynx were a good match for her. Has she been injured?

Reaction Score
How often do fully developed college players really become dramatically different pros?

We're not talking about the NBA where they are very often getting raw players. Stanford is generally going to get almost everything out of its players and while they have had very good ones it has been rare that they have had the very best.

Haley Jones could potentially be that super star, we'll see.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting question about Stanford. I certainly expected more from the professional careers of players like Nicole Powell and Candice Wiggins.

Reaction Score
I remember when Brown and Kia Nurse were both in the draft and many of us were surprised and disappointed that the Sun chose Brown. You know what... we were right! Kia has certainly been a far better pro. I wonder why the Sun thought Brown was better?

Reaction Score
Just a good example of how hard it is to project how a player will do from one level to the next. Wonder if KLS will ever succeed at the pro level like she did in college?

Reaction Score
I guess it's a totally different world. Lots of factors. A lot of good College players excel at the Pro level, and a lot of elite college players fizzle at Pro level. Tough to really predict. I think Lexi will find her way. Like someone said, right system will help her.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I remember when Brown and Kia Nurse were both in the draft and many of us were surprised and disappointed that the Sun chose Brown. You know what... we were right! Kia has certainly been a far better pro. I wonder why the Sun thought Brown was better?

If you watched her on draft night, her reaction to being chosen by the Sun was less than enthusiastic. Her on-court effort and learning curve was disappointing. She certainly appeared to want out and her wish was granted. A huge waste of a first round pick.

Natisha Hiedeman, obtained by the Sun for Brown from Minny, showed more raw effort and intensity in her first game than Brown displayed in a whole season.

No idea what her issues were in Minnesota, but in this league there are only 144 spots and there's new folks coming at you every year for yours. You either go 100% all-in, or you end up 100% out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a good example of how hard it is to project how a player will do from one level to the next. Wonder if KLS will ever succeed at the pro level like she did in college?
She’s tearing up European pro circuit which should help her in WNBA. Chicago was a bad fit, given they already had what she offered, plus the injury, and Dallas had a ball hog offense.

psconn

Reaction Score
Lexie Brown waived by Chicago 5/13/21.
CT-->MIN-->CHI--> OUT??

psconn

Reaction Score
I never agreed with the logic but the Sun had made a commitment to Bria Holmes and saw Kia as essentially filling that same role. They felt that Brown had a fair shot of being a solid backup to Jas Thomas at the point (and perhaps an heir apparent). Brown was apparently disinterested in playing in "Neon Uncasville", however.

Reaction Score
Saw this tweet from her last night. Sounds like she may have had issues with how her concussions were managed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom