Let's talk offense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Let's talk offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nothing happened on that play that doesn't happen on every play of every college football game every week.
The officiating crew knows it was a lousy call.
Doesn't matter. Even if it is going to get called 1% of the time don't do it. Hand the ball to the referee and go back to the huddle. Then it gets called 0% of the time. Leave noting to the discretion of the officials. I would love if an NFL official threw a flag the next time a receiver spun the ball after a catch or a D-lineman got flagged for flexing after a sack. As Vince Lombardi once said later repeated by Bill Parcells "act like you've been there before".

Reaction Score
I love the throwback passes VaTech used. And if Shirreffs is that quick with his release, slants could be big gainers for us. Of course I've asking for those plays for several years to no avail. It's incredible how we mis-used Nick Williams when he was here. He would have been ideal for those plays.

Reaction Score
Johnson's unsportsmanlike penalty was a crap call. I just finished watching the replay and it appears that the only thing done was the hand gesture. I thought maybe some words were exchanged that drew the flag, but it really does not appear that was the case. Seeing as there were multiple instances of Nova players getting into the faces of UCONN players, I found it bizarre that this occurrence drew the flag.

What really pissed me off about that call is that that same call generally isn't getting called anywhere else. I watched the Wisconsin/Alabama game and all kids were doing were 'feed me' signs as Alabama was marching down the field. No flags in sight. When Manziel was at A&M, he was never called for that 'money sign' until after that autograph investigation, and after it was already a national sensation. That call is generally not getting made against any big time program. They're apparently more lenient with player flamboyance on nationally televised or prime time games. Any refs officiating UConn games down the road need to lighten up on the celebration penalties and just let them play. But they probably won't and will have to behave like nuns the rest of the year just to avoid any flags.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just re-watched all of Shirreffs 20 pass attempts. 17 out of 20 Shirreffs took 3 seconds or less to throw the ball. I hope that continues.

What were the results of the other 3? I remember the deep sideline route to Thomas.

Reaction Score
What were the results of the other 3? I remember the deep sideline route to Thomas.

From what I remember the deep Thomas pass was released in about 3 seconds. Two of the three longer developing plays were play-action, the other one was the big play to Myers.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. Even if it is going to get called 1% of the time don't do it. Hand the ball to the referee and go back to the huddle. Then it gets called 0% of the time. Leave noting to the discretion of the officials. I would love if an NFL official threw a flag the next time a receiver spun the ball after a catch or a D-lineman got flagged for flexing after a sack. As Vince Lombardi once said later repeated by Bill Parcells "act like you've been there before".

It's an unreasonable expectation. Like I said, it happens on every play.

My statement about the officiating crew is not speculation.

Reaction Score
Saw some good technique by Vechery getting to the second level on run plays. These guys are ahead of where we were, still need work but looks like they have a plan.

Reaction Score
Saw some good technique by Vechery getting to the second level on run plays. These guys are ahead of where we were, still need work but looks like they have a plan.

For a first game starting for a former walk on, I though Vechery did great. If he continues to develop, he could be a long time starter there and we can move Crozier to the spot that would be best long-term for the unit. Not that I would know where that would be, but we would not be forced to have him play there.

Reaction Score
Being that Villanova ran a 3-3-5 defense we probably won't get a good feel for the OL until after the Mizzu game.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
In the runway ramblings blog, Jim Fuller notes that DeLo and Marriner are now contributing more in the blocking game as h-backs.

A quick look at the final statistics in the Villanova game would indicate that neither Max DeLorenzo nor Josh Marriner had a rushing attempt for UConn. It was a far cry from the 2014 season opener when the duo tied for the team lead with nine rushing attempts.

However, saying that they did not play a role in the running game would be completely inaccurate. On Ron Johnson's 10-yard run on the opening drive, one of the key blocks was thrown by Marriner. When UConn needed one yard to pick up a first down and clinch the victory, UConn gave the ball to Johnson who picked up the first down thanks to a solid block from DeLorenzo.

DeLorenzo and Marriner have made the move from tailback to h-back where they might catch some passes but more likely they will be asked to take on opposing pass rushers or spring either Johnson or Arkeel Newsome as blockers.

Jim goes on to note this could free up the TEs to be passing targets more often.

Reaction Score
Guess I'm in the minority that thinks it's important to run your best offensive scheme against opponents as often as you can and get better at it. Missouri is game 3 and holding out plays and schemes till then misses a lot of opportunities to get better at these plays (and maybe find out how to make more effective). I'm not expecting "way out there" type play changes against Missouri, show can execute plays against Army so are better able to do them against Missouri. The differences in defensive abilities by each opponent should change the play calling emphasis enough, but UConn has to be good (and practiced) at its bread and butter plays.
If you want Arkeel to run inside, get him carries so it isn't always passing downs; want quick hitting plays don't always line up running back 5 yards back, want to challenge the edge then pull opposite guards on sweeps, want to slow down line/linebacker pursuit use misdirection and run some naked bootlegs, etc. Get better at plays you think can work and give opponent defensive coordinators more to worry about. Make other team cover whole field and think lot of play options are open on each play/formation/personnel package,

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Other than the safety, they didn't shoot themselves in the foot. Last year they would have given up two safeties, probably by snapping the ball out of the end zone, the second time they were backed up to their own goal line. Progress.

The brutal truth is that the was an FCS team and while it wasn't loss to Towson nor the nail biter to Stony Brook, it wasn't dominating by any stretch. The QB had too much pressure and they had trouble opening holes for the backs. On the plus side, Shirreffs looked the part on a leader who can keep his head about him and deliver the ball. Keeping him healthy is priority number one. There were also far fewer mistakes, so that's good. The two minute offense needs a ton of work starting with the play calling and time management.

Finally, while we didn't get to see a lot of the WRs, I didn't see them getting a a lot of separation, that could be a problem.

Basic competence by the Offensive Coordinator goes a long way, and UConn had that on Thursday. I am not sure how much else we can derive from the win.

Reaction Score
I think the offense we saw on Thursday is the offense we will see all season. And it is a very solid offensive scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom