Let's meet the women of Kutztown State University Basketball | The Boneyard

Let's meet the women of Kutztown State University Basketball

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1666565868378.png

At the risk of jumping the gun (the exhibition game is still 2 weeks from today Nov 6), I decided to post the roster and a few facts about our next opponent, the Kutztown State Golden Bears.

THE BOROUGH OF KUTZTOWN -
The charming borough of Kutztown is nestled in the Pennsylvania Dutch countryside of Berks County, in southeastern Pennsylvania. The quiet, rural atmosphere belies the town's proximity to several major cities - 2.5 hours from New York City, 3 hours from Washington, DC, and Baltimore, 1.5 hours from Philadelphia, just over an hour from Harrisburg, and only half an hour from Reading and Allentown.

Enrollment: 7,469
Founded: 1866
President: Dr. Kenneth S. Hawkinson
Nickname: Golden Bears
Colors: Maroon & Gold
Affiliation: NCAA Division II
Conference: Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Eastern Division; East Coast Conference (women's bowling)
2021-2022 Record - 26-7/18-3

Kutztown University heard its name called as part of the 64-team 2022 NCAA Division II Women's Basketball Championship field for just the second time in program history last season. The Golden Bears earned an at-large berth and the No. 3 seed in the Atlantic Region bracket thanks to a school-record 26 wins (26-6 overall record) and strong 24-3 in-region record. The Kutztown University women's basketball team had all five starters score in double figures. KU's magical season came to a close in a 78-68 defeat to Charleston (W.Va.) in an NCAA First Round game at the Waco Center at Glenville State University.

Kutztown WBB 2022-2023 Roster
Head coach Janet Malouf enters her 28th season as head women’s basketball coach at Kutztown University in 2022-23.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it’s very generous of the schools who play these exhibition games with us each year. They get a preview of a top team, and the competition is rarely close, but it’s friendly. And I gather the girls get to hang out together a little.

Reaction Score
I think it’s very generous of the schools who play these exhibition games with us each year. They get a preview of a top team, and the competition is rarely close, but it’s friendly. And I gather the girls get to hang out together a little.
What DII kid wouldn't want to play against Geno and UConn? It's got to be one of the biggest thrills they will ever have in basketball......

Carnac

Reaction Score
What DII kid wouldn't want to play against Geno and UConn? It's got to be one of the biggest thrills they will ever have in basketball......
Very true Chuck. It's a once-in-a-lifetime treat for a Dll WCBB player to go to Gampel Pavilion to play. In the past, I've read where the visiting players took a load of pictures of the trophies, the facility, and a ton of selfies.

UConn's players have always been gracious to the teams coming in to play an exhibition game often posing for selfies and signing autographs. It's not about winning or losing for the visitors. It's about playing in "hallowed" Gampel Pavilion and competing against UConn to see how you match up against an "elite" D-1 program. :cool:

Reaction Score
Isn't there a financial incentive for the visiting team? Of course the kids are thrilled without regard to any financial incentives. FYI there won't be a lot of pictures taken of trophies. The best the visitors are going to get are pictures of the banners. The game is at the XL center.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Thats right Skeets, the game is at the XL. I do hope, among the other perks that have been mentioned, that they have a chance to visit the Werth center. This is a facility that shows the history of the program, and they will get a kick out of the player images, the trophies, and all the accolades that the program has accumulated over the years. The game should have been at Gampel for all the history and banners that are on display. Its a lifetime basketball experience, almost the UConn version of the basketball hall of fame (Little off the wall there) LOL. It will be fun for them and I hope they are looking forward to the game. I'm sure the team, including Paige, will accommodate them with pictures and autographs. All a good time in store for them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What DII school wouldn’t want the generous payday?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thats right Skeets, the game is at the XL.
Really? That is an enormous money loser for us. We pay the XL Center $40,000 +3 dollars per ticket sold.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Isn't there a financial incentive for the visiting team? Of course the kids are thrilled without regard to any financial incentives. FYI there won't be a lot of pictures taken of trophies. The best the visitors are going to get are pictures of the banners. The game is at the XL center.
I was referring to picture-taking at UConn women exibition games that are played in Gampel Pavilion which most of their exhibition games are. You’re correct. There are no trophies on display at the XL Center.

Yes, many programs give financial compensation to smaller schools for them to travel to their campus for an exhibition game.

Baylor paid NAIA Langston University (Oklahoma) to go to Waco for an exibition game several times.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Really? That is an enormous money loser for us. We pay the XL Center $40,000 +3 dollars per ticket sold.
This game was a bone that was thrown to the people who bought season tickets to the XL center games. We only get 6 real games plus the exhibition. They should have given 7 games at the XL and play the exhibition in Gampel where it belongs. As I said before, I hope they get to go to Storrs and see all the sights, as a trip to Hartford is an experience they can get in any city anywhere.

Reaction Score
I was referring to picture-taking at UConn women exibition games that are played in Gampel Pavilion which most of their exhibition games are. You’re correct. There are no trophies on display at the XL Center.

Yes, many programs give financial compensation to smaller schools for them to travel to their campus for an exhibition game.

Baylor paid NAIA Langston University (Oklahoma) to go to Waco for an exibition game several times.
I’m sure they’ll be spending dome time in Gampel.
Part of the attraction.

Reaction Score
Ahh, is that maybe some funny accounting? Isn't the XL Center owed by the great state and people of CT? If not, why the heck did we (taxpayers) pour millions into the disastrous XL Center's improvements several years ago (and inconceivably contemplating doing so again)? I'm under the impression that only the management of the XL Center is a third party. So, can you follow this nonsense? I can't... (At risk of being given a time out I suspect it's a little like a wealth distribution scheme. Tuition payers have lots of money.)

Of course I could be wrong. Anyone with exact knowledge please correct me.

Reaction Score
Kutztown lost its best player to graduation. A couple of returnees averaged 10-11 ppg. Not much size in the post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom