Let's keep the Big 12 stuff in perspective, yes? | The Boneyard

Let's keep the Big 12 stuff in perspective, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's been a lot of back and forth on whether UConn should be invited to join the Big 12. Well, over on Yahoo, someone started a "bracket", featuring a variety of teams that are being talked up as potential Big 12 candidates, including UConn. In the first round, UConn faced UCF and lost. Not USF, but UCF, for cryin' out loud.

Now, I know this has no real meaning, but it might be worth remembering when you're inclined to argue about the various advantages of a UConn entry. In at least some parts of the country, they ain't having any of it!

Reaction Score
I heard Rick Neuseisel on the radio last week saying he wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA go to the Big 12 (fed up with USC's hegemony in PAC). I doubt this will actually happen, but that's the type of football program the P5 are looking for. Realistically I see B12 adding BYU & Houston.

Reaction Score
BYU sounds like it has the best chance, then Houston and Cincy. It just does not sound like UConn is a likely match.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Houston, IMO, is virtually a lock. Then Cincy because a footprint in Ohio would be good for recruiting.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I heard Rick Neuseisel on the radio last week saying he wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA go to the Big 12 (fed up with USC's hegemony in PAC). I doubt this will actually happen, but that's the type of football program the P5 are looking for. Realistically I see B12 adding BYU & Houston.
I agree with your last sentence.

Conversely, I don't know what Neuheisel was talking about, exactly. UCLA is (unfortunately, yuck) indeed a storied championship school in a number of sports, WBB not among them. I don't see USC dominating much. I will say that they may dominate the city (don't know) but that wouldn't change based on conference.

Reaction Score
I heard Rick Neuseisel on the radio last week saying he wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA go to the Big 12 (fed up with USC's hegemony in PAC). .

Haha. One of the dumber statements.
That will absolutely 1000000% not happen.

No p5 team is going to go to the only conference with no tv network nd the highest probability of breaking up.

Reaction Score
I heard Rick Neuseisel on the radio last week saying he wouldn't be surprised to see UCLA go to the Big 12 (fed up with USC's hegemony in PAC). I doubt this will actually happen.
Right vowelguy about the TV, and UCLA's very high academic stature is reinforced by its competition with its sister school at Berkeley and with Stanford. It ain't going anywhere. Only a jock could imagine it would (no offense to other jocks!).

Reaction Score
Right vowelguy about the TV, and UCLA's very high academic stature is reinforced by its competition with its sister school at Berkeley and with Stanford. It ain't going anywhere. Only a jock could imagine it would (no offense to other jocks!).

It has nothing to do with academics.
Nor with jocks.
Only someone who is brain dead would have a p5 team going to the big 12

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with academics.
Nor with jocks.
Only someone who is brain dead would have a p5 team going to the big 12
Not looking for a debate here, vowelguy, and while I acknowledge your point, I don't think you appreciate mine. If you ever went to "The Big Game" between Cal and Stanford or felt the not-so-subtle academic and athletic competition between UCLA and Cal, you'd know how important that association of prestige is to the faculty and administrators of those institutions. I vividly remember how UCLA went nuts when they upset my great Cal team in football in 75--it's a natural grudge match. UCLA has long been thought the slightly weaker academic sister to Cal (less and less deservedly so in recent years), and it really pisses them off.

Reaction Score
Appreciating or not appreciating your ponit doesn't matter. It is irrelevant.

No school is going to leave a P5 conference for the weakest, most unstable one. End of story.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Big 12 to hear presentations from 17 schools (including UCONN), unlikely to add more than 2

Sources: Big 12 to talk expansion with 17 schools
IMHO, I think it's an incredible long shot for UCONN to make it to that conference. The unfortunate fact that they are going after non P5 conference teams is especially troubling. Most likely the American will be down 2 more teams and will have to add the likes of East Podunk U and North Central Vermont State. UCONN is a more logical fit for the Big 10, and an even better fit for the ACC. It would be nice if the conferences that were expanding were looking to raid other P5 conferences, but that's not the case. Now it seems likely we get passed over by Cinci and Houston, and maybe even USF and UCF... Who'd have thunk that several years ago?

Reaction Score
IMHO, I think it's an incredible long shot for UCONN to make it to that conference. The unfortunate fact that they are going after non P5 conference teams is especially troubling. Most likely the American will be down 2 more teams and will have to add the likes of East Podunk U and North Central Vermont State. UCONN is a more logical fit for the Big 10, and an even better fit for the ACC. It would be nice if the conferences that were expanding were looking to raid other P5 conferences, but that's not the case. Now it seems likely we get passed over by Cinci and Houston, and maybe even USF and UCF... Who'd have thunk that several years ago?
My guess is Houston & BYU - legit football programs. Fuss right now about BYU's policies toward LBGT, and concern about BYU not playing on Sunday. I follow this from Oklahoma football perspective. The other talk is OU going to SEC, but they'd have to wait 5-6 years. Everyone is fed up with Texas and their protecting of their UT network. That more than anything makes the B12 precarious as a conference (ref. Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom