Let's go with the players we have | The Boneyard

Let's go with the players we have

Reaction Score
Today is week 10 since Bueckers surgery on Dec. 13. According to Geno, she's not playing this last week of regular season. Let's not do what some other teams do and have their players come back when maybe the safest thing to do is sit out the rest of season. Right now we have everyone back. Let's go with the 8 deep that rotate in plus the other 2 on the bench. When has Geno gone 8 deep? It's been a while. Usually 7 at the most. Let this year's seniors now step up! Win these last 3 regular season games, then Big East Tournament, and the first 2 games in NCAA Tournament. Anything after that might just be maybe winning streak momentum and confidence taking over going into the Sweet 16. What say you, UCONN fans?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If Paige is ready to go, cleared medically and able to practice, that is when we will see her. I am guessing that it is going to happen this season, the sooner the better for us fans. Why would any of us think that having her on the court would not make us an even better team?

But the bottom line is that not one of us BYers knows how this will play out.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Why would any of us think that having her on the court would not make us an even better team?
Can't resist the opportunity to play devil's advocate here. While the rest of the team will be in various stages of mid season form, Paige will be back at pre-season form, while nursing an injury. Will she have the same quickness and mobility she had pre-injury? She will be taking playing time away from one or more players who have been contributing and earning playing time. Many fans talk about earning playing time, but are willing to play Paige based on reputation alone. Why risk further injury for Paige? Do we trust that Paige will be completely honest about her physical condition? Not saying she is a dishonest person, but her desire to play may override her honest assessment of her physical condition.

Just making a few arguments why she shouldn't play at this point. But how can Geno keep her out if she is "cleared" to play? But if it doesn't work out, you can't even imagine the amount of second guessing that will ensue.

Reaction Score
If medically cleared, and she feels ready to play - she should play. Remember, this young lady was the best female baller in the nation last year and won every major award - as a freshman. Paige at 50% would still be the best player on the court - meh!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
There seems to be an assumption that if Paige does not play this season she will be 100% next fall.
My bet is Paige will not be on a couch from April to September...she will be working on her game...playing the game she loves...whether on a team or one-on-one or just doing individual drills. There is zero guarantee that 'no Paige now' will result in 100% Paige next fall...that is true for 100% of the players in college.

When the medical professionals clear her...she will have to 'clear herself' and then it will be up to Geno as to if/when/how much she does play. IMO...that is the way it should be.

sun

Reaction Score
Paige would not have much incentive or opportunity to lie about her condition at all.
Geno is the judge of her performance level on the court.
And it would be difficult for Paige to mask physical pain while playing.
I doubt that she would be able to effectively lie in order to risk her own career for any short term gain.
She's smart & loves the team enough to not play if she feels unable to perform to her own level of expectation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

" Let's go with the players we have".

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Reaction Score
I say play Paige AS
Today is week 10 since Bueckers surgery on Dec. 13. According to Geno, she's not playing this last week of regular season. Let's not do what some other teams do and have their players come back when maybe the safest thing to do is sit out the rest of season. Right now we have everyone back. Let's go with the 8 deep that rotate in plus the other 2 on the bench. When has Geno gone 8 deep? It's been a while. Usually 7 at the most. Let this year's seniors now step up! Win these last 3 regular season games, then Big East Tournament, and the first 2 games in NCAA Tournament. Anything after that might just be maybe winning streak momentum and confidence taking over going into the Sweet 16. What say you, UCONN fans?
I say play Paige ASAP.

Reaction Score
Last I heard, Paige Bueckers has the final say...and Geno said she will tell him when she is ready. Personally, I want to see her play in the tournaments after the seasons ends. She is a great player, a fighter with a big heart, let her be who she is.

PvP

Reaction Score
As much as I am eager for Paige's return, since she isn't going to be cleared to play this week, I would be very concerned if she tried to participate to any great extent during the BE tournament as 3 games in as many days seem to me an unwise risk for anyone coming back from such a serious injury. I also don't believe that we need her to win that tourney.

Rather I would hope she would gradually build up her agility and stamina each day until the beginning of the Big Dance when she can gradually be able to build minutes early in the regionals and hopefully then being able to do her magic when we need her most.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can't resist the opportunity to play devil's advocate here. While the rest of the team will be in various stages of mid season form, Paige will be back at pre-season form, while nursing an injury. Will she have the same quickness and mobility she had pre-injury? She will be taking playing time away from one or more players who have been contributing and earning playing time. Many fans talk about earning playing time, but are willing to play Paige based on reputation alone. Why risk further injury for Paige? Do we trust that Paige will be completely honest about her physical condition? Not saying she is a dishonest person, but her desire to play may override her honest assessment of her physical condition.

Just making a few arguments why she shouldn't play at this point. But how can Geno keep her out if she is "cleared" to play? But if it doesn't work out, you can't even imagine the amount of second guessing that will ensue.
We have players nursing injuries on the team right now. But if Paige is medically cleared, Ian feels comfortable playing, she should. It really is that simple in my opinion.

Keep in mind that Paige’s high basketball IQ in her past first mentality probably put her in a fairly unique situation to come back and join the team. I strongly suspect there will be an immediate improvement in our “flow.”

Reaction Score
Rather I would hope she would gradually build up her agility and stamina each day until the beginning of the Big Dance when she can gradually be able to build minutes early in the regionals and hopefully then being able to do her magic when we need her most.
That is what she is doing now. That is ample time. She will be ready when she will be ready. She has enough friends, teammates, parents, coaches and medical staff to look after her. We are just fans...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Paige is a leader. Paige makes others better. Paige is unselfish. Paige is one of if not the Best Player in the country. If Paige wants to play then Paige should play. The off-season is quite long.
And I believe that Geno has said that when Paige is cleared medically to play, then it will be Paige's decision on when she starts practicing. And when she has been practicing, then it is up to Geno to decide when to play her. Even if Paige is practicing and says she is ready, she has to prove to Geno that she is game ready. And based on Geno's comments in the Georgetown post game presser, she won't be playing in any of the 3 remaining games of the regular season.

Reaction Score
Last I heard, Paige Bueckers has the final say...
No, Geno has the final say. Paige first has to decide when she’s ready, but it’s still up to Geno whether he agrees.

In 1998, Shea was still recovering from her ACL when Sales went down. She begged Geno to let her play. He refused. Her longterm health was better served by taking the red shirt and recovering for another 6 months.

I’m confident that the trainers and coaches have Paige’s best interests at heart, and that will determine what happens.

I know the board sentiment is that 100% she will be back, but I will not be surprised either way.

Reaction Score
She was playing the best basketball of her life before she got hurt. The sad truth though is that if you play with that level of aggressiveness, diving all over the floor, you damage your body prematurely. It's why most centerfielders are young in MLB. It isn't just the speed lost from aging. It's the accumulated injuries. If I were her Dad, I would recommend that she save her body at least some. She's a special talent and she's already proven it. Her body is a little frail to begin with. She has been lucky to not get hurt much before. She needs to cool the diving all over the floor. Keeping her on the floor is worth 1 less steal per game. Save it for the FF.

Reaction Score
Paige may not necessarily want it, but there are certain story-lines that are unique this year. That puts added pressure on her decision. One possibility is she comes back near 100% and miraculously turns one of the most stressful and disappointing seasons ever into a championship run in her hometown. That would be like a fairy-tale ending make her a legend in the sport and amplify her prospects of earning far more than any other college player.

That potential story can only happen this year. Sure she can win a championship another year, but it won't be as much of a comeback story, a turnaround story, or magically in her hometown.

On the other hand there is no guarantee Uconn can win a championship with her. If she comes back a little early she may be nowhere close to the player she was previously, and the comeback and season wind up being a failure after getting our hopes up due to her return.

Either way the ultimate success or failure of the team may be unfairly thrown on her back. Some players (Nika comes to mind) speak as if her return is certain. If Paige believes it is too early to come back in her mind, she will wind up disappointing many of her teammates, which you know she doesn't want to do.

The circumstances and timing of when she might be ready and the looming tournament, and fans, players, parents and coaches expectations all put an unusual amount of pressure on her. She can't avoid that, but once she makes a decision I hope everyone excepts it, whether they agree with it or not, and we move to cheering her on this year, or looking forward to next year. it is not an easy position for a college sophomore to be in.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Hard to say how adding her back this late in the season will affect the team. Roles still feel pretty undefined for UCONN compared to previous seasons. Any given night one of Williams, Ducharme or Fudd can step up as a go to player and be quiet the next. Feels like roles are constantly shifting, and I think for team success UCONN needs players to carve out their spots the rest of the way, provided they can stay healthy and stay on the court.

Adding in Bueckers will completely shakes up team chemistry since she's a ball dominant player and a go to scorer. On one hand, it will be a bit of an adjustment without much time to develop chemistry, and who knows how quickly she can shake off rust. On the other hand, it's Paige Bueckers...she's far and away the best player on UCONN and the reigning NPOY, so having her on the court is likely a huge boost. If she's healthy I think she plays and UCONN is a far more dangerous team, but it'll be an adjustment regardless.

On the men's side, Duke in 2010-11 had a similar situation when Kyrie Irving (who was likely on track to win NPOY, or at worst be a top 2-3 candidate) got injured 8 games into the year and the entire season had a "will he or wont he return" cloud hanging over the team. Other players stepped up in a big way and Duke still had a strong year, earning a #1 seed. Irving finally returned in the NCAA tournament and the team chemistry went out the window when he was back. They almost lost in the 2nd Round and got beat by 16 in the Sweet 16, despite Irving having a great game. All of the roles and chemistry the team had developed throughout the season without Irving was out the window once he was back in the lineup. It wasn't Irving's fault at all, but just unfortunate timing to try and reincorporate the best player in the country so late in the season.

Reaction Score
. Irving finally returned in the NCAA tournament and the team chemistry went out the window when he was back.

Yeah but it's Kyrie Irving. How many NBA players and coaches have enjoyed having him on their team?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yeah but it's Kyrie Irving. How many NBA players and coaches have enjoyed having him on their team?
Irving was actually well liked while at Duke by coaches/teammates. At any rate, it's just an example of how adding in an uber talented player late in the season can change chemistry.

Reaction Score

Sounds good but I volunteer you to let Paige know. Tell her then DUCK! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom