OT: - Let's go living in the past | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Let's go living in the past

Reaction Score
How about the LeBron James webcast thing about 10 years ago, where you can watch him and his family eat breakfast and do laundry and what not. What was that?? Better question, WHY was that??

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
yup; it was around the same time the Big East had the 6 personal foul rule. I thought that hurt the teams in the NCAA tournament as league play got pretty rough with that extra foul allowance. But the ACC 3pt line was ridiculously close.
It was quite a few years earlier than the six personal foul rule.

In the 1986-1987 season the NCAA adopted a universal three point line (I think it was 19'9" but could have been a different distance), prior to that (beginning I believe in 1982-1983) individual conferences were allowed to use three point lines, at the distance of their choosing, for conference games only.

The BE adopted six fouls before disqualification for the 1989-1990 season (Dream Season for UConn fans) but scrapped it shortly after (don't recall if it lasted a second season) as among other things, all but one BE school (we were the outlier) dramatically underperformed in the NCAA tournament due in large part to foul trouble (BE players got a bit too accustomed to having an extra foul before fouling out).

I still contend that the (stupid) six foul rule impacted our OT loss to Duke in the regional final as Scott Burrell fouling out in the second half hurt us tremendously.

Reaction Score
The BE adopted six fouls before disqualification for the 1989-1990 season (Dream Season for UConn fans) but scrapped it shortly after (don't recall if it lasted a second season) as among other things, all but one BE school (we were the outlier) dramatically underperformed in the NCAA tournament due in large part to foul trouble (BE players got a bit too accustomed to having an extra foul before fouling out).
The 6 foul rule in the Big East was used for 3 seasons. 1989-1990 season through 1991-1992 season.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
This. This is the commercial, the one that I've remembered since it aired.

Reaction Score
Those strength shoes remind me... At St. Joseph-Notre Dame HS in Alameda California, there is a pair of truly ancient jump-trainers that had been invented by Frank LaPorte, hoops coach at St. Joe's during the 80's and 90's... I know about this because I saw Jason Kidd play there for all four of his incredibly dominant years.

Wish I could find a pic... They were soles you attached to your shoes like the old skate-key roller skates. The were spring loaded, heels down, toes raised. Looked like they were made of steel with rubber soles on the bottom... Also looked dangerous to use. Coach LaPorte was born in 1933, so maybe these things were invented sometime in the late 50's?? I think LaPorte started coaching in 1956, so that's probably a good ballpark date. These contraptions looked like they'd been sitting idle in the trophy case forever.

I guess you could say they were the steampunk version of the shoes above. Now THAT is OLD-school!!

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Color me older'n dirt.

keds.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads