Let's get serious about basketball metrics and Uconn's success or lack there of.... | The Boneyard

Let's get serious about basketball metrics and Uconn's success or lack there of....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Friends of Uconn Hoops:

I'd like to preface this article by stating that I am a HUGE Uconn Basketball fan; yet an amateur basketball analyst. I believe we spend too much time looking at the day-to-day progress, or lack there of that exists with our team. As a dedicated fan and believer, I implore you all to investigate the methods in which we assess team success and the measures that we use to quantify a simple game. Oftentimes we are the underdog in moments of National spotlight and we overcome such hurdles. This "odds" scenario is quantifiable to an extent; however, as we know end results do not always translate into future success.

Basketball requires ten men on court, two baskets tangential to an officially sized court, a ball, referees, a coaching staff and a bench. The ball is the most obedient object within the perimeter of the court while many variables are at play. The end result of the competition relies on both physical skill and mental strength; this metric is understood by many as team ability that thus materializes into a National ranking. We cannot predict the future rankings, nor can we completely understand the past rankings; however, metric models give us a sense of how to use data to our advantage.

A National ranking evokes many quantifiable and non-quantifiable characteristics about basketball. It predicts the future standing of a team on a weekly basis in a manner that creates an objective opinion, not an objective truth. It is the result of an inherent bias within the polling process of coaches, reporters, and analysts alike. Human error exists both on the court and behind the desk.

I would like to use this thread to hold an open discourse about:

1) What rankings are most important to us Uconn Fans such as.....

2) How we think the "informed" analysts use data.....

3) Is basketball statistic theory developed enough to create accurate data sets......

4) Do team coaching strategies need to understand the data to get ahead an win games and does this competition for information already exist......

5) Do you have a quantitative background in statistics, economics, etc.....

Thanks

Reaction Score
Friends of Uconn Hoops:

I'd like to preface this article by stating that I am a HUGE Uconn Basketball fan; yet an amateur basketball analyst. I believe we spend too much time looking at the day-to-day progress, or lack there of that exists with our team. As a dedicated fan and believer, I implore you all to investigate the methods in which we assess team success and the measures that we use to quantify a simple game. Oftentimes we are the underdog in moments of National spotlight and we overcome such hurdles. This "odds" scenario is quantifiable to an extent; however, as we know end results do not always translate into future success.

Basketball requires ten men on court, two baskets tangential to an officially sized court, a ball, referees, a coaching staff and a bench. The ball is the most obedient object within the perimeter of the court while many variables are at play. The end result of the competition relies on both physical skill and mental strength; this metric is understood by many as team ability that thus materializes into a National ranking. We cannot predict the future rankings, nor can we completely understand the past rankings; however, metric models give us a sense of how to use data to our advantage.

A National ranking evokes many quantifiable and non-quantifiable characteristics about basketball. It predicts the future standing of a team on a weekly basis in a manner that creates an objective opinion, not an objective truth. It is the result of an inherent bias within the polling process of coaches, reporters, and analysts alike. Human error exists both on the court and behind the desk.

I would like to use this thread to hold an open discourse about:

1) What rankings are most important to us Uconn Fans such as.....NOT MUCH

2) How we think the "informed" analysts use data.....NOT MUCH

3) Is basketball statistic theory developed enough to create accurate data sets.NOT MUCH

4) Do team coaching strategies need to understand the data to get ahead an win games and does this competition for information already exist.SCORE MORE POINTS

5) Do you have a quantitative background in statistics, economics, etc.....COULD GIVE A RATS A**

Thanks

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sorry Professor but I've been out of the college classroom nearly 40 years on an undergrad level and never made it to statistics - in fact I barely made it to any classes. While i graduated with a fairly decent GPA, going through college stoned and drunk is not something I want to reccomend. Now if I can only remember most of classes I did enroll in.............

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
has chap gone to the other side?

Nope. Way too much in the way of correct grammar and complete sentences here. Peyote withdrawal doesn't happen this quickly.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Where is the dude. He's been mia since 1/22.

I'm sure most won't be upset by this. But the dude was carrying a load of serious medical problems. Hope he just got tired of being a lightening rod.

Personally he never bothered me. Well that's not totally true. I hated that he had a better post to like ratio for a while. So I decided to dumb down and act stupid to get ahead of him. It worked.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where is the dude. He's been mia since 1/22.

I'm sure most won't be upset by this. But the dude was carrying a load of serious medical problems. Hope he just got tired of being a lightening rod.

Personally he never bothered me. Well that's not totally true. I hated that he had a better post to like ratio for a while. So I decided to dumb down and act stupid to get ahead of him. It worked.
While seeing American Sniper on Saturday, I saw a trailer for a movie that I think explains what we may have been dealing with:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How many championships has this program won in the last year?
In the last 5 years?
In the last 15?

This metric is GREEN.

Reaction Score
Was there a competition in how many ways and times you can use the word quantify in a post that i didnt know about?

Reaction Score
Perhaps Schrodinger's equation is applicable here.

ie, in some universe, UConn won all it's games this year by 100 pts.

Reaction Score
If national championships were decided by stats we probably have none.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
9b4c5146e6cd2feeaa2067cb08cd0987076663267b84f939f51e29e2b966bdd4.jpg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I've done stats in the past, but only if you compensate me. This isn't the NCAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom