Lets do it again. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lets do it again.

Reaction Score
Where will the rebounds come from other than Liv?

Where did they come from this past year other than Liv? The 2nd leading rebounder was Walker.

There is no way the combination of Evina, Anna, and Paige can't at least equate last year Meg Walker, Anna, and Dangerfield?

Secondly, with a lineup like this you're going to try to play fast pace in which you force the opposing bigs other than Liv's defender to defend on the perimeter along with the smaller lineup may press a lot more thus getting more steals.

You don't have to win the rebounds in order to beat the elite teams if you could either shoot terrific or get a lot of steals or highly disrupt the offense by aggressively defending the guards that get the ball to the bigs in good positions. Or ofc force the team to play small then you might even win the rebounds game.

But the 1st priority of hoop is to score more points than the other team. Not get more rebounds. How many teams are out there that have such quality bigs that they could pound and beat a terrific small lineup? Last year there were 3 or maybe 4.

This past year UCONN had:
1st team A/A Meg Walker
Honorable Mention Dangerfield
Honorable Mention Olivia
Honorable Mention CWilliams

This upcoming year they have 4 players that could equate that while getting better results from players 5-7/8. . Maybe no 1st team but possibly two AL-Americans etc that balances out not having a 1st teamer. .

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can’t disagree with anything you’ve said here. :) I’m hoping sooner than later.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At UT Evina was playing out of position. She is not a point guard and is probably our 4th option to handle the point so the TO's shouldn't be an issue. I imagine her shooting percentage will be better as she will not be creating her own shot off the bounce and will have a better shot selection. I expect that, if healthy, we will see at least an all BE candidate in Evina.

Let’s hope that the coaching from a different source and the months of refining her shot during her period of ineligibility will pay off. I’d hold off on judging her by what she did 18 months ago. Let’s see how and if her game has evolved come November. She may have realized her weakness in that area, and improved it.

Reaction Score
Where did they come from this past year other than Liv? The 2nd leading rebounder was Walker.

There is no way the combination of Evina, Anna, and Paige can't at least equate last year Meg Walker, Anna, and Dangerfield?

Secondly, with a lineup like this you're going to try to play fast pace in which you force the opposing bigs other than Liv's defender to defend on the perimeter along with the smaller lineup may press a lot more thus getting more steals.

You don't have to win the rebounds in order to beat the elite teams if you could either shoot terrific or get a lot of steals or highly disrupt the offense by aggressively defending the guards that get the ball to the bigs in good positions. Or ofc force the team to play small then you might even win the rebounds game.

But the 1st priority of hoop is to score more points than the other team. Not get more rebounds. How many teams are out there that have such quality bigs that they could pound and beat a terrific small lineup? Last year there were 3 or maybe 4.

1st team A/A Meg Walker
Honorable Mention Olivia

This upcoming year they have 4 players that could equate that while getting better results from players 5-7/8. . Maybe no 1st team but possibly two AL-Americans etc that balances out not having a 1st teamer. .
Okey Dokey

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Looking at who Geno has coming back this year and who he has coming in, I believe that the best option at PG is Paige. With that being said here is who I think will be the starting five.

Paige
CW
Anna
EW
Liv

If EW is not ready to play, then it will be AG.

Geno will most likely experiment more this year than he has over the last few years because of the players that he has coming in next season. I'm currently watching the 2008-09 season and he did more early substituting with the players then he has over the years. I also believe that it was the last year that he had a starting Freshman (Caroline Doty) at the beginning of a season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Assuming the season starts on time and that Evina is healthy.
C-ONO
PF-Edwards
SF-AM
SG-CW
PG- Evina
Paige will sub for position 1-3 and Aubrey will sub for 3-5. That is it, a 7 woman rotation unless.....UCONN signs a transfer with immediate eligibility that can crack that rotation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Assuming the season starts on time and that Evina is healthy.
C-ONO
PF-Edwards
SF-AM
SG-CW
PG- Evina
Paige will sub for position 1-3 and Aubrey will sub for 3-5. That is it, a 7 man rotation unless.....UCONN signs a transfer with immediate eligibility that can crack that rotation.
Thanks for giving ONO a little help inside. Without it she’s going to feel like General Custer in there.

Reaction Score
Thanks for giving ONO a little help inside. Without it she’s going to feel like General Custer in there.

I am not arguing with this. I am not arguing with this. Just want to add some lighthearted :) replies:

Or we could make the opposition feel like General Custer's army under bombardment from all the three point arrows whizzing into their surrounded camp.

Or . . . We could "entrap" Custer's slow-stuck-in-the-mud army and "strip" them bone-dry like a thousand flesh-eating fire ants prepared to devour their prey.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Her last season with Tennessee she had an EFG% of 56.3%. Players that take a lot of 3's their FG% won't be as high. The stat to look at is EFG%. Her last season - she had a decent assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.44 considering her team didn't have much of an offense.
Evina's EFG% in 2018-19 season was 46.7%. I may have the calulations wrong. Check them.
166 total FGM minus 38 3PT FGM = 128 2PT FG
38 3PT FG times 3 divided by 2 = 57 E 2PT FG
128 2PT FG plus 57 E 2PT FG = 185 total EFG
185 EFG divided by 396 total FGA = 46.7% EFG%
Evina's A/TO ratio in 2018-19 was 1.61 (163 A / 101 TO = 1.61 A/TO ratio
In 2017-18 her EFG% was 44% and her A/TO ratio was 1.18.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did you not read the thread title? Do it again?
Strangely enough, I can indeed read. As a retired college Professor, I also know something about what it takes to run a successful university. You can fantasize all you want about a starting lineup for next season; the odds of them actually playing range somewhere between incredibly low and nonexistent. (IMO). Taking my cue from the “Good Wife” judge.

Reaction Score
Evina's EFG% in 2018-19 season was 46.7%. I may have the calulations wrong. Check them.
A quicker and easier calculation: ( Points - Free throws) / Field goal attempts = Points per attempt which is 2X effective shooting percentage.
BTW KML was 1.21 and KLS 1.20 ( 60% ) but Pheesa was 1.26

Reaction Score

You are right. My mistake on efg% - she had 46.7%. Below is a link for an EFG% calculator. I added the total of fg's made which was 166 then incorrectly added 38 3pt fgs made. I needed to deduct the 38 from the 166.. Ooopps!

And you're right I messed up her A/T ratio too. I used the wrong column on Tennessee's site - I accidentally used the "total rebounds number" instead of the total turnover number. OOOOOPs again!

Thank you for picking that up.

Overall the poster Dpup was right. Evina needs to improve. Shooting 41.9% from 2 is no good. And she shot 38% from 3. Hopefully it means she can stick the shot this year-- take more open 3's and take less contested 2's.

Reaction Score
Strangely enough, I can indeed read. As a retired college Professor, I also know something about what it takes to run a successful university. You can fantasize all you want about a starting lineup for next season; the odds of them actually playing range somewhere between incredibly low and nonexistent. (IMO). Taking my cue from the “Good Wife” judge.
Never questioned your ability.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

1st team A/A Meg Walker
Honorable Mention Olivia

That's not how it work. Among the UCONN starters last year only 1 (ONO) shot more than 50%. UCONN as a team shot 47.9 % and held their opponents to 33.1 percent shooting. When both UCONN and the opponent are shooting less than 50% that means there is tons of rebounds available. Getting more rebounds than you opponent gets you more shot attempts which gets you more points. Winning the rebounding margin doesn't guarantee that you win the game but it would be foolish to think UCONN can get out rebounded and still have a successful season. You can put a small tam out there if you want but as Pat Reiley would tell you: "No rebounds, No rings"
Christyn Williams was not named Honorable mention AA last year. As I have pointed out before, to pencil in two UCONN players as AA in 2020 is dubious. Dubious specifically because of the players returning to play college basketball in 2020 see reference below. BTW WCBB returns 5 of the top 10 rebounders in 2020.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yes.
Another question is which of these players have the best chance to successfully guard Boston: Olivia, Aubrey, or Aaliyah? Olivia did a decent job last year before fouling out. Aubrey is to slight of build to manage Boston. I think Aaliyah has the best body type and discipline to successfully guard Boston. I remember Geno commenting on her ability to provide defense in the post.

Reaction Score
That's not how it work. Among the UCONN starters last year only 1 (ONO) shot more than 50%. UCONN as a team shot 47.9 % and held their opponents to 33.1 percent shooting. When both UCONN and the opponent are shooting less than 50% that means there is tons of rebounds available. Getting more rebounds than you opponent gets you more shot attempts which gets you more points. Winning the rebounding margin doesn't guarantee that you win the game but it would be foolish to think UCONN can get out rebounded and still have a successful season. You can put a small tam out there if you want but as Pat Reiley would tell you: "No rebounds, No rings"
Christyn Williams was not named Honorable mention AA last year. As I have pointed out before, to pencil in two UCONN players as AA in 2020 is dubious. Dubious specifically because of the players returning to play college basketball in 2020 see reference below. BTW WCBB returns 5 of the top 10 rebounders in 2020.

Thanks for the post. I enjoy the discussion.

Your entire tone on 1st paragraph I disagree with which is fine- I enjoy. As far as fg% teams that shoot a lot of 3's still might be more efficient than than a teams that shoot mostly 2's and at 50+%. For example, Ray Allen never shot above 50% in the NBA and he is regarded as one the greatest shooters in NBA history. He's in the HOF because of his 3pt shot. So the FG% number you point out imo need context. Diana Taurasi never shot above 50% in her 4 years at UCONN. so big deal UCONN doesn't shoot above 50%.

Secondly, sure getting more rebounds helps, but so does better offensive execution. In a perfect world we would love both - but suppose we don't have both? You go with your bets option. So, in fact you have made comments on here that you felt Edwards is too young. I agreed with that. If I agreed she is too young and I fear she'll get eaten up, during preseason I can't possibly say to start her when as a counter I have another option to win by playing "better players" that will execute offensively much better. BTW, what is your prediction on Edwards? Unless you are confident in her-- and maybe she will be fine as a pf-- then great. But by just our preseason prognostications, I am not confident in her. And I agreed with her you- she is too young(you said the before on older posts on other threads, right?) - so in that case you should look to play the better player. More than likely the elite team is going to take you down if she can't hold up. You have a better chance beating the elite teams with offensive execution in this case, and run and trap more.

As far as the bold, I don't understand. Are you saying that there is only one successful season and that is winning a championship? Secondly, can't I counter your point by saying "it would be foolish to think that if UCONN gets out-executed offensively that UCONN could still have a successful season . . . " Though I think I disagree with how you define a successful season.

As far as what Pat Riley said -- sure that is 90's basketball. Pat Summit said similar thing,. The beauty is Diana Taurasi proved that wrong. UCONN got wiped out on the glass - completely wiped out in either 2003 or 2004 - not just beaten but wiped out and still beat Tennessee. And UCONN can possibly outrebound teams or keep it close by forcing teams to play their style. Do you think Golden State plays the same way as Riley's Knicks?

Anyhow, below is a link regarding rebounding from several years ago -- oops can't link it here. In addition if we look at the NBA -- Toronto won the championship and had the 17th best rebounding in NBA. Golden State -- who regularly plays small ball had the 11th. And if we look at the WNBA - Washington Mystics won. They were 10th in a 12 team league in rebounding-- the had best reg season record and won it all per the 2nd link showing they were that at the bottom tier of rebounding. Not sure about the other link either bt anyone can research and see Wash was 10th.

***********If Edwards can be vs elite teams a good rebounder as a frosh and be decent enough on offense (and ofc on-the ball-defend) then hell yeah I'm with you! Play her a lot- start her etc. Can you assure me though that she is? So I'm skeptical what she brings which is why I put her as a backup 4/5 -- and then see how she looks. But if she can help us win the battle of the boards then I'm with ya with her. We both have concerns though about her youth, right? How good do you think she ultimately will be this upcoming year? I'm skeptical of what she can produce other than backup vs the elite teams.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks for the post. I enjoy the discussion.

Your entire tone on 1st paragraph I disagree with which is fine- I enjoy. As far as fg% teams that shoot a lot of 3's still might be more efficient than than a teams that shoot mostly 2's and at 50+%. For example, Ray Allen never shot above 50% in the NBA and he is regarded as one the greatest shooters in NBA history. He's in the HOF because of his 3pt shot. So the FG% number you point out imo need context. Diana Taurasi never shot above 50% in her 4 years at UCONN. so big deal UCONN doesn't shoot above 50%.

Secondly, sure getting more rebounds helps, but so does better offensive execution. In a perfect world we would love both - but suppose we don't have both? You go with your bets option. So, in fact you have made comments on here that you felt Edwards is too young. I agreed with that. If I agreed she is too young and I fear she'll get eaten up, during preseason I can't possibly say to start her when as a counter I have another option to win by playing "better players" that will execute offensively much better. BTW, what is your prediction on Edwards? Unless you are confident in her-- and maybe she will be fine as a pf-- then great. But by just our preseason prognostications, I am not confident in her. And I agreed with her you- she is too young(you said the before on older posts on other threads, right?) - so in that case you should look to play the better player. More than likely the elite team is going to take you down if she can't hold up. You have a better chance beating the elite teams with offensive execution in this case, and run and trap more.

As far as the bold, I don't understand. Are you saying that there is only one successful season and that is winning a championship? Secondly, can't I counter your point by saying "it would be foolish to think that if UCONN gets out-executed offensively that UCONN could still have a successful season . . . " Though I think I disagree with how you define a successful season.

As far as what Pat Riley said -- sure that is 90's basketball. Pat Summit said similar thing,. The beauty is Diana Taurasi proved that wrong. UCONN got wiped out on the glass - completely wiped out in either 2003 or 2004 - not just beaten but wiped out and still beat Tennessee. And UCONN can possibly outrebound teams or keep it close by forcing teams to play their style. Do you think Golden State plays the same way as Riley's Knicks?

Anyhow, below is a link regarding rebounding from several years ago -- oops can't link it here. In addition if we look at the NBA -- Toronto won the championship and had the 17th best rebounding in NBA. Golden State -- who regularly plays small ball had the 11th. And if we look at the WNBA - Washington Mystics won. They were 10th in a 12 team league in rebounding-- the had best reg season record and won it all per the 2nd link showing they were that at the bottom tier of rebounding. Not sure about the other link either bt anyone can research and see Wash was 10th.

***********If Edwards can be vs elite teams a good rebounder as a frosh and be decent enough on offense (and ofc on-the ball-defend) then hell yeah I'm with you! Play her a lot- start her etc. Can you assure me though that she is? So I'm skeptical what she brings which is why I put her as a backup 4/5 -- and then see how she looks. But if she can help us win the battle of the boards then I'm with ya with her. We both have concerns though about her youth, right? How good do you think she ultimately will be this upcoming year? I'm skeptical of what she can produce other than backup vs the elite teams.
I don't recall saying Edwards is too young as I'm never hung up on age just ability.
What I have said is Edwards is a wing forward & much like Megan Walker, and Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams before that Edwards will be playing in the post at UCONN likely as the starting PF & the primary backup to Liv. The other post option for far starting is Aubrey who is an inch or two shorter and not a sturdy built. No UCONN freshman, not Stewie, not Samarie Walker, not Dolson was asked to be both a starting post player and the backup center. Add to that Edwards will be playing the position that has produced an AA for 6- of last 7 years. Edwards is capable and will contribute-just give her some time.
Better offensive execution and rebounding are not mutually exclusive so I'll entirely reject the notion that I must choose between those two things. Toronto won the Championship because they have the best two way player in the NBA- Kawhi rebounds plenty trust me. Your name dropping has reached an all time high (or is it low). DT and Ray Allen- Really? DT did not prove Pat Riley wrong. The fact that even the great DT never shot over 50% is more proof of the need for good rebounders & BTW Diana Taurasi's teams had some of the best rebounders in UCONN history.
Of course GS doesn't play the same way as Riley's Knicks & Riley's Lakers didn't' play the same as Riley's Knicks or Heat teams. But since Riley didn't win any championships with the Knicks he probably said that when he was with the Lakers. Your Ray Allen name drop escapes me, as related to this current team. Do you even remotely envision that this team has ANYONE that can stroke it like Jesus Shuttlesworth?
Yes a championship is my expectation. Geno and the previous UCONN teams have spoiled me. It would be disrespectful of this UCONN team to expect less. It is kind of the way I treat my bonus. I go into every year expecting to get one. I"m disappointed when I don't but I don't lower my expectations for next year. Have you?

Reaction Score
I don't recall saying Edwards is too young as I'm never hung up on age just ability.
What I have said is Edwards is a wing forward & much like Megan Walker, and Napheesa Collier and Gabby Williams before that Edwards will be playing in the post at UCONN likely as the starting PF & the primary backup to Liv. The other post option for far starting is Aubrey who is an inch or two shorter and not a sturdy built. No UCONN freshman, not Stewie, not Samarie Walker, not Dolson was asked to be both a starting post player and the backup center. Add to that Edwards will be playing the position that has produced an AA for 6- of last 7 years. Edwards is capable and will contribute-just give her some time.
Better offensive execution and rebounding are not mutually exclusive so I'll entirely reject the notion that I must choose between those two things. Toronto won the Championship because they have the best two way player in the NBA- Kawhi rebounds plenty trust me. Your name dropping has reached an all time high (or is it low). DT and Ray Allen- Really? DT did not prove Pat Riley wrong. The fact that even the great DT never shot over 50% is more proof of the need for good rebounders & BTW Diana Taurasi's teams had some of the best rebounders in UCONN history.
Of course GS doesn't play the same way as Riley's Knicks & Riley's Lakers didn't' play the same as Riley's Knicks or Heat teams. But since Riley didn't win any championships with the Knicks he probably said that when he was with the Lakers. Your Ray Allen name drop escapes me, as related to this current team. Do you even remotely envision that this team has ANYONE that can stroke it like Jesus Shuttlesworth?
Yes a championship is my expectation. Geno and the previous UCONN teams have spoiled me. It would be disrespectful of this UCONN team to expect less. It is kind of the way I treat my bonus. I go into every year expecting to get one. I"m disappointed when I don't but I don't lower my expectations for next year. Have you?

Well I got to run now but I disagree with everything you've said - how you say it - how you think the game - how you present it the way you use data and then way you classify what I said as "name dropping." None of it is true. :) I think you're living in old school thought. I use Ray Allen and DT because they prove your point on fg% is out of touch and too old school.

I just want to add "your expectation" equals an unsuccesfull season if they go 36-1 and lose in final four? Iff so - I cal that a spoiled fan if you only look as a season as success as winning a title.

And if you think Edwards is going to be an impact SF at UCONN then we'll see. I think no way she is that. And are you trying to say Edwards will not at all play pf and center this year? I didn't quite understand.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well I got to run now but I disagree with everything you've said - how you say it - how you think the game - how you present it the way you use data and then way you classify what I said as "name dropping." None of it is true. :) I think you're living in old school thought. I use Ray Allen and DT because they prove your point on fg% is out of touch and too old school.

I just want to add "your expectation" equals an unsuccesfull season if they go 36-1 and lose in final four? Iff so - I cal that a spoiled fan if you only look as a season as success as winning a title.

And if you think Edwards is going to be an impact SF at UCONN then we'll see. I think no way she is that. And are you trying to say Edwards will not at all play pf and center this year? I didn't quite understand.
You don’t have to bother calling me spoiled. I am & already told you I was. I appreciate the old school compliment though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom