Lets Compare Recruits & Transfers vs. Opponents this year | The Boneyard

Lets Compare Recruits & Transfers vs. Opponents this year

Reaction Score
Ok, let's have a little fun before the season starts. The argument for years has been if Edsall found diamonds in the rough, which given how much better our recruiting rankings once were, explains why we beat teams like Buffalo but lost to WVU's usually etc. I took the rankings for 2023 recruits (granted they are freshmen but there's bound to be good ones every program uses immediately) and 2024 immediate impact transfer portal players and compared them to opponents we will face this year. At first glance, if Mora filled the right areas in need AND AND AND AND we don't continue the major preseason injuries/first game in curse... things could be promising. :)

DateOpponentLocation2024 Transfer Portal RankingUConn (74) transfers compared to opponent2023 Recruiting RankingUConn (124) recruiting compared to opponent
Aug. 31Maryland Terrapinsat Maryland Terrapins87Better36Worse
Sep. 7Merrimack WarriorsRentschler Field East HartfordNot listed (FCS team)N/ANot applicableN/A
Sep. 14Duke Blue Devilsat Duke Blue Devils42Worse56Worse
Sep. 21Florida Atlantic OwlsRentschler Field East Hartford72Worse82Worse
Sep. 28Buffalo BullsRentschler Field East Hartford84Better84Worse
Oct. 5Temple OwlsRentschler Field East Hartford91Better85Worse
Oct. 12OFF
Oct. 19Wake Forest Demon DeaconsRentschler Field East Hartford113Better54Worse
Oct. 26Rice OwlsRentschler Field East Hartford109Better86Worse
Nov. 1Georgia State PanthersRentschler Field East Hartford90Better116Worse
Nov. 9UAB Blazersat UAB Blazers94Better92Worse
Nov. 16OFF
Nov. 23Syracuse Orangeat Syracuse Orange25Worse88Worse
Nov. 30UMass Minutemenat UMass Minutemen79Better127Better

Reaction Score
Ok, let's have a little fun before the season starts. The argument for years has been if Edsall found diamonds in the rough, which given how much better our recruiting rankings once were, explains why we beat teams like Buffalo but lost to WVU's usually etc. I took the rankings for 2023 recruits (granted they are freshmen but there's bound to be good ones every program uses immediately) and 2024 immediate impact transfer portal players and compared them to opponents we will face this year. At first glance, if Mora filled the right areas in need AND AND AND AND we don't continue the major preseason injuries/first game in curse... things could be promising. :)

DateOpponentLocation2024 Transfer Portal RankingUConn (74) transfers compared to opponent2023 Recruiting RankingUConn (124) recruiting compared to opponent
Sep. 7Merrimack WarriorsRentschler Field East HartfordNot listed (FCS team)N/ANot applicableN/A
Oct. 12OFF
Nov. 16OFF
I appreciate what you did, but in the portal era, I think is is hard to compare teams, especially if you look at schools below the top 50. For example, Temple had 31 HS recruits, 11 inbound college transfers, and 29 outbound transfers in 2023 and 31 outgoing transfers, 17 inbound college transfers, and 26 HS recruits in 2024. So in 2023/2024, there were 57 HS recruits, 28 inbound college transfers, and 50 outbound college transfers. And, you have to add in kids that graduated as well. That is a lot of roster movement to analyze and rate.

Also, in 2023, UConn only had 13 HS recruits which means they were going to be ranked low.

Reaction Score

Oct. 12OFF
Nov. 16OFF
Just compare UConn to itself in the 3 prior years, the differences in recruiting are remarkable, thanks to the portal and what’s been available in the portal.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the effort here. Good work. Not sure how useful portal rankings are but it's interesting to see it the way you organized it.

With nothing but the eye test (and looking up how good teams were last year), I would categorize our schedule like this:

1. MUST WINS (5): Merrimack, Buffalo, Temple, Rice, UMass. These are teams we should definitely beat, because they're not good. It would be a giant disappointment if we don't beat all of these teams.

2. EXPECTED WINS (2): FAU, UAB. These are teams we can beat if we are much improved from last year, which I believe we are. It would be disappointing to lose these, but not embarrassingly so, like the MUST WINS.

3. LEGITIMATE SHOT WINS (2): Wake, Ga State. I think we can beat these two teams, but I'm not expecting it.

4. LONGSHOT (3): Maryland, Duke, Syracuse. These are Ls. None of these are like Tennessee last year or Michigan the year before, so I don't quite give these a zero chance. If we have a magical season, and they have bad games, maybe, just maybe we can pick one of these off, but it's a fool's bet.

So that gives 7 wins to be a successful season IMO. Anything less is a disappointment. Under 5 is a giant disappointment.

Over 7 would be a giant success.

Over 9 means we're running on pixie dust.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the effort here. Good work. Not sure how useful portal rankings are but it's interesting to see it the way you organized it.

With nothing but the eye test (and looking up how good teams were last year), I would categorize our schedule like this:

1. MUST WINS (5): Merrimack, Buffalo, Temple, Rice, UMass. These are teams we should definitely beat, because they're not good. It would be a giant disappointment if we don't beat all of these teams.

2. EXPECTED WINS (2): FAU, UAB. These are teams we can beat if we are much improved from last year, which I believe we are. It would be disappointing to lose these, but not embarrassingly so, like the MUST WINS.

3. LEGITIMATE SHOT WINS (2): Wake, Ga State. I think we can beat these two teams, but I'm not expecting it.

4. LONGSHOT (3): Maryland, Duke, Syracuse. These are Ls. None of these are like Tennessee last year or Michigan the year before, so I don't quite give these a zero chance. If we have a magical season, and they have bad games, maybe, just maybe we can pick one of these off, but it's a fool's bet.

So that gives 7 wins to be a successful season IMO. Anything less is a disappointment. Under 5 is a giant disappointment.

Over 7 would be a giant success.

Over 9 means we're running on pixie dust.
We should win at least 8, winning 9 is possible.

Reaction Score
And that would most likely without being in a conference not even get us a bowl game.
:(
They’re not playing for a bowl game, they’re playing for respect, and quite frankly I’d rather have the respect than the bowl game.

Reaction Score
They’re not playing for a bowl game, they’re playing for respect, and quite frankly I’d rather have the respect than the bowl game.
No attack personally but myself and Jim Mora Jr have to disagree. He has said time and again without a conference recruiting is an up hill battle. Players want to have the opportunity to go to a bowl or conference championship.

As a season ticket holder I will not see a lot of respect around me in the stands once again this year as in multiple past years with a so so home schedule. With 133 D1 teams and 82 making bowl games the other 51 do not garner much respect. Bowl teams do have a level of respect others are not afforded. Simple math / simple fact.
Hope you remain a fan as I have for decades. But ........................ No respect shown to those not playing games into December or the new year. Just a sad fact for UCONN football fans.

Reaction Score
And that would most likely without being in a conference not even get us a bowl game.:(
No attack personally but myself and Jim Mora Jr have to disagree. He has said time and again without a conference recruiting is an up hill battle. Players want to have the opportunity to go to a bowl or conference championship.

As a season ticket holder I will not see a lot of respect around me in the stands once again this year as in multiple past years with a so so home schedule. With 133 D1 teams and 82 making bowl games the other 51 do not garner much respect. Bowl teams do have a level of respect others are not afforded. Simple math / simple fact.
Hope you remain a fan as I have for decades. But ........................ No respect shown to those not playing games into December or the new year. Just a sad fact for UCONN football fans.
You do realize we went to a bowl game two years ago as an Independent?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

no attack personally, but his name isn’t Jim Mora Jr. He isn’t a junior.

Reaction Score

If they get the respect during the season, and don’t get pushed around, the bowl games will come. That was my whole point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom