Lets come at this from a different direction | The Boneyard

Lets come at this from a different direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Rightfully or wrongfully, there has been a lot of PP bashing calling for his firing.

Does anyone have a positive reason for keeping PP?

Reaction Score
Like most Boneyarders, I think Coach P has been a disaster. BUT I'm trying to be positive after last night. It seemed to me that the team began to gel and the talent began to improve. This is the 1st time I've seen anything like this since RE left. So IMO if and only if we win seven of our last nine, should Coach P be kept.

Somewhat along the same line, if we lay an egg at Buffalo, then immediate action needs to be taken - at least IMO.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Like most Boneyarders, I think Coach P has been a disaster. BUT I'm trying to be positive after last night. It seemed to me that the team began to gel and the talent began to improve. This is the 1st time I've seen anything like this since RE left. So IMO if and only if we win seven of our last nine, should Coach P be kept.

Somewhat along the same line, if we lay an egg at Buffalo, then immediate action needs to be taken - at least IMO.

Before the season started, I said that 7-5 would keep Pasqualoni employed here. Of course, I couldn't have imagined that one of the five losses would be to Towson. I think that it might even be difficult for him to stay with 7-5, but certainly winning 7 out of 9 down the stretch would make a good case to Warde for him to stay. Also, that would mean that we are at worst 6-2 in conference or perhaps even 7-1 (dear God, that would mean a loss to Buffalo!). 6-2 in conference normally keeps a coach...

Reaction Score
Win 7 of our final 9 and it would suggest turning the corner and be a very tough call for Warde. Lose to Buffalo and it means immediate dismissal. I think PP would be good as an assistant somewhere but we need the next Calhoun and so things must change.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Win 7 of our final 9 and it would suggest turning the corner and be a very tough call for Warde. Lose to Buffalo and it means immediate dismissal. I think PP would be good as an assistant somewhere but we need the next Calhoun and so things must change.

Good point. If he loses to Buffalo, he may not get the chance to try to go 7-1 down the stretch...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It would be mildly awkward to fire him immediately following a improved effort versus a "ranked" team and/or a presumed road win. The smart move would be to fire him today, regardless. Given his now 27 game record of some of the worst coached FB in recent memory, I find it difficult to believe whatever positive changes yesterday were because of him.

Win at Buffalo and he's safe at least until loss number 7, lose and there is no reason to let him back on the bus. We'll have a new coach next year, hopefully the program can overcome the damage from the expiring PP era.

Reaction Score
We've seen flashes of competence. Then again we also saw our coach getting tangled up with the SJ during a TD run and getting flagged for 15.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing. We had a competent OL coach here. P comes in and hands the offense and offensive line to a guy whose resume as an OC is a frigging joke, the offensive line has returned to being as bad as it was pre Foley. If P was a competent HC, he would have fired Deleone. They are boys, so he gets to stay on so in essence, P has gone all in with Deleone. AT the very least P should have returned OL duties to Foley, the fact he hasn't tells me has no shot at reaching competency in his job. He needs to go.

Reaction Score
Buffalo gave up 70 pts to Baylor two weeks ago. Even if we win but don't cross the 21 pt plateau I'd boot him.

Reaction Score
As one of the few who thought he deserved a chance and three years. NO. Gdl should be fired now !

I do wish to keep him on the staff in other regards because i think parents like hin and he is a good recruiter but i dobt see that happening

Reaction Score
I'm positive PP was a poor hire for UConn. And I'm positive he has done worse than ever imagined.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Nope. I'd still fire him right now. Too much inconsistency for my liking. Plus, firing him completely guarantees that GDL is removed from OL duties and we can get back to strong OL play with a strong running game. I'd fire him and GDL right now and begin rebuilding for the future today.

Reaction Score
If he goes to a bowl this year he stays on. Reason being that marks improvement. I think next year the mark would be to go to a bowl and... make it to the conference championship game. Anything less and it's time to make a change but as far as this year goes so far, each week has shown steady improvement, so you have to let him play it out till the team is mathematically out of contention for a bowl bid. He is also a good recruiter and has managed to get more quality in-state kids to commit than Edsall ever did. He's improved recruiting from Jersey and seems to be making inroads in TX & FLA. GDL, for some unknown reason, seems to be liked by recruits so if he can build some powerhouse offensive line then he deserves credit for it but..... if the O-line continues to be the Achilles heel of this program he needs to go.

I know a lot of you guys don't want to hear that but you got to let things play out this season. And..... be careful what you wish for guys. The next one in Is NOT going to be a Chip Kelley or Urban Meyer and will have to establish a recruiting pipeline. Hopefully it will be better than Edsall's but recruiting for this team at this time is going to be a real challenge for anyone coming in. Don't expect miracles.

Reaction Score
What color is the sky in your world?

If he goes to a bowl this year he stays on. Reason being that marks improvement. I think next year the mark would be to go to a bowl and... make it to the conference championship game. Anything less and it's time to make a change but as far as this year goes so far, each week has shown steady improvement, so you have to let him play it out till the team is mathematically out of contention for a bowl bid. He is also a good recruiter and has managed to get more quality in-state kids to commit than Edsall ever did. GDL, for some unknown reason, seems to be liked by recruits so if he can build some powerhouse offensive line then he deserves credit for it but..... if the O-line continues to be the Achilles heel of this program he needs to go.

I know a lot of you guys don't want to hear that but you got to let things play out this season. And..... be careful what you wish for guys. The next one in Is NOT going to be a Chip Kelley or Urban Meyer and will have to establish a recruiting pipeline. Hopefully it will be better than Edsall's but recruiting for this team at this time is going to be a real challenge for anyone coming in. Don't expect miracles.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am convinced that P's fate has been sealed since the Towson game. A few miracles are necessary to salvage his job here but wins alone (and this would eat up a couple of those miracles) are not his only shortcomings.

There have been too many instances where an inspired effort was followed by a severe lapse. Where we've looked lost or totally unprepared when the moment was there to demonstrate we were at a higher level. Basically looking poorly coached all too often and even if this team were able to win seven or eight games from here on out, the coaching they've received for the past few years doesn't seem conducive for that type of sustained effort. Everything is too hit or miss here. I can point to a couple of season ending losses to Cincinnati (which followed surprising and inspiring wins that put us back in bowl contention) where we really didn't start playing until the game was already well past kickoff. The lack of preparation, the occasional lack of a sense of urgency, the lack of understanding of the situation, especially in critical situations is too endemic to this program at the moment and the blame rests solely on the shoulders of the man in charge.

P would have to immediately become something different than what he has been for his entire time here in order for us to do what would be necessary fr him to keep his job. I do not see how that can happen.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Only way I can see a case for keeping PP is if the team improves with ZERO drops in performance from here on out. That means the offense scores more than 25 points per game, defense returns to its top 15 status, and NO COACHING BRAINFARTS. If they do that they could be able to win 7 plus a bowl game. If they cannot maintain consistency and get better every week, in all phases of the game, the team might be better than it was in the first 2 games but it will not reach that benchmark, which is still the standard on which PP's fate will be decided.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
F#@K NO! I predict PP & Co. will be gone, preferably by Jan 1st 2014.
I'm not looking for miracles of Guarantee's just something not 123d worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom