let's build an all-time non-HoH Wall team | The Boneyard

let's build an all-time non-HoH Wall team

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
maybe this has been done before, but let's do it again!

It's simple enough: build a squad of Uconn alumnae who didn't make the Huskies of Honor Wall. That means you can't have: Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Kara, Nykesha Sales, Shea, Svet, Sue Bird, Swin, Diana, Rene, Tina, Maya, Bria, Stef, KML, Stewie, Moriah, or Morgan.

So far, I can think of 12 or 13. The starters:

Kelly Faris- could play Positions 1-4, tremendous defensive player, fan favorite. It's my squad and I want Kelly!

Asjha Jones- I can haz TASS Force??? Yes! She would also become an Olympian, btw.

Tamika Williams- I can haz TASS, plus 70% FG, plus a real leader on the team? Wow, I'm spoiled.

Maria Conlon- not a lot of options available at PG, as the HoH Wall has so many great ones. I'll take the starting PG on two NC-winning teams.

Jamelle Elliott- need stats? Jamellle has you covered! It's also like she's a proverbial coach on the team out there...

And now some bench kids:

Tiff Hayes- four-time Final Four starter, tough as nails, made of rubber.

Kalana Greene- with all this glue on the team (KG, Kelly, Jamelle), this squad will be as fused as can be.

Mel Thomas- glue PLUS nails could only make my squad better

Carla Beruuuuuuuuuuube- no explanation needed, right?

Kiah Stokes- definitely no explanation needed. Great, great defender, first-round WNBA draft pick.

Ann Strother- she helped fill the TASS void to help Diana win two more NCs. I want her on this squad.

Stacy Hansmeyer- this team could use an enforcer, and I want Bam Bam.

Charde Houston- uber-talented, good enough to have a successful WNBA career as well.

If you look at the Huskies of Honor wall, you have a dazzling array of history, a continuum of greatness, the players who made Uconn basketball what it is on the women's side. If you're left with everyone else? Well, Uconn WBB doesn't have 11 NCs without the all-timers, but this team could easily be NC-caliber in its own right.

Thoughts?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Rita Williams is my starting PG I think.
No love for Barb Turner? And maybe we could use Willnett Crockett as a secret reserve for the post season!
And I think there are a few from the early years - Lishness, Lamb, Brumbaugh, Webber, Walsh, Davis, Duran

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO - starters of

Rita Williams, Hayes, Strother, Jones, and Tamika Raymond.

Reserves of Faris, Ashley Battle, Greene, Elliot, Houston, Berube, Barb Turner and Stokes.

It's a hard list to make - if you make the list based ONLY on the college stats, then players like Stokes might not even be on the list of the 8 reserves. But we've seen what she can do when unleashed in the WNBA. I'd have a hard time paring the list down to 10 that's for sure.

I get your point on Conlon, but I'd take Rita Williams over her easily - Maria was awesome in her time. But aside from being Dee's teammate, winning 3 NC's, and having a really good assist/turnover ratio, it's not like her individual stats stand out.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Rita Williams is my starting PG I think.
No love for Barb Turner? And maybe we could use Willnett Crockett as a secret reserve for the post season!
And I think there are a few from the early years - Lishness, Lamb, Brumbaugh, Webber, Walsh, Davis, Duran
Also Pattyson.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
ericsandiego - very well thought out, can`t find much to disagree with there.

One name that isn`t being mentioned though is Jessica Moore. Three national titles, 1223 points, and went for 14 and 9 in 2004 championship game with a torn ACL. Not sure who I would drop from the list but she deserves to be on it.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Good off season topic but before I can get a team I have to wonder where is Ketia Swanier?

She was a heck of a PG and saved us in the DePaul game which is one of my favorite all time. It was thrilling to be in the stands for that game :)

Reaction Score
IMHO - starters of

Rita Williams, Hayes, Strother, Jones, and Tamika Raymond.

Reserves of Faris, Ashley Battle, Greene, Elliot, Houston, Berube, Barb Turner and Stokes.

It's a hard list to make - if you make the list based ONLY on the college stats, then players like Stokes might not even be on the list of the 8 reserves. But we've seen what she can do when unleashed in the WNBA. I'd have a hard time paring the list down to 10 that's for sure.

I get your point on Conlon, but I'd take Rita Williams over her easily - Maria was awesome in her time. But aside from being Dee's teammate, winning 3 NC's, and having a really good assist/turnover ratio, it's not like her individual stats stand out.
So agree on Maria Conlon. A nice player but star?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
maybe this has been done before, but let's do it again!

It's simple enough: build a squad of Uconn alumnae who didn't make the Huskies of Honor Wall. That means you can't have: Bascom, Lobo, Rizzotti, Kara, Nykesha Sales, Shea, Svet, Sue Bird, Swin, Diana, Rene, Tina, Maya, Bria, Stef, KML, Stewie, Moriah, or Morgan.

So far, I can think of 12 or 13. The starters:

Kelly Faris- could play Positions 1-4, tremendous defensive player, fan favorite. It's my squad and I want Kelly!

Asjha Jones- I can haz TASS Force??? Yes! She would also become an Olympian, btw.

Tamika Williams- I can haz TASS, plus 70% FG, plus a real leader on the team? Wow, I'm spoiled.

Maria Conlon- not a lot of options available at PG, as the HoH Wall has so many great ones. I'll take the starting PG on two NC-winning teams.

Jamelle Elliott- need stats? Jamellle has you covered! It's also like she's a proverbial coach on the team out there...

And now some bench kids:

Tiff Hayes- four-time Final Four starter, tough as nails, made of rubber.

Kalana Greene- with all this glue on the team (KG, Kelly, Jamelle), this squad will be as fused as can be.

Mel Thomas- glue PLUS nails could only make my squad better

Carla Beruuuuuuuuuuube- no explanation needed, right?

Kiah Stokes- definitely no explanation needed. Great, great defender, first-round WNBA draft pick.

Ann Strother- she helped fill the TASS void to help Diana win two more NCs. I want her on this squad.

Stacy Hansmeyer- this team could use an enforcer, and I want Bam Bam.

Charde Houston- uber-talented, good enough to have a successful WNBA career as well.

If you look at the Huskies of Honor wall, you have a dazzling array of history, a continuum of greatness, the players who made Uconn basketball what it is on the women's side. If you're left with everyone else? Well, Uconn WBB doesn't have 11 NCs without the all-timers, but this team could easily be NC-caliber in its own right.

Thoughts?
"
let's build an all-time non-HoH Wall team"

Yes, but who's going to pay for it? [Duke?]

Reaction Score
I disagree on Charde Houston - she massively underachieved while at UConn, never really buying into the system. I was never happier to see a player graduate than when she left, she frustrated me that much.
On the other hand, I think a borderline nominee might be Kelly Schumacher - her stats may not get her on this wall, but she was a favorite of mine.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Maria and Ashley (battle) play tremendously well together I'd take both of them for sure plus add me a little barb turner and you have the start of one gritty team!

Reaction Score
If we are constructing a 12 person team where we would want people who can bring something unique and cover as many needs as possible, I am certainly putting Lorin Dixon on my team.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I disagree on Charde Houston - she massively underachieved while at UConn, never really buying into the system. I was never happier to see a player graduate than when she left, she frustrated me that much.
On the other hand, I think a borderline nominee might be Kelly Schumacher - her stats may not get her on this wall, but she was a favorite of mine.

Definitely underachieved relative to her athleticism and hype, but Charde was good enough to be drafted by a WNBA team in 2008. I put her as a reserve on this squad, so she'd be contributing professional-grade minutes in a backup capacity.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So agree on Maria Conlon. A nice player but star?

Who do you put in her place? She played more than 70 minutes combined in two NC games and had only one turnover. No, she wasn't Sue or Moriah to say the least, but our lineup of PGs is pretty thin after those on the Wall. And those on the Wall are the big-time stars.

Reaction Score
I pull Houston, who never really performed at a high level outside of her final Big East tournament. NEED to put Turner on the team; she was rock-solid in the post, maybe the best undersized post we ever had, and helped DT get two more titles, as well. Moore, also; she was a stalwart in the middle, cashing in dimes for everyone. Willnett is a possibility; she was FAB in that title game vs Tennessee, but the rest of her resume is a little light.

I have to add Lishness, not only based on her play, but also having one of the best basketball names EVER.

Does Shoeblocker get a nod for DOMINATING Tennessee in the title game? 9 (really 10) blocks and completely disrupting the TN inside game.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
You need a non-Wall point guard? Someone who will lock down the opponent's PG? Someone who will average 11 ppg and 4.5 apg AND 5.6 rpg? Laura Lishness. Yes, she often played forward but often played the point her senior year ('91) when Debbie Baer's lack of scoring punch was a liability.

Another person to bring in off the bench: Wendy Davis. Her career 3-ptFG% is .439, which is 3rd in school history behind Sue and KML.

Kiah gets on this team on the basis of stats, by the way, no question. She's 4th in blocks while playing about half the minutes that Stewie did.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I agree with Kelly. She really stepped up in the big spot. And I nominate Amy Duran.

Reaction Score
Kinda surprised that no one is showing Caroline Doty any love here. :(
I agree that Caroline should have a spot. After all, we are considering all the players to be in there prime. And Caroline Doty in her prime (read injury free) was very very good. If I ever need an enforcer (read BadAss), she is the one. Paraphrase Col Jessep (Jack Nicholson)..you want her on that wall..you need her on that wall.

Reaction Score
Kinda surprised that no one is showing Caroline Doty any love here. :(
Caroline Doty should have been mentioned early on rather than so late in the game. Even with multiple knee surgeries, she had a very productive career and I only wish we could have seen what a healthy Caroline would have achieved in Storrs! Sad but her grit and competitiveness were off the charts!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
So many people in here mentioning individual players, I thought the point on this exercise was to build a squad, Which to me based on how many players Geno typically use come tournament time is 5) starters, 3) subs :)
** The Squad I'm picking is based mostly on how successful they were during and after leaving Storrs **

Kiah Stokes, Center
Kalana Greene, Small Forward
Asjha Jones, Power Forward
Tiffany Haynes, Guard
Rita Williams, Point Guard

S1 - Charde Houston
S2 - Jessica Moore/Kelly Schumacher
s3 - Maria Conlon/Kelly Faris

Those are my picks a good blend of Scoring and Defense..

Reaction Score
Great players I would pick twelve from - no I am revising to my twelve gritty team - like Michael Kay's foxhole question:
Berube, Bam Bam, Wilnet, Conlon, Jessica Moore, Nicole Wolfe, McClarren, Doty, Brittany Hunter, Kelly, Stokes and for the last shot at the buzzer - Polly Pulido!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom