Let the Carousel begin! | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel begin!

Reaction Score
A Newberry College reference!! I taught math at Newberry as an adjunct instructor for 5 years. It was my first experience teaching college athletes. Maybe because it was Division II...but they all came to class as they were expected to...and several of the coaches wanted to know if any of their students were absent.

At that time, I had a no make-up policy on quizzes. One morning a volleyball player missed class and missed a quiz. Later that morning, she came to me in tears because she had overslept and missed her morning classes and was terrified of what her coach might do to her and how the team would be punished for that. I allayed her fears that I wouldn't let the coach know she had missed...and did allow her to make up the quiz in my office before she went to practice.
Then you might understand how tough it was for me to call that school "Upstate." It's still Carolina-Spartanburg to me, dammit! :( And Rifles was a terrific mascot, while Spartans is the rival school in a low-budget, straight to video kids movie. Worse resume builder than PC's jump, because Presbyterian can always decide to go back. USC-Spartanburg identity is gone forever.

Reaction Score
I didn't say it was accurate - but that was what fans at Rutgers back in the late '90's and early 2000's were saying about the mid-west teams, based largely on the style of play that some of the coaches (especially in the Big 10) favored. It was perceived that this was one of the reasons Vivian was successful at Iowa and even, much later, why Maryland was such a splash when they joined the B1G.

Every conference tended to be "characterized" by fans from other conferences, especially at a time when there were very long time coaches - many of whom built the leagues - setting the tone. Now, even apart from conference realignment, those days are gone forever.
Wasn't taking your reply to be a statement of fact. Was doing a "Canadian conversion" to help it make sense to me. :D

Reaction Score
Joni Taylor makes $1.5 and Vic Schaefer makes $2.3, so trying to figure out what "top 3 money" means, and does that comparison include Texas?
Seems likely that is what this intelligent writer was alluding too… probably needed $1.5 to compete and attain his services (at least), because Geno, Kim, and Dawn make the most.

Reaction Score
I know a former Rice HC who might be an excellent candidate...
Poor Rice… just when they have success. Rice has $$, it’s a great private school, in Texas… just really invest $ in a coach that wants to live and thrive in that community. Maybe the school doesn’t care enough, but it is an awesome recruiting base.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Poor Rice… just when they have success. Rice has $$, it’s a great private school, in Texas… just really invest $ in a coach that wants to live and thrive in that community. Maybe the school doesn’t care enough, but it is an awesome recruiting base.
It happens to almost everybody. Since I'm referencing Langley and thus Washington, they've lost McGuff to Ohio St. and Neighbors to Arkansas. Just lost their football coach to Alabama after leading them to the Championship game. Have lost their last 2 volleyball coaches, one to Notre Dame which was a definite step down in that sport. The other to Minnesota which is a bit better gig, but not by much if you look at UW historically. But better money in the Big 10...which of course UW will now be a part of.

Very few schools are immune to getting their coaches picked off. Money is almost everything.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It happens to almost everybody. Since I'm referencing Langley and thus Washington, they've lost McGuff to Ohio St. and Neighbors to Arkansas. Just lost their football coach to Alabama after leading them to the Championship game. Have lost their last 2 volleyball coaches, one to Notre Dame which was a definite step down in that sport. The other to Minnesota which is a bit better gig, but not by much if you look at UW historically. But better money in the Big 10...which of course UW will now be a part of.

Very few schools are immune to getting their coaches picked off. Money is almost everything.
Agree with virtually everything you're saying.

Jim McLaughin, the volleyball coach you mention, is an interesting guy. He's coached a Men's (USC) and Women's (Washington) team to the NCAA Championship and he, without question, did his most-known work at these Left Coast schools.

Before taking those schools to the heights, he spent one year as an assistant. While there, he met his future wife, an assistant coach in another sport (I think soccer?), who was from the northern Indiana area. They got married and she followed his travels. When the ND position came up, he cited that "it was his turn" to make a move on behalf of his wife, whose family was still in the ND area. While I'm sure Jack Swarbrick, the then-AD, offered a boatload of cash, the family reason was also crucial.

p.s. He did a great job for the three years but had to resign because of a back condition that caused so much pain he couldn't fulfill day-to-day activities in the gym.

Reaction Score
It is indisputably true that UW was (and is) a better volleyball job than Notre Dame, but the ND brand is still a remarkable draw ... especially for folks with last names like McLaughlin. Between that and the Swar-bucks, it was not hard to understand.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I posted this on the main board as an "OT" post I thought it would be of interest by itself. Wows.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Oh My Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
Tennessee or Golden State WNBA Team make a hard push for Kara Lawson

Reaction Score
I really thought she would get one more year, even thought I didn't see them improving and things would possibly be much worse. She wasn't a terrible hire overall but has shown a limited ceiling she won't be able to overcome. After two P5 jobs, I'd say she won't snif a major one again.

Like Warlick, Harper seems like a good person who cared about the program and her players but was unable to produce at the level expected by the fan base and department. That being said, UT better have a big name lined up already or they may wind up on the outside looking in for coaches and players.

Reaction Score
I really thought she would get one more year, even thought I didn't see them improving and things would possibly be much worse. She wasn't a terrible hire overall but has shown a limited ceiling she won't be able to overcome. After two P5 jobs, I'd say she won't snif a major one again.

Like Warlick, Harper seems like a good person who cared about the program and her players but was unable to produce at the level expected by the fan base and department. That being said, UT better have a big name lined up already or they may wind up on the outside looking in for coaches and players.
I thought she did pretty well with the talent they had. The big problem was recruiting.

Weirdly that Cardoso shot almost surely did her in. Had they won, no way they would've fired her.

Reaction Score
I thought she did pretty well with the talent they had. The big problem was recruiting.

Weirdly that Cardoso shot almost surely did her in. Had they won, no way they would've fired her.
Their talent wasn't that great but if she can't recruit better players she isn't the person they needed for the job.

I'd say that loss plus the 2nd round exit were the finals straws.

Reaction Score
The thing is: who are they going to get? A splashy hire seems hard, bc I dont see any obvious splashy candidates.
Would the Oregon State coach leave and go there? I don't really know anything about him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom