Let the Carousel Begin Turning! | The Boneyard

Let the Carousel Begin Turning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Tremendous pickup for them. I wanted him for Texas, but he is from the B1G region of the country.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One thing is for sure. He does seem to be a midwest guy. I expected him to be on a couple of big time shortlists but to stay regional.

Reaction Score
And as previously announced, TAMU asst to Miss St and Fresno's Adrian Wiggins to Ole Miss.

What other BCS jobs are open?
-Auburn
-Texas
-BC
??

Reaction Score
At UI, he's going to have to learn to recruit Chicago, which will be a very different recruiting environment from the little rural towns he worked so well for UW-GB.

Reaction Score
I wish him the best of luck, the Big 10 needs all the help they can get. This appointment is a start in the right direction.

Reaction Score
At UI, he's going to have to learn to recruit Chicago, which will be a very different recruiting environment from the little rural towns he worked so well for UW-GB.

Not necessarily. U of I is a rural college to begin with and more than a couple of hours from Chicago. U of I isn't this easy place to recruit Chicago kids. It has to be done more on the men's side, but on the men's side the more they recruited Chicago the worse the team got. And women's basketball and men's basketball are different. Very rarely are the top girls in the Chicago area playing in the Chicago public league.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Some very good girls have played in the greater Chicago area, such as, Parker. I believe there are a couple more this year in Naperville, too.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Another thing I am reading is Curt Miller of Bowling Green to Indiana.

Well, I guess it's confirmed:
http://www.bgsufalcons.com/news/2012/3/28/WBB_0328120129.aspx

Not a bad history for him. From the BGSU website:
In 11 years at the BGSU helm, Miller had an overall record of 258-92 and a Mid-American Conference record of 135-41. The Falcons have won an unprecedented eight-straight MAC divisional titles over the last eight seasons, with seven outright league regular-season crowns during that span.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
And as previously announced, TAMU asst to Miss St and Fresno's Adrian Wiggins to Ole Miss.

What other BCS jobs are open?
-Auburn
-Texas
-BC
??

List of current NCAA Division I women's basketball coaches

Go to the current coaches column, click on it to sort, then scroll down to "vacant"

If you see any errors, please let me know (or, you can fix them yourself)

I count 24, so I'm not going to list them all

Reaction Score
Thanks, so in terms of BCS, the only other one is Providence, now that IN is filled.

So 4 major jobs left ... if you can count Providence as major.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what Bollant does now that he's at a big school. He's won to this point by finding kids who fit in with what he's trying to do on offense and defense that are regional prospects. He could probably continue doing the same thing, but with significantly better if not top 10-15 caliber recruits, and do quite well for himself. And if he starts winning, the recruiting momentum will build.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not necessarily. U of I is a rural college to begin with and more than a couple of hours from Chicago. U of I isn't this easy place to recruit Chicago kids. It has to be done more on the men's side, but on the men's side the more they recruited Chicago the worse the team got. And women's basketball and men's basketball are different. Very rarely are the top girls in the Chicago area playing in the Chicago public league.

I don't know, one of the best U of I men's teams ever was the 1989 FF team that was coached by Lou Henson and had some pretty good Chicago players (Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill, Kenny Battle and Marcus Liberty). The coaches that followed Henson -- (Lon Kruger and Bruce Weber) -- were unable to recruit effectively in Chicago which many think led to their demise.

Reaction Score
I don't know, one of the best U of I men's teams ever was the 1989 FF team that was coached by Lou Henson and had some pretty good Chicago players (Nick Anderson, Kendall Gill, Kenny Battle and Marcus Liberty). The coaches that followed Henson -- (Lon Kruger and Bruce Weber) -- were unable to recruit effectively in Chicago which many think led to their demise.
1989 is not exactly recent. Illinois's best player in the last 20 years came out of Texas. Kruger jumped ship because he got offered a NBA job, not because he wasn't recruiting. Bill Self came in and was the guy that recruited the players that went to the national championship game. He obviously recruited some kids from the Chicago suburbs, which is not the same thing as recruiting Chicago itself in my opinion. Dee Brown was the only Chicago public league player in that core if I remember correctly. Self worked on Chicago, but he recruited nationally. Everyone told Weber he had to recruit Chicago. And he did, but he lost control of his program in the process. The fans think you just go and recruit Chicago and you'll have a Final Four team, and a delusional belief that Chicago kids really want to go to Illinois. It doesn't work that way. The elite players out of Chicago don't give a crap about going to a school that is still 2 1/2 hours from home. And the 2nd tier players come with issues because its Chicago. The kind of issues that Weber lost control of. Chicago can't be ignored, but you are better off recruiting players that may actually have a reason for wanting to go to school in the middle of Illinois. Indianapolis is actually closer than Chicago. St. Louis is almost as close as Chicago is. Recruiting Chicago just isn't this magic bullet for Illinois that people like to assume it is, especially on the women's side.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
1989 is not exactly recent. Illinois's best player in the last 20 years came out of Texas. Kruger jumped ship because he got offered a NBA job, not because he wasn't recruiting. Bill Self came in and was the guy that recruited the players that went to the national championship game. He obviously recruited some kids from the Chicago suburbs, which is not the same thing as recruiting Chicago itself in my opinion. Dee Brown was the only Chicago public league player in that core if I remember correctly. Self worked on Chicago, but he recruited nationally. Everyone told Weber he had to recruit Chicago. And he did, but he lost control of his program in the process. The fans think you just go and recruit Chicago and you'll have a Final Four team, and a delusional belief that Chicago kids really want to go to Illinois. It doesn't work that way. The elite players out of Chicago don't give a crap about going to a school that is still 2 1/2 hours from home. And the 2nd tier players come with issues because its Chicago. The kind of issues that Weber lost control of. Chicago can't be ignored, but you are better off recruiting players that may actually have a reason for wanting to go to school in the middle of Illinois. Indianapolis is actually closer than Chicago. St. Louis is almost as close as Chicago is. Recruiting Chicago just isn't this magic bullet for Illinois that people like to assume it is, especially on the women's side.

I forgot about Self. He had some pretty good seasons with some of Kruger's recruits, the best among them from Peoria rather than Chicago. In any event, I was responding to your point that the more Chicago kids the U of I recruited, the worse the team. I don't remember the teams coached by Kruger, Self or Weber having a lot of Chicago kids; but the U of I team that did have a lot of Chicago kids (in 1989) was one of the best in U of I history.

Reaction Score
When I said Chicago what I meant to convey is what generally gets called "Chicagoland", all of which is profoundly different from rural northern Wisconsin and the UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom