Let’s play HC a Bit | The Boneyard

Let’s play HC a Bit

Reaction Score
What would it take for UConn to stay close to Clemson. Putting aside the astronomically low odds of even staying within a respectable distance, I would think :

1. The RE turtle strategy isn’t going to cut it.
2. Running wideout screens, delayed zone read runs, or exploiting the edge won’t work. We are too slow and they are too fast.
3. Misdirection and counters should be standard fare to slow them down.
4. We stretch the field and force the DBs to cover long to open the mid range passing game.
5. We use the tight ends aggressibely in the pass game to force the LBs not to not jump the run and cheat up in the box.
6. Put Steven Krajewski under center and use play action. No pistol. It allows fast DEs to speed rush our guys. Under center they have to take shallower path off the line to keep contain.
7. Run an occasional two back power set for additional pass protection with one leaking out as a release.
8. Steven Krajewski has to have a max primary and secondary route read, have a short hold time and throw, dump or run. The routes need to be in the same visual field window. He can’t process and scan the whole field. He’s too slow processing and makes horrible decisions. Passes can’t be long cross-hashes throws. Vertical is key. Otherwise he will be picked.
9. Mensah is probably slower than their DEs. Keep him off the field unless he is pass blocking.
10. Run the Geico baby carriage play.

Thoughts?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
All season we should have run more misdirection. Your list ain't bad, but unless the coaches installed a lot of things that Clemson hasn't seen on tape, I don't see how the leopard changes its spots.

Reaction Score
What would it take for UConn to stay close to Clemson. Putting aside the astronomically low odds of even staying within a respectable distance, I would think :

2. Running wideout screens, delayed zone read runs, or exploiting the edge won’t work. We are too slow and they are too fast.
4. We stretch the field and force the DBs to cover long to open the mid range passing game.
5. We use the tight ends aggressibely in the pass game to force the LBs not to not jump the run and cheat up in the box.
6. Put Steven Krajewski under center and use play action. No pistol. It allows fast DEs to speed rush our guys. Under center they have to take shallower path off the line to keep contain.
7. Run an occasional two back power set for additional pass protection with one leaking out as a release.
8. Steven Krajewski has to have a max primary and secondary route read, have a short hold time and throw, dump or run. The routes need to be in the same visual field window. He can’t process and scan the whole field. He’s too slow processing and makes horrible decisions. Passes can’t be long cross-hashes throws. Vertical is key. Otherwise he will be picked.
9. Mensah is probably slower than their DEs. Keep him off the field unless he is pass blocking.

Thoughts?

For heavens sake, force some turnovers. That's the only thing that will keep the score down and hopefully Clemson can screw up in their own end, but don't count on that.

Reaction Score
I’m kinda hoping we used the 2 weeks off to put in a gimmicky defense that confuses things. I think huge upsets are generally driven by defense, not offense. The D makes stops, often gets a couple of turnovers, maybe deep in the other guys territory to create a short field. That is the classic formula. You seldom win these games by out scoring a vastly superior team In a track meet. You win by playing over your head on defense and making plays there.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I've watched a pretty good percentage of Clemson's games this year.

The key is, indeed, turnovers. DJ has shown the propensity to lock in on a single receiver, almost hilariously poorly. Take advantage, jump some routes, and get a pick 6.

Their running game has also taken a massive step down with ETN's graduation. Shipley is clearly talented, but he's a freshman, so there is some stuff to work with there.

Their defense will likely destroy our O, though - so all of this is likely moot. I have 0 confidence in putting up offensive points against them.

That being said, I'm heading down early Saturday morning, because I'm insane (and the oldest boy has his senior night Friday night, so an earlier departure is a no-go).

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Will be a tough game for sure. If I’m one of the players though, despite the record and all, you have to get excited to go up against elite level peers to see how you measure up.

Reaction Score
It'll take the best week of practice we've ever had, some new plays, accurate passes not dropped, penetration on defense and at east 2 forced turnovers. And the offensive line needs to reinvent itself.

A couple of things about this game is the focus for it should be sky high. And the other positive is that a young team still developing can take strides with weeks to prepare and lots of film. I think we're going to see a lot of positives. Just probably not enough to hang with Clemson for 4 quarters. But wouldn't it be something if we did. A boost for current players and recruits that could help us down the road.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
I'd hire you as offensive consultant for UConn. You've picked about all the "fixable by better and smarter coaching" areas. Can't make the players bigger, faster and better in 2 weeks but sure can make the schemes better.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hold the ball for long time before scoring.
Make Clemson hold the ball for a long time before scoring and stop them once in a while.

I don't know how we intend to move the ball on them. I'm pretty sure we won't be able to run a lick and passing will be fraught with near interceptions.

The only think I can think of that might work is West Coast style crossing routes. Something we don't ever attempt.

Long passes will be jump balls against better athletes and we run screen passes so poorly the DB or DE might just pick it off and keep running.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

But, it did almost work. Head bang

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
That's easy, 6-2 Monster Stack! It's always the right answer.
stack.jpg

Reaction Score
I'd hire you as offensive consultant for UConn. You've picked about all the "fixable by better and smarter coaching" areas. Can't make the players bigger, faster and better in 2 weeks but sure can make the schemes better.
My rate is $500 a day plus expenses (aka Jim Rockford rates).

Reaction Score
Good God. The only serious answer to the initial question is keep them from getting from whatever hotel they spend the night before to the field.

Reaction Score
Good God. The only serious answer to the initial question is keep them from getting from whatever hotel they spend the night before to the field.
We could release swarms of killer bees in the stadium that results in cancellation and rescheduling to 2032.

Reaction Score
Has Tyler Phommachanh been ruled out? When he got injured and they showed him on the sidelines during the Vandy game, he sure seemed to be a guy in great spirits for someone who was just told his season is over. From what I saw I surely thought it was a sprain and he would be back by after the 2 week bye at the latest.

Reaction Score
Has Tyler Phommachanh been ruled out? When he got injured and they showed him on the sidelines during the Vandy game, he sure seemed to be a guy in great spirits for someone who was just told his season is over. From what I saw I surely thought it was a sprain and he would be back by after the 2 week bye at the latest.
He’s out…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom