Lest we forget...Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" speech | The Boneyard

Lest we forget...Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" speech

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While I too, was disappointed by the loss last night in the Final, I wanted to caution the many critics on this board with a speech given by Teddy Roosevelt at the Sorbonne in 1910. It is often referred to as the "The Man in the Arena" speech and many, many of us would do well to reach and understand it, before continuing on with comments that this forum allows friends and foes alike to opine. Of note is the VERY 1st LINE that we would do well to heed.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

I applaud the effort this team gave us and resiliency that this team has shown and will continue to show as it also deals with the next efforts required. Thank you UCONN 2021-22 TEAM.

Reaction Score
Highly appropriate words - thank you for posting this. I'd say they are my thoughts exactly. What a wonderful year of accomplishment and growth we have just witnessed.

And the most comforting thought I have at this very moment in time: The best is yet to come...!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
are we related? this is another one of those lectures shoved down the throats of the youngins in my clan, usually right after the one aboot the emperors new clothes. there are moar, many, many, moar, but who can remember them all when you can't write them down, cuz you don't know how to write yet.
context: back in the day, the Bridgeport Post (Telegram?) had a front page story sounding in 'The Colonel sends Wedding Congrats to Local Couple.'
i guess 'the colonel' was some kind of insiders nickname for mr bully bully.
some family guy was an officer on TR's lead boat of the great white fleet,
The USS Connecticut. anchors aweigh!

Reaction Score
Some player should use her NIL for " elderberry wine" = it is found in the "window seat"
section of your theatre!
Hi, @Zarathustra , which conductor interests you most? Klemperer, Walter, Reiner, or how about Celibidache, my favorite ??

Reaction Score
While I too, was disappointed by the loss last night in the Final, I wanted to caution the many critics on this board with a speech given by Teddy Roosevelt at the Sorbonne in 1910. It is often referred to as the "The Man in the Arena" speech and many, many of us would do well to reach and understand it, before continuing on with comments that this forum allows friends and foes alike to opine. Of note is the VERY 1st LINE that we would do well to heed.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

I applaud the effort this team gave us and resiliency that this team has shown and will continue to show as it also deals with the next efforts required. Thank you UCONN 2021-22 TEAM.
This should be required reading for all who care to post their "I know best" thoughts" on the Boneyard. If only those same posters actually heard themselves as others read their words it might prompt some temperance.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
From the source of "Lest we forget" "The tumult and the shouting dies, The Captains and the Kings depart." How appropriate for the end of a fine season! Both Kipling and DefenseBB hit it out of the park!

Reaction Score

Yes, truly great words. They gave it all. Every member of that team will be a stronger, better person for that experience.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Funny, I thought of this very speech last night when reading some of the comments on Twitter last night, especially from Tennessee fans who haven’t been in the arena (Final Four) in 14 years.

Great minds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How many WBB teams legitimately start the season with the goal of winning the national championship every year, and either win it or come damn close?

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high, and falling short, but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark.”

Michelangelo

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think we need this thread to glow in NEON RED so we can get it across the far too many posters who still wish to carp and beat on the coaches and the players for not attaining what they feel was the preordained outcome. Don't be mad or sad it is over but that we enjoyed the journey despite the final outcome. To do anything less is simply poor sportsmanship and unbecoming of what this program represents.

I was utterly amazed at the commitment, passion and love they showed each other over very turbulant season that did make them stronger. Thank you ladies for inspiring me, that while sad, I am ever so proud and glad to have enjoyed this season with you. Thanks for the ride! :)

Reaction Score
It really is a fine line to walk- you support & encourage your team and you should praise them when they do well. However, it is never wrong to point out where they have come up short and what they need to do better. The key is finding the middle ground: I certainly don't want to come across as a Debbie Downer all the time but neither do I want to be seen as such a fanatic all the time that I won't tolerate any criticism of the team. Honestly I've seen both approaches here lately.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It really is a fine line to walk- you support & encourage your team and you should praise them when they do well. However, it is never wrong to point out where they have come up short and what they need to do better. The key is finding the middle ground: I certainly don't want to come across as a Debbie Downer all the time but neither do I want to be seen as such a fanatic all the time that I won't tolerate any criticism of the team. Honestly I've seen both approaches here lately.
I agree with your position. The problem I have is that for some fans, their issues become “personal”, seizing every opportunity to criticize certain players, while seldom if ever acknowledging their contributions.

Playing sports at the highest level is really hard. For some whose criticisms are over-the-top, two questions always come to mind. Did they ever compete? If they did compete, how often did they come up short? Put another way, “Were they any good?” :oops:

Reaction Score
In America, and probably elsewhere, we tend to glorify victory. Vince Lombardi used to say, "Winning isn't everything; it's the ONLY thing." And Red Auerbach was famous for his "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

But I think Baron Pierre de Coubertin summed it up best: "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." That belongs up on the wall with Teddy's words.

I realize this is little comfort to a team that came so close to its goal, despite overwhelming challenges this year. But it should soothe their fans. When I was in Montreal for the 1976 Olympics, there was a magnificent wall-sized photo mural, in many of the Metro stations, of Finland's legendary distance runner, Lasse Viren, on the final turn to the home stretch. (Viren would win both the 5000 and 10,000 meter runs at those Games.) The words beneath the mural, in French (I hope I'm spelling this correctly), were "Je hate" ("I strive").

This UConn team may have lost the big one, but they took us farther than we've been in 6 years. They were not losers. They were strivers.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
more pithy quotes aboot success from a brilliant man.
cdfd03832e4cc950e65210af52e5eccd.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
-Vince Lombardi

Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds.
- Orison Swett Mardon

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one more quote on 'success' and 'genius,' humbly offered by ol huckster cliffy:
'genius? genius is living past 90 with all or most of ur stuff in reasonably good working order. u win the game of life!'

Reaction Score
Grateful for an adventure season. Brought this poem by Rudyard Kipling to mind. Apologees to him for the changes I've made:

IF
—Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when [others] doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the [work] you’ve [given]
[Dismissed] by knaves [who come across as] fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap [of your next season]
[And play each game of guard and shoot]
And lose, and start again [against all reason]
And never breathe a word [of sore dispute]
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘[Play] on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all [folk] count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving [contest]
With [forty minutes’] worth of [game and fight,]
[You will hear from Husky Nation, “All the Best!”]
And—what is more—you’ll be [UConn, ever Bright!]

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
one more quote on 'success' and 'genius,' humbly offered by ol huckster cliffy:
'genius? genius is living past 90 with all or most of ur stuff in reasonably good working order. u win the game of life!'
I'll never get close to that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I'll never get close to that.
u don't know that, despite whatever ur quacks tell you. im certainly pulling for you, and me, and everrone else playing this game. like a wisewoman once said 'one day at a time.' tru dat.
i know aboot this show cuz of that lady on the baking shows who was in it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
u don't know that, despite whatever ur quacks tell you. im certainly pulling for you, and me, and everrone else playing this game. like a wisewoman once said 'one day at a time.' tru dat.
i know aboot this show cuz of that lady on the baking shows who was in it.

Pretty sure. I know my family history. But that's ok. I'm hoping to make it to 75. 77 would be perfect.

Reaction Score

I'm normally a REALIST. I have emotions for this team, maybe beyond reality. I can't think of one kid on this team I don't have strong caring for, I want each to succeed, each to play their personal best, but personally I thought, especially after the sickness/accident bug invaded the team, that the Elite Eight may be their bridge to far.
I think it is nothing short of AMAZING they got to the NC. The Gamecocks, love em or hate em, was healthier and for most the season (I choke on this--the better team). I'm thrilled for the underclassmen experiencing the final 4 blast. Tony C is rubbing off on me.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Pretty sure. I know my family history. But that's ok. I'm hoping to make it to 75. 77 would be perfect.
My dad lived to 82. He had cancer and the doctors told him he could live 6 more months if he took chemo, but he would be sick while doing it. He said most of his friends , and his brothers were gone, so he was ready to go too. He was happy, my Mom understood, and that was it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My dad lived to 82. He had cancer and the doctors told him he could live 6 more months if he took chemo, but he would be sick while doing it. He said most of his friends , and his brothers were gone, so he was ready to go too. He was happy, my Mom understood, and that was it.
Happened to my mom too. But she was only 49. By the time they caught it, it was just too late.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom