Less Angst, More Love | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Less Angst, More Love

Reaction Score
3 types of UConn WCBB fans (not mutually exclusive): 1. those with UConn/CT connections; 2. those who are amazed by the technical accomplishments of Geno-ball; 3. front-runners.

Whichever one(s) we all are, let’s remember the low expectations for this year (including Geno’s own), and the wondrous miracle that this team is. Whether this season has one, two, or three more games remaining, it has been an astonishing run.

Maybe we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves, worrying about whom UConn MIGHT play 2 or 3 games from now (because we have to focus on playing Maryland Monday night and are still so incredibly bitter that Maryland was put in UConn’s bracket, because that’s going to be a really, really tough game, like we all predicted:)). Let’s continue to celebrate this team. Personally, I’m really looking forward to the amazing Sabrina Ionescu on Monday and watching her for the following 3 years, as she grows into being a superstar. Of course, I’m hoping UConn wins. But if it doesn’t, I anticipate all 8000-plus of us will be standing and cheering the final seconds anyway. A great season by a great, great bunch of kids and coaches.

I've been a sports fan for probably 50 years. No ties to CT. And not a front runner (Bills fan). And while Geno's system amazes, what has drawn me to this team is what has always been the core to the experience of any team fan: it is connecting with team members--their personalities; their character; their blend of talents; their passion; their endless ability to thrill, to entertain, and to find ways to win despite the enormous pressure.

It has been a joy watching these fine young women play and win. Enjoy them, and do so without fear. We are witnessing history. Embrace the moment. To quote Geno, this is a story that nobody, and I mean nobody, saw coming!

Reaction Score
I've been a sports fan for probably 50 years. No ties to CT. And not a front runner (Bills fan). And while Geno's system amazes, what has drawn me to this team is what has always been the core to the experience of any team fan: it is connecting with team members--their personalities; their character; their blend of talents; their passion; their endless ability to thrill, to entertain, and to find ways to win despite the enormous pressure.

It has been a joy watching these fine young women play and win. Enjoy them, and do so without fear. We are witnessing history. Embrace the moment. To quote Geno, this is a story that nobody, and I mean nobody, saw coming!

Connie, welcome to the club. Being a Bills fan, you have endured more downs than up, but now enjoy the rarified atmosphere that is UCONN women's basketball, the gold standard for courage, competiveness and class.

Reaction Score
Connie, welcome to the club. Being a Bills fan, you have endured more downs than up, but now enjoy the rarified atmosphere that is UCONN women's basketball, the gold standard for courage, competiveness and class.
Thanks! Tied to the execution, it is the drama of the competition that drives the experience. Even yesterday, the Bruins kept hanging close (though, based on the chitchat by the commentators throughout most of the fourth quarter, you may not have known that there was a Sweet 16 basketball game going on). I think we've all seen enough to know that no lead is ever safe, that anything can happen. The Bills taught this lesson in a 1993 wildcard game against the Oilers, coming back from a 35 to 3 deficit with about 8 1/2 minutes left in the third quarter, scoring 28 points in slightly seven minutes, and winning in OT. And wasn't it New Mexico that came back from 14 points down with a minute and a half left in an NCAA tournament game about eight or nine years ago, with, what was it?, 9 3-pointers in the final two minutes of the game? This sort of thing can happen to UConn, just easily as to any other team. That's what makes it fun. And it is why we play the games.

Reaction Score
.One very positive effect that all the efforts of Geno and his staff and all the talented and hard working young women who have been and are building this marvelous legend and legacy that is UConn WBB is the increased recognition it is bringing to the State of Connecticut.

I grew up in Andover Ct, just a few miles South of Storrs and attended Windham High School in Willimantic. After working a couple of years in the Boston area a career move brought me to the West Coast where my family and I have enjoyed living for the past 45 years. When I've told aqaintances out here I was from Connecticut, often their eyes would start to glaze over and they might say "oh, that's near Boston isn't it?"(unless they were an officer in the Coast Guard). Now I mention the UConn WBB team and the glaze disappears, the light goes on and they say "oh yeah, UConn - Connecticut!" So, to borrow half of your thread title, Baggs the team has definitely brought "More Love" to the State of Connecticut!

As a first time writer, I have a confession to make. I have been reading the Boneyard now for more than six years but have remained "silent" until now. My excuse is that I have been absolutely awed and somewhat cowed by the really, really high level of basketball expertise that is exhibited in the entries here. I am aware that most of you are or were basketball players and or coaches. As I mentioned, I grew up in Andover, a country town of 540 inhabitants at that time. I never touched a real basketball until I got to Windham High. On October 22, 1954 the Boston Celtics, led by Bob Cousy, Bill Sharmen, Frank Ramsey and Easy Ed Macauley, came to the Windham High gymnasium and played an exhibition game against the then Rochester Royals. Yes, Bob Cousy passing to Sharmen for what would have been a three point shot and leading Easy Ed on a back-door layup in my gym! That was my introduction to team basketball. After that I often listened to WTIC's play-by-play calls of Art Quimby pulling down about 1000 rebounds a game and leading the men's team to Yankee Conference Championships. Oh, one more UConn/CT connection, albeit tenuous, that might qualify me for associate membership here is that although I am not a UConn alum, I did spend a week in the Summer of '56 in residence on campus attending Nutmeg Boys State.

Baggs, regarding your second category of UConn WBB Fan in the thread introduction, I can tell you I feel truly blessed to have seen Cousy and the Celtics brand of team basketball. And I really believe(albeit with a somewhat dim memory of those days in '54) that this year's team brings a higher level of precision teamwork to the game on both O and D than even those Celtic ledgends had. I agree with the comparison to ballet. I have four granddaughters age 9 to 12 and have watched them in numerous "Nutcracker" performances. The precision is great, and the work that goes into it is enormous. The reference to Navy Seals training is good and I would add a comparison to a military precision drill team(maybe a quirky example, but remember the movie "Platoon" with Bill Murray?)

Thank you all for giving me an enjoyable and often educational diversion almost every day during the Fall and Winter. Oh, and I do check in often during the Summer when I sense that the technical aspects of the discussion wane a little and the philosophical gears start to grind. I like it all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Just saw this thread and it's a good one. I will be temporarily distraught, but eventually content if we don't win two more games. It's been a great year! I think it's likely the girls will win both, but if not I hope they can look at it the same way.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As great as Ionescu looked today, Jordan Canada impressed me even more. What moves!

You're right about Canada. She's a local product (Windward High School) here in Southern California. I saw her just once in person during her senior year, but could tell she was special, and would make an impact on whatever program she went to at the next level. No doubt she'll continue to play after college at the professional level. She's very intelligent and very BB savvy. She loves the game, and is very coachable.

Reaction Score
I'm probably along the lines of the second option. I wish I would've started watching sooner, but my first real season watching women's basketball at all was the 2001-2002 season. It started with Stanford, but when I would see UConn play, I would find myself entranced. It was beautiful basketball and it was entertaining. That joy, amazement, and love for the program and each team that has followed has only grown since then.

Reaction Score
RockyMTblue2, Sabrina is a lot like D, just not quite as tall. Also, she doesn't quite have the talent around her D had as a freshman. They will be one of the best next year and for the two years after that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I just came across this thread, even though it was started six days ago, and I really appreciate it on a personal level.

Love and gratitude. Those are my watchwords right now, and not just about this singularly special team we've been watching this year.

My brother Johnny, who lived with severe disability from birth, passed away very unexpectedly on March 12. Although I hadn't lived close to him for many years, words cannot express how I felt about Johnny, what he meant to me growing up, and how he's made me a better person. His three siblings and his parents gathered one week ago today, on an unfathomably windy day in West Texas, to lay him to rest. It was quite probably the most emotional event of my life so far.

In an instant, a new perspective on all else was gained. I have resolved to be more mindful of my gratitude for all things in life large and small, including my fandom of UConn WBB. As I reflect on this season, I realize that whatever happens in the final weekend, I will be grateful for all that has passed, the demonstration of effort and teamwork and a refusal to be confined to expectations.

Reaction Score
I am so very sorry for your loss. I am sure that Johnny felt your love and that of all his family, and that defined the grace with which he lived.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I just came across this thread, even though it was started six days ago, and I really appreciate it on a personal level.

Love and gratitude. Those are my watchwords right now, and not just about this singularly special team we've been watching this year.

My brother Johnny, who lived with severe disability from birth, passed away very unexpectedly on March 12. Although I hadn't lived close to him for many years, words cannot express how I felt about Johnny, what he meant to me growing up, and how he's made me a better person. His three siblings and his parents gathered one week ago today, on an unfathomably windy day in West Texas, to lay him to rest. It was quite probably the most emotional event of my life so far.

In an instant, a new perspective on all else was gained. I have resolved to be more mindful of my gratitude for all things in life large and small, including my fandom of UConn WBB. As I reflect on this season, I realize that whatever happens in the final weekend, I will be grateful for all that has passed, the demonstration of effort and teamwork and a refusal to be confined to expectations.

Thanks for this heartfelt and enlightened post.

The larger perspective you gained is a real blessing, even in the face of this very painful and personal loss. Perhaps over time, the positive value of this perspective--if you endeavor to maintain it--can be made commensurate with the magnitude of the (immediate) loss. Maybe that is where the great balance lies.

Best wishes in the days ahead

Reaction Score
Nice OP Bags.

I fall in category No. 2 and have been following the team since the initial take downs of Tennessee in the 90's. This team has been a joy to watch over the years and to me they provide a blue print for "doing things the right way." I just hope that as a fan I never get to the point where I get obnoxious about the winning and hyper critical when things don't go so well. What I post is tempered by the thought of "would I want someone to say this about my daughter if she was playing?" They are college kids and we should always try to remember that. The coaches are adults so they don't get quite the same pass, but what's not to like with this staff?

Looking forward to the game tonight and hopefully will find myself looking forward to the Huskies winning another title on Sunday after tonight. If that doesn't happen, it will still have been one heck of a year and a much better season than I thought they would have when this year's journey started.

I will watch the championship game Sunday regardless, but I will be much more engaged if the Huskies are in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom