Less Angst, More Love | The Boneyard

Less Angst, More Love

Reaction Score
3 types of UConn WCBB fans (not mutually exclusive): 1. those with UConn/CT connections; 2. those who are amazed by the technical accomplishments of Geno-ball; 3. front-runners.

Whichever one(s) we all are, let’s remember the low expectations for this year (including Geno’s own), and the wondrous miracle that this team is. Whether this season has one, two, or three more games remaining, it has been an astonishing run.

Maybe we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves, worrying about whom UConn MIGHT play 2 or 3 games from now (because we have to focus on playing Maryland Monday night and are still so incredibly bitter that Maryland was put in UConn’s bracket, because that’s going to be a really, really tough game, like we all predicted:)). Let’s continue to celebrate this team. Personally, I’m really looking forward to the amazing Sabrina Ionescu on Monday and watching her for the following 3 years, as she grows into being a superstar. Of course, I’m hoping UConn wins. But if it doesn’t, I anticipate all 8000-plus of us will be standing and cheering the final seconds anyway. A great season by a great, great bunch of kids and coaches.

Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu is a really good player as freshman but not as consistent as Plum.
May be 2-3 years later she can reach Plum's level ???

Reaction Score
I agree. Let's just enjoy the game (or games) ahead. I'm astounded at what this team has accomplished so far. Yup, I'm critical at times - especially in the heat of the moment. But I try to realize that these are young women who work their butts off while trying to juggle school and life. What they do isn't easy. I sure as hell couldn't do it.

Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu is a really good player as freshman but not as consistent as Plum.
I think Plum will be the better scorer, but Sabrina is an amazing passer already.

Reaction Score
3 types of UConn WCBB fans (not mutually exclusive): 1. those with UConn/CT connections; 2. those who are amazed by the technical accomplishments of Geno-ball; 3. front-runners.

Whichever one(s) we all are, let’s remember the low expectations for this year (including Geno’s own), and the wondrous miracle that this team is. Whether this season has one, two, or three more games remaining, it has been an astonishing run.

Maybe we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves, worrying about whom UConn MIGHT play 2 or 3 games from now (because we have to focus on playing Maryland Monday night and are still so incredibly bitter that Maryland was put in UConn’s bracket, because that’s going to be a really, really tough game, like we all predicted:)). Let’s continue to celebrate this team. Personally, I’m really looking forward to the amazing Sabrina Ionescu on Monday and watching her for the following 3 years, as she grows into being a superstar. Of course, I’m hoping UConn wins. But if it doesn’t, I anticipate all 8000-plus of us will be standing and cheering the final seconds anyway. A great season by a great, great bunch of kids and coaches.
Bags, Always enjoy your contibutions........

Reaction Score
Whatever happens, this has been an extraordinarily entertaining season. The living on the edge aspect of it, with such a short bench and so little experience on the team, has made it one of the most enjoyable of the many seasons I've watched. And I've seen a lot of them.

Reaction Score
Whatever happens, this has been an extraordinarily entertaining season. The living on the edge aspect of it, with such a short bench and so little experience on the team, has made it one of the most enjoyable of the many seasons I've watched. And I've seen a lot of them.
Agree. If they run into the buzz saw that is Baylor and lose in the national semi-final, or even to Oregon, then so be it. This team has exceeded my expectations by a long shot. I can sleep easy knowing that starting next year this team is loaded in a way we have not seen in a long, long time, and Geno knows it (just look at the wry smile when mentioning Megatron in a recent press conference). I have a feeling that we're gonna see a team next season (and the one after that) that will have the kind of season senior Stewie did just ripping through everyone.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
UConn had a harder time against UCLA than it has had against many teams. They"only" won by 15. Yes it was ragged, but it also happened to be UCLA's biggest losing margin this year. That includes losses to Baylor and South Carolina. A little perspective.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

See, this is the Bags I am used to and have come to respect! Nice post to reign in the unrealistic expectations of 30 point blowouts that some on this board are now regularly predicting. Team has been one of the most enjoyable to watch for me as I have been able to literally see their improvement game by game. I guess you had coffee and maybe a cocktail or two when you arrived home? ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I have to see more of her, but the player she reminds me of, not saying she will be another, but the player she reminds me of is DT.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I remember several BY'ers (during the summer) commenting that if this team could make it to the great 8, that would be fantastic, and they would be satisfied with that accomplishment. They did not think this team had the talent to win it all. Well, they did make the great 8. But now they want more. We ALL do!!! Three games stand between UConn and the national championship. This team has never been this close before. It's human nature to begin to foster dreams and ambitions about hoisting the championship trophy at this point, you're so close. You're close enough to see your reflection on the trophy, even though it's still just a bit out of reach.

Patience is a virtue. If they just continue to do what they've been doing all year, they will be fine. We all know Geno has preached that thought all season. Play the games as they as they come.................one at a time. All of the vulnerable or less talented teams have been eliminated at this point, and sent home. Any team still alive in the tournament at this point, MUST be taken seriously, very seriously. I can only speak for my self. At this point, I believe that UConn can defeat ANY team remaining in the tournament. In Geno we trust!!!

Winners are not born, they're made.....................here!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Love the gambling analogy. Love what the Huskies have done this season. As an eternal optimist and occasional gambler, all I can say regarding UConn's season is, "Let it ride!!!"

Reaction Score
See, this is the Bags I am used to and have come to respect! Nice post to reign in the unrealistic expectations of 30 point blowouts that some on this board are now regularly predicting. Team has been one of the most enjoyable to watch for me as I have been able to literally see their improvement game by game. I guess you had coffee and maybe a cocktail or two when you arrived home? ;)
you, sir, are a witch! But not a cocktail. A bottle of 2000 Chateau Bellefont=Belcier...just starting to drink nicely.

Reaction Score
I've said before that this is my favorite team of all the UConn teams I've watched over the past 20 or so years. No matter how far they go, or don't go. They no doubt drive Geno nuts at times, but boy have they been fun to watch as they grew and matured into a team. Never seen anything quite like it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great post Bags!
This team has taken us all in an incredible ride and been a joy from the first day through today - it may have given some of us a little too much stimulation in a few games, but it blew through 90 and 100 and hasn't stopped yet. I, like the team, haven't overlooked any opponent because the line between success and failure has been so much narrower this year than in the last few. I love what they have done, I am certainly greedy for more of the same, but at this point I can live with and celebrate any way the script concludes for this year.
Except I really want HBO to run two more episodes and I will be very disappointed if they do not have a new segment airing on April 5th! So ...
Go Uconn! Beat the Ducks!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have to see more of her, but the player she reminds me of, not saying she will be another, but the player she reminds me of is DT.
Saw her in an all star game last year. Really wanted her, but she was never going to come east.

Reaction Score

I'm at least 2 of your 3 requirements---I maybe all three if I knew what the last one was---I don't run anymore--I fake a fast walk.

I thought a lot about the expectations we had, I had, Geno had in November--especially after the first game---yet I kept posting Uconn would make the final 4---mostly as a fan I thought I owed that much loyalty--it didn't cost me a cent or english penny --to be a true fan so why not. I could see 4 loses before today--coming up then in Nov. It was almost a given.

I have multiple Uconn Connections, Me, my daughter, my cousin's (multiple) kids, friends , co-workers . Always amazed (even in the UCLA game) of the technical perfection in execution, Front Runner?????
Geno wanted Sabrina--we have seen why.

If this season ends up on the wrong side---WE all owe Geno and TEam loud cheers---but I'm still looking forward to the rainy april parade in Storrs and and Hartford- If they are not all but carried off the court --on the final game what ever that may be--shame on Uconn fans. If you look up over achievement--in the dictionary you'll see the Uconn team's picture.

As usual Bags---you nailed it --only --I miss the ancient history lesson to go along with it---Plato must have had words for this occasion..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you look up over achievement--in the dictionary you'll see the Uconn team's picture.

I don't think so. I just think they always were Champs in waiting. You don't overachieve for 30 odd games, with the first 12 or so including running the gauntlet of death according to one and all, because you are overachievers. Geno got fooled. He didn't know what he had on his hands.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. I just think they always were Champs in waiting. You don't overachieve for 30 odd games, with the first 12 or so including running the gauntlet of death according to one and all, because you are overachievers. Geno got fooled. He didn't know what he had on his hands.
I think the genius of this team is precisely that it doesn't have the identified superstar. Everyone has permission--and the responsibility--to take charge when necessary. So what that Lou stunk up the place. It wasn't her, or anyone's, responsibility to be the star, and therefore look at the absolutely wonderful game Saniya had today when she stepped up. Gabby's certainly had her down days, and Kia too; even Pheesa's had a off game or 2. but somehow, a couple of other guys step up. Some folks on the BY knocked Crystal today, and she was sort of a space cadet out there at times, but she won the Baylor game, almost single-handedly.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UConn had a harder time against UCLA than it has had against many teams. They"only" won by 15. Yes it was ragged, but it also happened to be UCLA's biggest losing margin this year. That includes losses to Baylor and South Carolina. A little perspective.

UCLA is almost a mirror of UConn. Coach Close is a Geno disciple. Just listen to her talk during the presser yesterday and the post game one today. She is getting to develop that culture everyone talks about. Her players get it and have bought into the system. So playing UCLA was difficult but we prevailed.

We looked a little flat the entire game. Maybe tired for what ever reason. But we win and advance. That is the name of the game.

Oregon is going to be another difficult game. Similar offense to us. it should be great game Monday night.

And we are playing with house money. I thought 4 or 5 loses. I was wrong like a lot of us. There is something about this team. THey believe in each other. They trust in each other to get that basket that's needed. They trust each other that they will get that defensive stop or that rebound. And they do. Today was Saniya's day. She was the difference between and win and a loss. Last game it was Kia burning the nets. Who knows who it will be Monday night. But whoever it is, they will rise to the occasion.

We all need to keep the faith.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think the genius of this team is precisely that it doesn't have the identified superstar. Everyone has permission--and the responsibility--to take charge when necessary. So what that Lou stunk up the place. It wasn't her, or anyone's, responsibility to be the star, and therefore look at the absolutely wonderful game Saniya had today when she stepped up. Gabby's certainly had her down days, and Kia too; even Pheesa's had a off game or 2. but somehow, a couple of other guys step up. Some folks on the BY knocked Crystal today, and she was sort of a space cadet out there at times, but she won the Baylor game, almost single-handedly.

A gauntlet has 5 fingers, hmmm, maybe my prose was a little out of whack. Our team is the gauntlet of death! :eek::rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom