Lenn Robbins : Big East Poised to Invite Boise and Temple | The Boneyard

Lenn Robbins : Big East Poised to Invite Boise and Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Very good news indeed. The BE is starting to act intelligently if the news is accurate.

Reaction Score
Let's hope previous reports of Boise not being interested were because they were waiting for more stability and invites to Houston and SMU.

Does the previous thought that you don't invite unless you are sure to get a yes apply here?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With the Big East announcing it is expanding, there is yet another conference for writers to make unsubstantiated rumors about. I can't tell if Robbins is telling us what he would like to happen, what a friend of his would like to happen, or what might actually happen.

Boise is a great idea, so hopefully this is true.

Reaction Score
With the Big East announcing it is expanding, there is yet another conference for writers to make unsubstantiated rumors about. I can't tell if Robbins is telling us what he would like to happen, what a friend of his would like to happen, or what might actually happen.

Boise is a great idea, so hopefully this is true.

Actually I think Robbins has some excellent sources... He's the one who broke TCU to the Big East.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Based on past history of the Big East leadership, I expect word to come out that they have invited Boise St for basketball only and Temple for football only.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What I'm trying to figure out is, if Boise comes on board, it's obvious to me that WVU and Boise need to be in different divisions. If we swing WVU back East (dammit), and are to believe Navy, Temple and UCF are going to come to, then we'll have 7 Eastern teams and 5 Western (Boise, UL, Cincinnati, Air Force, Houston or SMU)...

How do we work that one out I wonder...or could someone like UCF get left out in favor of adding SMU or Houston to balance?

Just a thought...

Reaction Score
BTW, my positions in previous posts were under the assumption that Boise would not be interested. If they're in, I'm all for pushing stability.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm sure if this is true, Boise will insist on certain conditions. So will the BE football schools. There will need to be discussions on additional teams, division of monies in future contracts, proof of universities commitment to the conference, both those existing and new admits, and contingencies if members leave and/or the conference loses its BCS AQ.

This will require a lot of negotiation. But if they play it correctly the conference could survive. And more than that be better in football than previously.

Reaction Score
Lenn Robbins, though, has written some of the most wild-ass things ever seen on a Sportpage.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
What I'm trying to figure out is, if Boise comes on board, it's obvious to me that WVU and Boise need to be in different divisions. If we swing WVU back East (dammit), and are to believe Navy, Temple and UCF are going to come to, then we'll have 7 Eastern teams and 5 Western (Boise, UL, Cincinnati, Air Force, Houston or SMU)...

How do we work that one out I wonder...or could someone like UCF get left out in favor of adding SMU or Houston to balance?

Just a thought...
Maybe we ought to get the cart before the horse. :)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Lenn Robbins, though, has written some of the most wild-ass things ever seen on a Sportpage.
Then he is probably one of the anonymous posters you have recently run into in this forum.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
I am willing to accept Boise St into the Big East only if they get rid of their gimmicky blue football field. Real football teams do not play on blue turf....that is XFL/Arena football stuff. That should be a condition of their league acceptance!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Just a thought...

I agree with you on this. I think they would put Navy in the West. Travel wouldn't be terrible, since they would be making no more than 2 west coast/Texas trips a year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Where's the fun it that?

In all honesty, I'm warming significantly to this new Big East if it comes to fruition.
I didn't mean to rain on your parade. Your point is valid should any of this NBE turn out true. WV should be in a different division than the one with Boise if both teams are in the BE conference. It's just all so hypothetical about who is in and who isn't for me to be concerned about arguing how to divide teams. But then again arguing about which teams to include is equally fruitless since none of us has any say in the matter. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that every school has assigned at least someone to read all the fans ideas, to make sure they didn't overlook some novel idea.

Reaction Score
This article is from last night. Boise State isn't coming. Too many presidents can't stomach the 4 year graduation rate of its students. It's 12%.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Peterson is rumored to be interested in the now open Arizona job. Inviting Boise St now would be like investing in a high end condo development in Las Vegas and Florida in 2005. The definition of "buying high."

Reaction Score
This article is from last night. Boise State isn't coming. Too many presidents can't stomach the 4 year graduation rate of its students. It's 12%.

They copied Colorado's formula from the early 1990s.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Big time rumor running around that Mizzou has decided to stay in the B12.

Based on the timing (day after SEC meeting yesterday) and reported rumors on the SEC voting counts on expansion...I think Missouri has "decided" not to join the SEC in the same vein that I have "decided" not to sleep with Gisele Bundchen tonight.

Two years in a row that Missouri has over-played their hand.

Reaction Score
I believe the SEC wants Missouri, but they don't want to add them and move a team to the SEC East. I think it comes down to having to add 2 new teams to the SEC East to offset Texas A&M and Missouri. As much as WVU fans want to be added to the SEC, I think the teams for the SEC East will come from the ACC.

Reaction Score
Villanova's offer & the conference's pisspoor evaluation was what exhibited how poor certain Players think strategically. Just bad timing & inappropriate process.

Reaction Score
Let's hope previous reports of Boise not being interested were because they were waiting for more stability and invites to Houston and SMU.

unless Boise has another BCS invitation, how can they not be interested? since they know we're desperate they'll be in a much better chance to get what they want in terms of money (waiving usual entrance fees) and other teams we might add. that's better than they'll get from the PAC or B12. also from their perspective by moving to the BE, they'll become more valuable to the PAC or B12, which is presumably where they ultimately want to end up

also about Boise, everyone probably thought they'd fall apart after Hawkins left, and Peterson did a good job of taking the torch. also considering Hawkins' career after leaving Boise, Peterson may decide he'd rather stay there. personally i'm not a big fan of Boise, i actually can't stand them, but if it'll help us keep our BCS bid so be it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They copied Colorado's formula from the early 1990s.
Do they recruit all their players from LA gangs like McCarthy did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom