OT: - Legend Bill Russell Dead at 88 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Legend Bill Russell Dead at 88

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Russell’s incredible career average of 22.45 rebounds per game is second only to Chamberlain’s 22.89. When you consider that Wilt had 5” and 55 lbs on Russell you can make a case that Russell was the greatest rebounder in the history of basketball.

Reaction Score
Russell’s incredible career average of 22.45 rebounds per game is second only to Chamberlain’s 22.89. When you consider that Wilt had 5” and 55 lbs on Russell you can make a case that Russell was the greatest rebounder in the history of basketball.
I don't think there is any question about it. He also invented and then perfected the art of starting a fast break with a block to a teammate.

Reaction Score
!0 and 0 in Game 7s. 11 rings, 8 in a row. The only interruption other than 1958 was the powerhouse 76ers team in 67 with Wilt, Lucius Jackson, Walker, Cunningham, Jones and Greer. He was the greatest team player in the history of sport. He was also one of the best analysts the NBA has ever seen with perhaps only Hubie Brown being in his company. Russell knew exactly what a team would do in a given situation.

It's a shame he never had a really talented team to coach except his Celtics. The first black coach in the NBA, he did it first as a player coach without any assistant coaches who had not been invented at the time. The Celtics won two of three titles when he was the player coach including the incredible last dance when they beat the Lakers in LA and West was named MVP, the only time a player from a losing team was named. He transformed the sport and few athletes are so influential that they have a synergistic effect on society as well. Many, many coaches and players have stood on his shoulders and many, many more will continue to do so in the future. Sunday afternoon Wilt against Russell was just iconic.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mr. Russell is at the very top all by himself. No one, from any sport, can match him.
Like it or not, like him or not, HE set the standard if you judge “ALL TIME” greatness by the number of championships won.

I remember Magic Johnson saying that when a player retires, the only thing people are going to remember about you is how many championships you won. :cool:

Reaction Score
Back in the day when Johnny Carson took time off, substitute guest hosts came on and were generally forced and dull (with the exception of Joan Rivers). Bill Russell was guest host and moved the show right along and was truly entertaining. RIP Bill Russell, stil the GOAT!

Reaction Score
Being from the New York area, I grew up hating the Celtics, instead rooting for those miserable Knicks. But I was always in awe of them, especially when I went away to college in the Boston area. In four years of listening to Johnny Most describe Celtic games on the radio, I never heard them lose a game fair and square. Either the other team "spent the whole night at the foul line," or the other team was literally "beating up the Celts and refs weren't doing anything about it." But I learned early on that there were certain teams and people you never wanted to bet against -- the Yankees, Notre Dame football, and Joe Louis. To which I would add the Canadiens and, of course, the Celtics.

In my college years, I would often go to the Boston Garden to see the Celtics in the playoffs, sitting up in the second balcony. In those days they still allowed smoking in the arena, and these seats were up above the smoke clouds! Got to see Cousy (I was at his last home game), Sharman, Heinsohn, the Jones boys, and, of course, Russell, the greatest clutch center the game has ever known.

How the Celtics got him was amazing. He had led the University of San Francisco to consecutive NCAA titles in the '50s (in the pre-Wooden era). Auerbach was determined to get him, but there were two teams ahead of Boston in the draft -- the St. Louis Hawks and the Rochester Royals. To get past the Hawks, Red traded his star forward and one of the most popular players on the team, Easy Ed Macauley. When you look up at the rafters at Boston Garden, the only "trivia" number hanging there is "22" -- Macauley's number. It's the only retired number for a player who never won a championship with the Celtics (although he would win one for the Hawks in '58, when Russell was hurt during the finals). And to get past the Royals, Auerbach got team owner Walter Brown (who also owned the Bruins and the Ice Capades) to promise a booking of the Ice Capades in Rochester.

Russell endured unbelievable racial discrimination and taunting from the fans in those early years whenever his team went on the road to certain cities, and none worse than in St. Louis. This was only a decade after Jackie Robinson broke the color line in MLB. But racial tolerance would come much more rapidly to basketball, which is, after all, a game that flourished in inner cities because all you needed was a pair of sneakers and no other expensive equipment. Today, basketball, more than any other sport, is a game of color.

In some ways, Russell was like another great Boston star -- Ted Williams -- who "did it his way" by his performance on the field of play. And ironically, it was Williams who used his "5 minutes in the sun" at Cooperstown, at his induction in 1960, to challenge the Hall of Fame to open its doors to the great stars of the Negro Leagues who never got the chance to play major league baseball. He never got the full credit he deserved for that. Russell, Williams, Bobby Orr, maybe John Kelley Sr., too -- they all belong up there in that Boston pantheon. Awesome memories.

Reaction Score
I cannot understand people who argue about the "GOAT" and then throw out names like Jordan, Bird, James, Chamberlain and Abdul-Jabbar. If you want to know the truth, Bill Russell is probably looking down from heaven right now, laughing, counting his rings, and making a list of the number of teammates he played with who are now, themselves, in the Hall Of Fame because they were fortunate enough to play with one William Russell.

Reaction Score

I was an avid Bill Russell Player fan, he made me into a more knowledgeable basketball fan when he became a "color commentator". His voice during the game, taught the game. I played for years before that. His understanding the details, in's and out's of the game, was enlightening. I thought he was 10 years my junior, we could have gone to different schools together. I miss him already. Thanks Oldude, he'd have loved your comment above.
Correct me if I'm wrong: Bill or Mr Russell, more properly, played for U San Francisco 0R the U of -- one of their last teams, or did they begin again?
One of his comments stayed with me--it was so true. He said something like --You get 4 fouls and you're out. His broadcast partner corrected with --no it''s Five. You get 4, with the next one you are OUT" replied Mr Russell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I cannot understand people who argue about the "GOAT" and then throw out names like Jordan, Bird, James, Chamberlain and Abdul-Jabbar. If you want to know the truth, Bill Russell is probably looking down from heaven right now, laughing, counting his rings, and making a list of the number of teammates he played with who are now, themselves, in the Hall Of Fame because they were fortunate enough to play with one William Russell.
Thank you. I had the pleasure, it was real pleasure, to watch him play on the "tube". Years later I had the HONOR to listen to him preach "the game" as he did the "color commentary". If Bill ain't there, I'm not going!

Reaction Score
Being from the New York area, I grew up hating the Celtics, instead rooting for those miserable Knicks. But I was always in awe of them, especially when I went away to college in the Boston area. In four years of listening to Johnny Most describe Celtic games on the radio, I never heard them lose a game fair and square. Either the other team "spent the whole night at the foul line," or the other team was literally "beating up the Celts and refs weren't doing anything about it." But I learned early on that there were certain teams and people you never wanted to bet against -- the Yankees, Notre Dame football, and Joe Louis. To which I would add the Canadiens and, of course, the Celtics.

In my college years, I would often go to the Boston Garden to see the Celtics in the playoffs, sitting up in the second balcony. In those days they still allowed smoking in the arena, and these seats were up above the smoke clouds! Got to see Cousy (I was at his last home game), Sharman, Heinsohn, the Jones boys, and, of course, Russell, the greatest clutch center the game has ever known.

How the Celtics got him was amazing. He had led the University of San Francisco to consecutive NCAA titles in the '50s (in the pre-Wooden era). Auerbach was determined to get him, but there were two teams ahead of Boston in the draft -- the St. Louis Hawks and the Rochester Royals. To get past the Hawks, Red traded his star forward and one of the most popular players on the team, Easy Ed Macauley. When you look up at the rafters at Boston Garden, the only "trivia" number hanging there is "22" -- Macauley's number. It's the only retired number for a player who never won a championship with the Celtics (although he would win one for the Hawks in '58, when Russell was hurt during the finals). And to get past the Royals, Auerbach got team owner Walter Brown (who also owned the Bruins and the Ice Capades) to promise a booking of the Ice Capades in Rochester.

Russell endured unbelievable racial discrimination and taunting from the fans in those early years whenever his team went on the road to certain cities, and none worse than in St. Louis. This was only a decade after Jackie Robinson broke the color line in MLB. But racial tolerance would come much more rapidly to basketball, which is, after all, a game that flourished in inner cities because all you needed was a pair of sneakers and no other expensive equipment. Today, basketball, more than any other sport, is a game of color.

In some ways, Russell was like another great Boston star -- Ted Williams -- who "did it his way" by his performance on the field of play. And ironically, it was Williams who used his "5 minutes in the sun" at Cooperstown, at his induction in 1960, to challenge the Hall of Fame to open its doors to the great stars of the Negro Leagues who never got the chance to play major league baseball. He never got the full credit he deserved for that. Russell, Williams, Bobby Orr, maybe John Kelley Sr., too -- they all belong up there in that Boston pantheon. Awesome memories.
I was tween-er, Connecticut between Boston and NY. We got the very best of all basketball and the greatest players to ever play the BB game. I lived when CCNY was a basketball powerhouse and the NIT was the goal. NY was not johnny come lately to Basketball excellence. For long spell Boston Celtics were it. Ted Williams, a Marine Corp Pilot played a bit of baseball too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom