OT: - Legend Bill Russell Dead at 88 | The Boneyard

OT: Legend Bill Russell Dead at 88

Reaction Score
D3830E11-3F61-4D8F-87A8-7244DBF42919.jpeg

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Not many NBA games on TV back then but on an occasional Sunday I loved watching
Russell and the Celtics take on Philly with Wilt. Russell maybe 6'10" and slender...Wilt maybe 7'2" and NOT slender.

Kareem's sky hook was great...Bill's soft lefty hook wasn't bad at all.

Reaction Score
Not many NBA games on TV back then but on an occasional Sunday I loved watching
Russell and the Celtics take on Philly with Wilt. Russell maybe 6'10" and slender...Wilt maybe 7'2" and NOT slender.

Kareem's sky hook was great...Bill's soft lefty hook wasn't bad at all.
My first NBA game was Celts vs 76ers at old Boston Garden. Unfortunately, you had to sit sideways to see the court from those seats.

Reaction Score
I can still remember watching, or more often listening, to a game and knowing that when the last two minutes were coming, and Bill was still in the game (he used his fouls), that he would always do something to help win the game. He never was a high scorer, but when it was needed he just found a way to make something happen. I remember too, teammates would say before a game: "Hey we're OK Bill's in the toilet thowing up... He's ready!" Legend. The greatest winner ever! RIP Mr. Russell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Growing up in the 60's, Bill Russell and the Celtics were like gods to me. Bill was an inspiration and the ultimate winner. He eschewed scoring points for defense, rebounding, and team ball - and like he said "My teams won with my style of play and philosophy". And boy, did they ever: 11 titles in 13 years. In the fall of 1962 he and the rest of the Celtics came to our high school and played a pre season game - that was a thrill. I so wish we had decent cameras back then...! In 1972 he did an interview with Don Gillis of Channel 5 where he shared some life advice. What he said that day resonated with me, and Bill's observance about life turned out to be the final piece of inspiration that I needed going forward. I followed my heart and moved across country to pursue my dreams- and did it ever work out. I have thought about that moment many times since, and have always thanked Bill Russell quietly to myself so many times. Thank you Bill for everything, for your heart, desire, fierce winning style and for your life advice....and I'm sure I'm not the only one in your debt.

Reaction Score
Growing up in the 60's, Bill Russell and the Celtics were like gods to me. Bill was an inspiration and the ultimate winner. He eschewed scoring points for defense, rebounding, and team ball - and like he said "My teams won with my style of play and philosophy". And boy, did they ever: 11 titles in 13 years. In the fall of 1962 he and the rest of the Celtics came to our high school and played a pre season game - that was a thrill. I so wish we had decent cameras back then...! In 1972 he did an interview with Don Gillis of Channel 5 where he shared some life advice. What he said that day resonated with me, and Bill's observance about life turned out to be the final piece of inspiration that I needed going forward. I followed my heart and moved across country to pursue my dreams- and did it ever work out. I have thought about that moment many times since, and have always thanked Bill Russell quietly to myself so many times. Thank you Bill for everything, for your heart, desire, fierce winning style and for your life advice....and I'm sure I'm not the only one in your debt.
Thank you for sharing Scud!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I always remember watching a TV game he was coaching the Celts and UConn great but never an NBA factor, Celt end of bencher Toby Kimball was in near the end of a rout. He was fouled and clanked both with Russell laughing in the background.

Reaction Score
As a kid, loved watching Wilt vs. Bill. Classic games, in black and white! A great read is the Last Pass….highlights the Cousy and Russell Celtics. One of Cousy’s big regrets is that he didn’t do more to help Russell deal with life in Boston. Had to wear low, black Cons because that’s what he wore!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
These 2 legends will soon meet up again.

Two legends together again. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Russell. I was standing right behind him in line at Johnny Mathis concert at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas about 20 years ago. He was very nice and cordial.

I just said hello and that I was a fan and left it at that. I didn't try and talk the poor man to death (I don't get star struck when I see/meet celebrities). He was with a group of other people that I'm sure he would have rather conversed with. RIP Bill Russell. I hope I see 88.

Carnac

Reaction Score
As a kid, loved watching Wilt vs. Bill. Classic games, in black and white! A great read is the Last Pass….highlights the Cousy and Russell Celtics. One of Cousy’s big regrets is that he didn’t do more to help Russell deal with life in Boston. Had to wear low, black Cons because that’s what he wore!
Yeah.....................back when there were only 8 NBA teams. There are 30 now.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wilt, when asked who were the players that he hated to play against most, he said Bill Russell and Nate Thurmond (Golden State Warriors). :cool:

Reaction Score
Two legends together again. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Russell. I was standing right behind him in line at Johnny Mathis concert at the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas about 20 years ago. He was very nice and cordial.

I just said hello and that I was a fan and left it at that. I didn't try and talk the poor man to death (I don't get star struck when I see/meet celebrities). He was with a group of other people that I'm sure he would have rather conversed with. RIP Bill Russell. I hope I see 88.
Had the pleasure of playing behind his foursome at a golf tournament. He and Sam Jones, and I think John Bagley… and don’t remember the 4th. Awesome memory.

Reaction Score
I always remember watching a TV game he was coaching the Celts and UConn great but never an NBA factor, Celt end of bencher Toby Kimball was in near the end of a rout. He was fouled and clanked both with Russell laughing in the background.
Yup, that sounds right, 'Russ' loved to laugh, and he had a memorable one!

As for Kimball, he averaged about 10 rebounds per game for his first few seasons, but a knee injury kept him from ever becoming an impact pro player.

By the way, cohenzone, Toby shot just 57 percent from the foul line for his career, but Russell was even worse at 56 percent. Perhaps Bill was laughing from the memory of his own many clanks?

RIP, Bill. You were a great player and, by all accounts I know of, a great guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom