OT: Legal question. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Legal question.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
When we moved to CT, we had a neighbor who had been caught in the Hartford circus fire back in the 1940's. It was the Ringling Bros. circus when it was a big top circus with tents. She had brought her young son to see the circus. When the fire started, she was somehow able to grab her son and she carried him out. She must have been able to wrap him up because she prevented him from getting burned. She wasn't quite so lucky. She ended up with horrific third degree burns over most of her body. Miraculously, she survived, but she needed a lot of plastic surgery. You could always see the burns on her arms and legs. What she endured is unimaginable.

She raised her son on her own because her husband had died. He went on to be an honor roll student and was a great athlete in HS. He was also a wonderful person. Unfortunately, the trauma took a horrible toll on his mother. She was a very nice lady, but as she grew older she became a little senile and eventually slipped into full scale dementia. She still lived alone during that whole time. She would have good and bad days. She used to let us play in her yard, the back side of which was the size of a football field. They had owned a farm but sold most of it for an athletic field at an elementary school.

On her bad days she could be quite nasty, but she was never physically abusive. We knew about her troubles. She got to a point where she would wrap herself in a shroud and go around her house blessing the shrubbery. None of us, including the young kids in the neighborhood, would have ever done anything mean spirited to her. The kids didn't even make fun of her. Her son would come over very frequently to help her and he'd always spend time with us. He became a schoolteacher. Nobody in our neighborhood would have ever dreamed of doing anything to her. People treated each other that way in neighborhoods of a bygone era, and it's sad that it's not like that anymore.

Reaction Score
Good luck tomorrow. I unfortunately have a similar care experience with a loved one with the same condition. I appreciate your position and especially this comment. I was thinking the same think. Just sit next to her, and when they ask questions, don’t answer for her. “Ask her, she is the one you are prosecuting. If you think she’s competent to defend herself in trial, have at it”.
I also offer this with full respect and compassion, but also full knowledge of the capability of this disease and an educated assumption of what it has taken from your wife. “If you are taking custody of her for the remainder of her life because she rang the neighbor’s door bell, just tell me where to visit”.
Funny, I have almost this exact conversation in my mind.

Reaction Score
Call you local TV news departments,and your local newspaper. This jerk of a neighbor is going to continue to cause grief for you unless he is publicly shamed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Absolutely. The burden is already immense. That neighbor has a special place in hell reserved. Hoping for a good outcome tomorrow.

We recently learned just how much this can take out of you. Father in law is suffering from Alzheimer's and my mother in law has ALS. Both started declining rapidly. We had to quickly move them to assisted living, clear out the house they've been in for over 50 years and sell it. Filed claim with Allstate on their nursing home insurance, who still hasn't paid a penny 8 months later. My wife is completely overwhelmed trying to take them to appointments, arrange PT, pay their bills, fix financial accounts etc.

All the best to you and your wife too. It is amazing the burden some people are carrying.

Reaction Score
So, the judge gave me the number of the DA. Advised me to call and set up a meeting. She hinted at a dismissal. Side note, Fox 31 is running a story on this. I think tonight a 530 PM.

Post a video if it's available!

UConnNick

Reaction Score
So, the judge gave me the number of the DA. Advised me to call and set up a meeting. She hinted at a dismissal. Side note, Fox 31 is running a story on this. I think tonight a 530 PM.

That sounds very promising, Madmann. Good to hear. Since she has shown absolutely no proclivity for violence and never has, I think they're going to suggest to the jerkwad neighbor that he can either remove the doorbell, or quit answering it, or invest $99 in a video doorbell so he can see who's ringing and ignore it.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. I would have expected a prosecutor from the DA's office to be at your court date to talk to you.

Reaction Score
That sounds very promising, Madmann. Good to hear. Since she has shown absolutely no proclivity for violence and never has, I think they're going to suggest to the jerkwad neighbor that he can either remove the doorbell, or quit answering it, or invest $99 in a video doorbell so he can see who's ringing and ignore it.
He has one, and has her on video walking away after ringing it.

Reaction Score
Any chance you can post the video once it airs?

So sorry you are going through this. This guy sounds like he belongs in hell today.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any chance you can post the video once it airs?

So sorry you are going through this. This guy sounds like he belongs in hell today.
Lol Sorry you are going through this, but post the video of it for my entertainment. :confused:

In all honesty, though, I was pretty much thinking the same thing.

@Madmannsucks Let us know what the DA says.

Reaction Score
Wow. It really makes me sick that people like this exist. How miserable of a human being do you have to be to react this way over a couple rings of a door bell. It would have taken 1/1000th of the effort just to be a nice person. I really hope the Karma gods come down with Thor's hammer on this d***he canoe.

Really sorry you have to go through this Madmann.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping for the right resolution but it looks like a bit more situational awareness is needed here.
Not really-I got a summons.(My wife)-we showed up. Nothing on the summons says arraignment-I called the court clerk several times and they could not find the paperwork. I could only go on what I had. The judge did not ask for a plea....she recommended I get in touch with the DA, gave me a name and number and advised me to request a meeting and show the doctor's letter.

Reaction Score
Not really-I got a summons.(My wife)-we showed up. Nothing on the summons says arraignment-I called the court clerk several times and they could not find the paperwork. I could only go on what I had. The judge did not ask for a plea....she recommended I get in touch with the DA, gave me a name and number and advised me to request a meeting and show the doctor's letter.
It's still strange a prosecutor was not present. Did you enter a plea, or was a continuance offered deferring the plea?

UConnNick

Reaction Score

Good. That shows they seem to be treating it as a glorified traffic citation. It's sort of like what they'd do for failure to maintain financial responsibility. If you just forgot to put your ID card in the car, but you had insurance at the time, they'll dismiss it if you show them a doc which proves you had insurance at the time.

dantheman

@instorrsnow
Reaction Score
Horrible situation and my thoughts are with you an your wife. This neighbor should have to walk in your shoes for a day.

That said, while I cant guarantee this applies out West, and please do not mistake this for legal advice, here prosecutors will be very gun shy for issuing straight dismissals because it leaves exposure for them under malicious prosecution claims and the officers for wrongful arrest. In CT most cases are disposed of through Nolles instead of dismissals. That said, some buzz words to get a dismissal and let the state know you arnt looking to come after them would be stipulating (agreeing) to a finding of probable cause in exchange for a dismissal. This means you are basically saying, yes an officer could have lawfully made an arrest but after digging into the evidence (wifes doctors letter) theres no case and therefore a dismissal. Be aware that while disarming the prosecutors reluctance to give a dismissal, this also serves as a waiver to later suing the prosecutor or the officer. GOOD LUCK and remember only present facts to the news!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom