Learning the Boneyard, Lesson #2: Report, Ignore, and Polls | The Boneyard

Learning the Boneyard, Lesson #2: Report, Ignore, and Polls

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Let's imagine you're reading the Boneyard and you come across a post that you believe breaks a Boneyard rule or is so horribly offensive that it has no place on the board. It's been there a while and mods haven't done anything about it. What can you do?

There is a feature of the Boneyard called Report that flags posts for review by a moderator. As you're reading this post by me, go to the bottom and you'll see a blue link that says Report. When you click on that, a box will appear where you can type the reason you've flagged the post. After clicking on Report Post, an alert will appear on moderators' screens.

Now, just because a post is flagged doesn't mean it will be deleted. We mods really do try to allow as much as possible here and actually prefer that we NOT delete posts. So, please, don't Report posts where you disagree with the poster or you don't like the tone - that isn't the intended purpose of this function. Egregious posts, e.g. name-calling, trolling, racist comments, transfer or harmful speculation, those are the types of posts that should be Reported.

One brief word on deleted posts - sometimes a person will post something that's perfectly fine but respondents will reply to the post in a completely inappropriate way, then the thread goes totally off the rails. Often, we'll delete not just the responses but the original post as well since it appears to be one that inspires others to inappropriate responses.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
On the next screen, the option to Ignore is just to the right of the Start a Conversation option. Just click on that.

upload_2017-12-24_7-39-55.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A couple things about the Ignore function:
  1. Threads may sound strange because people are discussing something you can't see. If the Ignored poster is prolific, you might be confused by the odd replies that appear to you to be non-sequiturs
  2. If someone quotes the Ignored person, you could see their posts that way. Of course, if you see their name, you can just skip by the quote without a problem but I just wanted to alert you to this

Reaction Score
So the ignore command can be reversed at any time?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So the ignore command can be reversed at any time?
Correct. It's the same procedure, although you'll probably have to go look for their profile to do it.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
This is HuskyNan - Many thanks to Phil for providing a snip of the poll function (more on snips later).

To create a poll, click on Post New Thread, as though you're just going to start a regular post. Down below the box where you type your post, there are additional fields where you can start your poll. You CAN and should type a "regular" post then enter the info you want for your poll.

You should see the following info when you scroll start a new thread. Phil has started entering info for illustrative purposes.

upload_2017-12-24_9-8-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The criteria for the poll is up to you. It seems to be self-explanatory but if you have any questions, please do let me know.

As a mod I'm asking you please keep the questions and responses appropriate and limit off topic polls to off season or during long breaks, like we have now.

upload_2017-12-24_9-16-11.png

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Let's imagine you're reading the Boneyard and you come across a post that you believe breaks a Boneyard rule or is so horribly offensive that it has no place on the board. It's been there a while and mods haven't done anything about it. What can you do?

There is a feature of the Boneyard called Report that flags posts for review by a moderator. As you're reading this post by me, go to the bottom and you'll see a blue link that says Report. When you click on that, a box will appear where you can type the reason you've flagged the post. After clicking on Report Post, an alert will appear on moderators' screens.

Now, just because a post is flagged doesn't mean it will be deleted. We mods really do try to allow as much as possible here and actually prefer that we NOT delete posts. So, please, don't Report posts where you disagree with the poster or you don't like the tone - that isn't the intended purpose of this function. Egregious posts, e.g. name-calling, trolling, racist comments, transfer or harmful speculation, those are the types of posts that should be Reported.

One brief word on deleted posts - sometimes a person will post something that's perfectly fine but respondents will reply to the post in a completely inappropriate way, then the thread goes totally off the rails. Often, we'll delete not just the responses but the original post as well since it appears to be one that inspires others to inappropriate responses.
Thank you. You are the very model of a modern moderator.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Nan, are you implying that there is less need to report a freshly posted offending post? (On the assumption that the mods are likely to catch it soon enough?)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, are you implying that there is less need to report a freshly posted offending post? (On the assumption that the mods are likely to catch it soon enough?)
No, not at all.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Late edit - you can Ignore threads too. The link to Ignore a thread is at the top of the first post of a thread.

upload_2017-12-30_9-13-49.png

Reaction Score
Nan, i don’t remember what i did. Now when I log in, the whole women’s basketball forum is ignored and does not show up in the forum list. What should I do to have it back to be listed? Thanks.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Nan, i don’t remember what i did. Now when I log in, the whole women’s basketball forum is ignored and does not show up in the forum list. What should I do to have it back to be listed? Thanks.

Then how did you see her post in the WBB board and reply to her thread?

Worth noting: 99% of those who can't see the WBB board accidentally hit the "ignore forum" button. Clicking your username, then "ignored content" should show you how to solve the problem.

Reaction Score

Worth noting: 99% of those who can't see the WBB board accidentally hit the "ignore forum" button. Clicking your username, then "ignored content" should show you how to solve the problem.
Where is this ‘ignored content’ button? I could not seen to locate it in my profile.

Reaction Score

Thanks, I just found the “ignore forum”button and resuscitated it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom