leadership | The Boneyard

leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
There has been quite a bit of discussion about who is going to lead this team in the absence of Stef and Bria. What do you all think? I think MTuck is the most natural leader and I wouldn't be surprised if she came increasingly into this role.

Reaction Score
Good question. It is possible that Tuck takes on the role of team leader. Those of you guys that are at the games and see the team on a deeper level will have more insight than those on the outside. I just believe that it will be a junior on the team who takes on the role of leadership. Now it could be Mo or Breanna. Heck it could be Tuck. Somebody on the team, who understands the standards at UConn, will be the one to take the reigns.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The jury is still out on who will take the reins of leadership. This team is still finding itself after having exceptionally strong leadership the last two years.

And its more than just playing time and understanding the standards of playing at UCONN. One must be able to communicate to each player what is happening on the court during the game. Its being able to direct the offense and defense when needed and during breaks for out of bounds plays or foul shots - that little huddle they do. Its having the respect of your teammates. Its setting the example during every minute of practice, every minute of the game and off the court when nobody is watching, especially we the fans.

It could be Stewie or MoJeff or Morgan. I think we will see the leader evolve over the next couple of months. Right now, I have no idea who will emerge as the leader of the team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie is becoming much more vocal. She's angry about the loss.

I expected Moriah to be the leader. We'll see.

I don't know that Kia is seasoned enough for that role yet, but I look for her to take it on early in her career.

Reaction Score
I believe Stewart is already the leader, and she will begin to assert herself more in that role.

Remember there was a Geno quote where he said that Morgan and Stewie played on a couple of USA teams together. Each time Stewie was the star and Morgan was the captain. Also after the Creighton game, Geno said Stewie was a lot better when she had Morgan in the game with her. As Morgan shakes the rust off, I believe she will become the leader. She has an air of confidence and calmness about her that will spread to the rest of the team.

Reaction Score
In the Creighton game I saw Stewie positioning players on both offense and defense and talking to teammates after a play. She was also more vocal in the huddles than she was in the past. This may be a temporary thing until Morgan gets more comfortable but for now I think Stewie is leading.

Reaction Score
Remember there was a Geno quote where he said that Morgan and Stewie played on a couple of USA teams together. Each time Stewie was the star and Morgan was the captain. Also after the Creighton game, Geno said Stewie was a lot better when she had Morgan in the game with her. As Morgan shakes the rust off, I believe she will become the leader. She has an air of confidence and calmness about her that will spread to the rest of the team.
Plus 1. Stewie can make her teammates better, but Morgan can make Stewie better. There is no one on this team (or last year's for that matter) that Stewie likes and respects more.

Reaction Score
I believe Stewart is already the leader, and she will begin to assert herself more in that role.
I think she has to be for this team to get to where they want and have the talent to get to: NC#10

Reaction Score
I don't think it's Stewie. Stewie to me looks like she just wants to be a basketball player, albeit the best one in the college game, which is fine. Not every upperclassmen wants to or can bear the weight of a leadership role.

Reaction Score
It has to be a star, a starter and a guard IMO. MoJett, she brings the ball down court while the team is setting up. It's just the ideal. Trouble is she's not acting the part so far. Geno should insist on it. Then she'll step up.

Reaction Score
It has to be a star, a starter and a guard IMO. MoJett, she brings the ball down court while the team is setting up. It's just the ideal. Trouble is she's not acting the part so far. Geno should insist on it. Then she'll step up.

I agree it has to be a starter. Beyond that, leadership skills are the necessary ingredient. Bill Russell was the Celtics team leader as a center for instance. Larry Bird was a forward for a small college that played for a national championship.

Reaction Score
Stewie has no choice. She's the one. It's the next step.
Not gonna be MoJett. She's simply too fast, an excellent weapon. Tunnel vision (awesome player).
Morgan is too brutal. Forces too much. Kinda tunnel vision like MoJett (awesome player).
KML too busy getting open and boxing out for rebounds (awesome player).
Stokes. Not there yet (awesome player).
Nurse. Simply not in Stewies class yet (awesome player).
Chong seems to have issues to overcome (awesome player).
Stewie does not seem to force anything. The only thing keeping her back is her easy nature. Time to grow up I think.
Sorry if I offended anyone. We all have our favorites it seems.

Reaction Score
Stewie has no choice. She's the one. It's the next step.
Not gonna be MoJett. She's simply too fast, an excellent weapon. Tunnel vision (awesome player).
Morgan is too brutal. Forces too much. Kinda tunnel vision like MoJett (awesome player).
KML too busy getting open and boxing out for rebounds (awesome player).
Stokes. Not there yet (awesome player).
Nurse. Simply not in Stewies class yet (awesome player).
Chong seems to have issues to overcome (awesome player).
Stewie does not seem to force anything. The only thing keeping her back is her easy nature. Time to grow up I think.
Sorry if I offended anyone. We all have our favorites it seems.
Totally agree - "no choice"

Reaction Score
I think Kia Nurse most logical fit..... doesn't need to be stewie... she can be part of it as can the others ..... but I think natural fit is for a guard to have this role...... I know Dolson was it last year..... but I see Nurse stepping into this position

Reaction Score
I think Kia Nurse most logical fit..... doesn't need to be stewie... she can be part of it as can the others ..... but I think natural fit is for a guard to have this role. I know Dolson was it last year..... but I see Nurse stepping into this position

A bit optimistic but I like the confidence you have in her vs. some posters who demean her because they love Saniya.

Reaction Score
A bit optimistic but I like the confidence you have in her vs. some posters who demean her because they love Saniya.

I'm on the Nurse bandwagon. Leadership is a quality that you either have or you don't. If you have it, it can be grown. If you don't have it, it ain't happening.

Having watched and participated in sports, it seems rare that the superstar is the leader, almost like the two jobs are antithetical. And that isn't even considering that not everyone, no matter how good they may be, wants to be a leader.

We've all worked, and good leadership is rare. It doesn't come with a title or talent. A good leader has a personal belief in a vision and the understanding that if the goal is to be obtained, everyone has to be empowered to contribute in their unique way.

I realize it's early times with Nurse, but I see (feel?) that Rizzotti, Bird, Montgomery vibe with her.

YMMV

Reaction Score
This won't clear up a thing but don't some players just naturally come by leadership qualities long before they get to campus? Rizzotti, Ralph, Cash, Taurasi, Moore and Dolson, to name a few, had intrinsic traits of leadership easy to see but difficult to define long before they suited up for the Huskies. I agree with all the posters that leadership is lacking with this years team but question if you truly "make" someone a leader by simply designating them to do so. It's a quality within a given individual that the players and staff recognize and slowly give that individual the confidence to take over the leadership role as the season unfolds. I want it to be Stewie but might be confusing talent with leadership. In my heart Kia Nurse is a natural born leader, but ... *

* reader participation

Reaction Score
There is a tendency to annoint the star of a team as the defato leader. I won't go along. Obviously, in many cases it works itself out as such. This is my off the wall view: the current vacuum(?) reminds me of the situation that briefly existed between Moore on one side and Doty/Hayes on the other. Clearly, Moore was the leader, but it was Dolson and her craziness that lightened-up the team (even Moore was forced to participate in some of the dances). We have never talked about it, but KML has been forced to take a back seat to Stewart and is often forgotten by the press- even her outstanding accomplishments. No one here for example mentioned her (not withstanding the fact that she, as Stewart, is not the one to sign up for the job). I suspect that it will be the two seniors. If not, Morgan and Jefferson. Morgan sat for a year on the bench seeing the game through the eyes of the coaches. And they are neutral.

Reaction Score
I agree it has to be a starter. Beyond that, leadership skills are the necessary ingredient. Bill Russell was the Celtics team leader as a center for instance. Larry Bird was a forward for a small college that played for a national championship.
Ok, but I think leadership can be learned.

Reaction Score
I'm on the Nurse bandwagon. Leadership is a quality that you either have or you don't. If you have it, it can be grown. If you don't have it, it ain't happening.

Having watched and participated in sports, it seems rare that the superstar is the leader, almost like the two jobs are antithetical. And that isn't even considering that not everyone, no matter how good they may be, wants to be a leader.

We've all worked, and good leadership is rare. It doesn't come with a title or talent. A good leader has a personal belief in a vision and the understanding that if the goal is to be obtained, everyone has to be empowered to contribute in their unique way.

I realize it's early times with Nurse, but I see (feel?) that Rizzotti, Bird, Montgomery vibe with her.

YMMV

Well said!

Reaction Score
Ok, but I think leadership can be learned.

I disagree. Leaders can hone their skills but they have to start with a basis of leadership attributes. Put a small group of people in a room to discuss a particular topic and one will emerge as the person most of the group will follow. It is a self confidence combined with a vision that other people believe in that forms the basis for leadership. It is not seniority, it is not being the best player, and it is not being appointed the leader.

Reaction Score
Your best player isn't necessarily your best leader. And vice versa.

To some leadership comes naturally, others have to really work at it and still others don't have it & don't want it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I disagree. Leaders can hone their skills but they have to start with a basis of leadership attributes. Put a small group of people in a room to discuss a particular topic and one will emerge as the person most of the group will follow. It is a self confidence combined with a vision that other people believe in that forms the basis for leadership. It is not seniority, it is not being the best player, and it is not being appointed the leader.
The military teaches leadership every day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom